Hacking Anyway to update my current hack from 4.4 to the latest?

tofast4u

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He need to boot.firm on the sd card to do that which he has removed and that's what's giving him the blue light at the moment
I have the boot.firm on my SD card.

EDIT: I blew on the SD card and reinserted it into the 3DS and now it has booted up. Really strange.

Last edited by tofast4u,

tofast4u

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am finished with the guide and it seems like I've got everything set up. I made sure to also copy my previous emunand into my system nand. However it seems like all my old games/CIA's that I've installed are no longer here. Did I do something wrong?

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is zero evidence of that being the case. When people who got hit by the ban wave got asked what they had been doing the vast majority had previously played at least one online game before it realese date. There was a huge discussion about this on the temp a few months after the ban wave happend and most of the homebrew devs all agreed that the bans were for playing games before realese and nothing else.
I got hit by that banwave. I never played a game/installed a game prior to release date. I never cheated. And my eShop account is just fine. No stolen credit cards here.

tofast4u

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am finished with the guide and it seems like I've got everything set up. I made sure to also copy my previous emunand into my system nand. However it seems like all my old games/CIA's that I've installed are no longer here. Did I do something wrong?
Can anyone else help?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone else help?
Your collection of tickets from the SysNAND was overwritten and deleted when the EmuNAND was moved over as the new SysNAND.

For titles you purchased and downloaded from Nintendo eShop on your SysNAND, all you real tickets are deleted.

If you pirated your stuff, the lose isn't significant. You can restore missing tickets with faketik.

Another possibility for missing titles is that your EmuNAND and SysNAND were using different encryption keyY's in their movable.sed. Check your Nintendo 3DS folder for separate 32-char <ID0> subfolders.
  • Don't confuse the <ID0> folder with the <ID1>, which is another 32-char subfolder within <ID0>.

If you find there are two distinct <ID0>, you'll need to combine the two sets.
  1. Backup your current set of saves + extdata with Checkpoint or JKSM.
    • This is for safety in case your two setups had the same games with different saves/extdata.
  2. Backup your present SysNAND *.bin image.
  3. Use the gm9 script CTRTransfer (Type D9) - Fix movable.sed KeyY to temporarily revert the movable.sed back to the original's SysNAND encryption.
  4. Restore the tickets for missing HOME Menu titles with faketik.
  5. Backup all the saves + extdata with Checkpoint or JKSM.
  6. Backup all the games, updates, and DLCs into CIAs in GodMode9.
  7. Restore your SysNAND with the image made from step 1.
  8. Reinstall all the titles created from step 6 with FBI.
  9. Restore the saves + extdata with save manager of choice.
  10. Mass unwrap all the fresh HOME Menu icons with Cthulhu.

There are two other approaches that can combine Nintendo 3DS / <ID0> (sub)bfolders that are slightly easier and faster, but I don't feel they're appropriate in this scenario.
  • One of them is a feature in that Type D9 script, Rebuild 3DS Database (Full)... I personally advise against it because there's special considerations with the anti-cheat save protection (Secure Value) found in certain games and how it handles NAND tickets.
  • The other option isn't ready for wide public adoption, and it's currently being tested in the nightly GodMode9: Cross Nintendo 3DS folder sharing or cloning / SDMC Nintendo 3DS Transfer / "SDTransfer".

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

tofast4u

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your collection of tickets from the SysNAND was overwritten and deleted when the EmuNAND was moved over as the new SysNAND.

For titles you purchased and downloaded from Nintendo eShop on your SysNAND, all you real tickets are deleted.

If you pirated your stuff, the lose isn't significant. You can restore missing tickets with faketik.

Another possibility for missing titles is that your EmuNAND and SysNAND were using different encryption keyY's in their movable.sed. Check your Nintendo 3DS folder for separate 32-char <ID0> subfolders.
  • Don't confuse the <ID0> folder with the <ID1>, which is another 32-char subfolder within <ID0>.

If you find there are two distinct <ID0>, you'll need to combine the two sets.
  1. Backup your current set of saves + extdata with Checkpoint or JKSM.
    • This is for safety in case your two setups had the same games with different saves/extdata.
  2. Backup your present SysNAND *.bin image.
  3. Use the gm9 script CTRTransfer (Type D9) - Fix movable.sed KeyY to temporarily revert the movable.sed back to the original's SysNAND encryption.
  4. Restore the tickets for missing HOME Menu titles with faketik.
  5. Backup all the saves + extdata with Checkpoint or JKSM.
  6. Backup all the games, updates, and DLCs into CIAs in GodMode9.
  7. Restore your SysNAND with the image made from step 1.
  8. Reinstall all the titles created from step 6 with FBI.
  9. Restore the saves + extdata with save manager of choice.
  10. Mass unwrap all the fresh HOME Menu icons with Cthulhu.

There are two other approaches that can combine Nintendo 3DS / <ID0> (sub)bfolders that are slightly easier and faster, but I don't feel they're appropriate in this scenario.
  • One of them is a feature in that Type D9 script, Rebuild 3DS Database (Full)... I personally advise against it because there's special considerations with the anti-cheat save protection (Secure Value) found in certain games and how it handles NAND tickets.
  • The other option isn't ready for wide public adoption, and it's currently being tested in the nightly GodMode9: Cross Nintendo 3DS folder sharing or cloning / SDMC Nintendo 3DS Transfer / "SDTransfer".
When I enter my Nintendo 3DS folder I see two folders. A private folder, and a 32-char folder. Once I click on the 32-char folder there are two 32-char folders in that one.

EDIT: When I try to run faketik through the homebrew launcher it crashes and says An exception occurred.

Last edited by tofast4u,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I enter my Nintendo 3DS folder I see two folders. A private folder, and a 32-char folder. Once I click on the 32-char folder there are two 32-char folders in that one.

EDIT: And how do I install .3DSx files?
Those go in the sdmc:/3ds folder and work in conjunction with Homebrew Launcher (sdmc:/boot.3dsx) through the Rosalina Menu injection.

Nintendo 3DS/
<ID0>/
<ID1 - first>
<ID1 - second>
Private/

Figure out which of the two <ID1> subfolders your SysNAND defaults to. You'll have to move out the main <ID1> so that GodMode9 can pick up on the other.

Boot to HOME Menu and check if your 3DS recognizes anything from the 2nd <ID1>. Also check in System Settings for signs of missing tickets.

If that set is acknowledged, you may continue with the post #27 instructions. If the available free space on the card is less than the total amount to backup that <ID1> set of titles into CIA, you may use the CTRTransfer (Type D9) - Rebuild 3DS Database (Full) to get around the limitation as long as your card has a minimum of 4 GB free space.

EDIT: When I try to run faketik through the homebrew launcher it crashes and says An exception occurred.
Try placing Homebrew Launcher in a different system title. If it crashes again, you might need to resort to using a pre-dumped set of fake tickets (TIK files) found at that ISO site (requires FBI to selectively install individual tickets).

tofast4u

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those go in the sdmc:/3ds folder and work in conjunction with Homebrew Launcher (sdmc:/boot.3dsx) through the Rosalina Menu injection.

Nintendo 3DS/
<ID0>/
<ID1 - first>
<ID1 - second>
Private/

Figure out which of the two <ID1> subfolders your SysNAND defaults to. You'll have to move out the main <ID1> so that GodMode9 can pick up on the other.

Boot to HOME Menu and check if your 3DS recognizes anything from the 2nd <ID1>. Also check in System Settings for signs of missing tickets.

If that set is acknowledged, you may continue with the post #27 instructions. If the available free space on the card is less than the total amount to backup that <ID1> set of titles into CIA, you may use the CTRTransfer (Type D9) - Rebuild 3DS Database (Full) to get around the limitation as long as your card has a minimum of 4 GB free space.
I've got the Homebrew Launcher working however when I launch the app "Faketik" it crashes and tells me to press any button to shutdown

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Update: I have deleted one of the ID1 folders(First backed it up into my computer of course). Reinserted my SD card into the 3DS and volla all my games and titles from before are back. And they launch. The first folder had my legit titles that I've bought like Phoenix Wright from the eShop so now that game is gone however.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got the Homebrew Launcher working however when I launch the app "Faketik" it crashes and tells me to press any button to shutdown
I edited my post about injecting HBL in a different system title. If faketik still crashes despite changing the injected title, you'll have to skip faketik & properly backing up the saves + extdata with a save manager. Resort to Rebuild 3DS Database (Full) to dump CIAs and backup / restore saves.

I hope you didn't do anything silly like merge the two <ID1> into a single folder. Doing that will desync the list in the (title & import) database files versus those found in the title sub-sub-folder.

Update: I have deleted one of the ID1 folders(First backed it up into my computer of course). Reinserted my SD card into the 3DS and volla all my games and titles from before are back. And they launch. The first folder had my legit titles that I've bought like Phoenix Wright from the eShop so now that game is gone however.
Rename the Nintendo 3DS folder to Nintendo 3DS (main). Copy and paste back the backed up Nintendo 3DS folder that contains only the <ID1> folder that was previously deleted. Attempt backing up the saves, extdata, and CIAs. Remove that 2nd set Nintendo 3DS folder, and rename the Nintendo 3DS (main) back to Nintendo 3DS. Reinstall/restore everything that was extracted from <ID1>.

tofast4u

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I edited my post about injecting HBL in a different system title. If faketik still crashes despite changing the injected title, you'll have to skip faketik & properly backing up the saves + extdata with a save manager. Resort to Rebuild 3DS Database (Full) to dump CIAs and backup / restore saves.

I hope you didn't do anything silly like merge the two <ID1> into a single folder. Doing that will desync the list in the (title & import) database files versus those found in the title sub-sub-folder.
No I didn't merge both folders. I'm okay with losing whatever was on that first folder. Is it still necessary for me to run faketik or rebuild 3DS database? Because at this point it seems like I got all my games back and they launch and I still have the saves.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No I didn't merge both folders. I'm okay with losing whatever was on that first folder. Is it still necessary for me to run faketik or rebuild 3DS database? Because at this point it seems like I got all my games back and they launch and I still have the saves.
See my above post #31 in how to go about getting stuff back from the deleted <ID1> folder.

Whatever becomes of your single sdmc:/Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1> folders library, you'll have to double check whether you're still missing any tickets at:
  • System Settings → Data Management → Nintendo 3DS → Software | Downloadable Content

Rebuild 3DS Database (Full) was one of the available tools that could have aided you in migrating and merging the (deleted) <ID1> to the (main) <ID1>. This one you don't need to use if the first approach (ie, manually dump titles into CIAs & backing up saves + extdata with Checkpoint/JKSM) works out for you.

tofast4u

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See my above post #31 in how to go about getting stuff back from the deleted <ID1> folder.

Whatever becomes of your single sdmc:/Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1> folders library, you'll have to double check whether you're still missing any tickets at:
  • System Settings → Data Management → Nintendo 3DS → Software | Downloadable Content

Rebuild 3DS Database (Full) was one of the available tools that could have aided you in migrating and merging the (deleted) <ID1> to the (main) <ID1>. This one you don't need to use if the first approach (ie, manually dump titles into CIAs & backing up saves + extdata with Checkpoint/JKSM) works out for you.
Seems like all my tickets are fine when I go to Downloadable content. No X marks anywhere

Socke81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi,
i have version 4.5 and emunand 10x. I haven't touched my old 3ds for years. But I'd like to update it now.
If I follow the 3ds.hacks.guide, do I have to select "All versions" and then install the Soundhax?
I have a DS Flash card. R4i 3DS Gold. But it doesn't work with newer firmware versions than 4.5. That's why I stayed on this version. I don't want to miss DS backups.

I would like to update the emunand and boot it somehow automatically. But that's not possible, is it?

Last edited by Socke81,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hi,
i have version 4.5 and emunand 10x. I haven't touched my old 3ds for years. But I'd like to update it now.
If I follow the 3ds.hacks.guide, do I have to select "All versions" and then install the Soundhax?
I have a DS Flash card. R4i 3DS Gold. But it doesn't work with newer firmware versions than 4.5. That's why I stayed on this version. I don't want to miss DS backups.

I would like to update the emunand and boot it somehow automatically. But that's not possible, is it?
You have 4.x and a DS flashcart, so you can use MSET.

I just realised it isn't in the get started version table so here is a link: https://3ds.hacks.guide/installing-boot9strap-(mset)

You will be able to update the system and also not have to worry about emuNAND, everything will be on sysNAND.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Socke81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Will my DS card still work after that? I don't want to lose DS compatibility. This card is officially not compatible with newer firmware versions.

Last edited by Socke81,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Will my DS card still work after that? I don't want to lose DS compatibility. This card is officially not compatible with newer firmware versions.
Once you're on B9S your card should always work. If you want to be extra sure, you can make a NAND backup before you update so you can easily return to 4.4

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country

Yes it will but if your card is that old you might look into playing DS games from the 3ds sd card directly via nds-bootstrap (which can also boot your slot 1 card and even "overclock" the cpu to dsi speed). And yes said "overclocking" is safe since it really isn't overclocking, the worst that will happen is a game either won't work right or crash in which case just turn it off.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous...