Hacking Anyone Hoping for DS Roms through DSi SD card -

Kingfield

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Why?

Simply because DS Roms need to save. And there would be no mechanism which would allow it to save to the SD Card.

So put simply, DSiWare through SD Card is posible, but DS Roms? NO.

A big fat no.

IzzehO

Trophies
XP
Country
Ah the ever present pessimists. Do you have any idea how many times people like you have popped on - only to take back there words 2 days later?

Kingfield

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
IzzehO said:
Ah the ever present pessimists. Do you have any idea how many times people like you have popped on - only to take back there words 2 days later?
I'll be more than happy if you prove me wrong.

Don't misunderstand, of course I would like this to happen as well.

But it's not gonna. End of story.

GTScelica93

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS roms bootable directly from the SD card? Probably not.

But a flashcart that will boot a rom that resides on the SD card? That I could see. There is bound to retail games that could allow a direct link to the system/SD filesystem (camera based games, saving in-game screen shots, etc). If this happens, I could see a flashcart obtaining the ability to access this file system and boot roms.

Personally, I'm fine with having a working flashcart with 8GB SDHC. What I'm waiting for is the VC/DSiware that can run off of the SD card.

Carnivean

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
Kingfield said:
Why?

Simply because DS Roms need to save. And there would be no mechanism which would allow it to save to the SD Card.

So put simply, DSiWare through SD Card is posible, but DS Roms? NO.

A big fat no.

Because there's no such thing as a slot 2 device for the normal DS. The normal DS which saves normally to slot 1...

...Oh wait!

IchigoK2031

Wannabe Shirow Miwa...
Trophies
Website
yuukouken.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
GTScelica93 said:
DS roms bootable directly from the SD card? Probably not.

But a flashcart that will boot a rom that resides on the SD card? That I could see. There is bound to retail games that could allow a direct link to the system/SD filesystem (camera based games, saving in-game screen shots, etc). If this happens, I could see a flashcart obtaining the ability to access this file system and boot roms.

Personally, I'm fine with having a working flashcart with 8GB SDHC. What I'm waiting for is the VC/DSiware that can run off of the SD card.

Thats a biggy, I could see square-enix releasing a song summoner - esque game and using audio stored on the sd card or the like, but the best thing of course the best thing is a custom firmware that takes out the protection or a special installer that blocks it, either way, if you don't do that, ninty could block flashcards with an update any time.

N-TG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
I think there were a ipod game an rpg... That could analyse songs and produce random characters...
It was from square enix I think...so it could work...

Also...crackers are cracked through many systems and protections...so just w8...

Kingfield

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Vague Rant said:
Kingfield, could you explain the logic behind your viewpoint? I'm not disagreeing with you, I'd just like to hear your explanation of what makes saving to SD impossible.
Because it isn't implemented in the original software, therefore it will take a lot of work.

However, as some people pointed out earlier, IF nintendo implements the save system into the games then it MIGHT be possible.

There is another reason as well.

To keep things simple, it will require an immense amount of hacking for this to be allowed.

The reason why the PSP was able to do this was because it was ORIGINALLY able to (from an official firmware).

Therefore from an altered firmware, this was also possible.

Since the DSi is not capable to play DS roms from the beginning, there is little to no chance that it will ever work.

KEEP IN MIND. I AM SAYING. THAT ROMS WILL NOT BE BOOTABLE FROM DSi MENU not in flashcarts etc.

ChoboNiNjA37

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And with the DSi firmware updates, possibly even flashcarts wont work in the future, but who knows...

I think we can all agree that it's too soon to say anything right now, but what Kingfield said is probably most likely.

But would I like to see it happen? Sure...I think we all do, but I'm not planning on it happening.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Kingfield is talking the biggest load of crap. On the DS, we could play roms and save to slot 2, when the original carts saved to slot 1, we just needed to patch, so thats probably what'll happen here too. We'll have to patch. Then a Custom Firmware will be released which will auto-patch for us and we wont need to any more. All we need is an exploit to allow us to access the SD card and run homebrew and ROMs from it, so this can become reality...

Kingfield

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
SifJar said:
Kingfield is talking the biggest load of crap. On the DS, we could play roms and save to slot 2, when the original carts saved to slot 1, we just needed to patch, so thats probably what'll happen here too. We'll have to patch. Then a Custom Firmware will be released which will auto-patch for us and we wont need to any more. All we need is an exploit to allow us to access the SD card and run homebrew and ROMs from it, so this can become reality...
you sir, are talking the biggest load of crap.

you clearly are uneducated in the field of electronics and the workings of operating systems.

so therefore, i will not bother trying to convince you about anything.

moisesmcardona

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Kingfield said:
SifJar said:
you sir, are talking the biggest load of crap.

you clearly are uneducated in the field of electronics and the workings of operating systems.

so therefore, i will not bother trying to convince you about anything.

Well, i think SifJar is right. If loading and saving directly from Slot-2 on the DS and DS Lite is possible , then, Why not on the DSi SD Card

xDlmaoxD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's possible, just look at the PSP it's more powerful that the DSi in comparison but it was hack rather easy.
Nintendo however made it less likely for their handheld to be hack, by not allowing us to run and view our own photos, mp3, movies, and game saves. Possible exploits can be found in either game saves and photos.
However DS Games save directly on its cartage not on the DS or DSi.
It's possible for someone to hack the DSiWare which saves in the DSi SD card.
If the DSiWare is ever hack and someone found a way to be able to load any save file, for example loading a save file from someone who finish Dr.Mario, now imagine someone finding an exploit and once you turn on the game it loads the save, it loads the exploit.
In theory it can happen, but there will have to be someone that knows how the DSi works and as you may not see no one has been able to fully hack the DSi. Not talking about flash cards, talking about soft modding.
Its folish to say it will never happen, its bound to happen sometime.

If you can freaking run a homebrew to allow you to view DPG videos, and able to hack in a game why not a simple patch so it saves the game?
That would seem rather simple in comparison.

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A homebrew rom loader isn't out of the question. As far as I know, DSi games are able to save, so a shell that loads a NDS binary, and points the binary to the appropriate save file might be difficult to implement, but not impossible.

If you're trying to point out that having an icon that will directly launch a DS rom from the main menu is impossible, then your topic title is misleading, as it seems you're saying that it will be impossible to run ds roms from the SD slot on a DSi at all. In addition, it's a silly thing to point out, as that's like saying "if you think that running a game gear rom directly from the dsi main menu is gonna happen - you're wrong".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!