Anybody have a guide on making wii u homebrew apps?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by enderzombie15, Sep 10, 2016.

1. enderzombie15
    OP

enderzombie15 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2016
    England
    I would like to have a try but i have looked it up. I could only find a guide for the wii tho. So if anybody could write/ link me to a guide i will be very gratefull. Thanks!

2. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    You'll need to learn PPC and GX2 assembly, or at least, that's what I've been told.

3. vgmoose

vgmoose GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    United States
    Quark has recently started a new guide here, but it's in progress. There's still the older guide, but the info in it is a little dated (should be fine for getting started though).

Also see my post here for a lot of examples:

CreeperMario likes this.
  4. enderzombie15
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2016
    England
    aww! i know some stuff about gx2 but i have NO idea what ppc is.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

thanks ill have a look at them all.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

ive been googling some stuff and apparently devkitppc is for wii?

Macopride64 and vgmoose like this.
  5. enderzombie15
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2016
    England
    is devkitppc only for the wii because i could only find it on wiiubrew.org

6. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    PPC is PowerPC, which is the architecture that the GameCube, Wii and Wii U use. DevkitPPC is needed for building homebrew on all three consoles, I believe

CreeperMario likes this.
  7. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    You can use PowerPC assembly, but you can also use bog-standard C or C++. From what I understand most of the devs don't want to touch Assembly (for some reason) and they get on just fine. GX2 is the Wii U's funky graphics language; I find it vaguely confusing but luckily there are simpler alternatives. Sorry if I had you confused earlier.

As for DevKitPPC, you'll need it. Yes, it was used on the Wii, but it also works for Wii U stuff with a bit of persuading.

8. vgmoose

vgmoose GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    United States

it's true though, the closest I've gotten to powerpc assembly is asking other people to interpret stack traces for me

Last edited by vgmoose, Sep 10, 2016
  9. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I just wish I had the patience to even learn C/C+ but with my rudimentary knowledge, I don't even know where to begin learning, you know?

KiiWii and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  10. CreeperMario

CreeperMario GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    OSv10 v15702
    cprogramming.com is where I learned the basic syntax. From there I just experimented with C@VE and Snake and eventually got the hang of OSScreen and other Wii U features. This is not the best way to learn programming, the best way is to do your studies in high school and university, and get a high-level diploma.

vgmoose likes this.
  11. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Crap, well, given my current financial situation, going back to school is not an option in the foreseeable future, gonna have to learn and force myself to get good at it somehow.

12. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    psh, I prefer the bruteforce method, been working for almost 6 years, look at tons of examples, and edit code until it does what I want it to, thank you StackOverflow
    The makefile you come up with should just hook into devkitppc to compile the code, most in loadiine and libwiiu do that, there's a bunch of ways to do it though, and lots of compiler options

KiiWii and vgmoose like this.
  13. QuarkTheAwesome

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    So does this make you jerk link?

CreeperMario had some good suggestions; if you want to learn you just have to start.

vgmoose likes this.
  14. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    But he implied that the only way to truly learn was from college, no? For me, that's out of the question, there's no way I can go back for a very long time, and by the time I do go back, the Wii U scene will have moved on. "This is not the best way to learn programming, the best way is to do your studies in high school and university, and get a high-level diploma"

Yeah, so that idea's out the window from the get go. :unsure: *Sigh* Guess I don't have the drive or motivation to learn since learning it on my own will yield little results.

15. QuarkTheAwesome

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    I'll concede that self-teaching isn't the best way to learn, but it's not like it won't work. I'm self-taught; heck; I'm still in high school - I certainly don't have a diploma. Call me unusual, gifted, whatever, but it certainly worked for me, and it certainly yielded results. They don't even have any technology subjects running at my school (something I'm rather annoyed about) so schooling isn't the reason I'm writing this now.
    As for drive and motivation, that's not something that just happens, you need to decide to have it. That's a personal growth thing that you'll have to do yourself. :)

rw-r-r_0644 and the_randomizer like this.
  16. vgmoose

vgmoose GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    United States
    This post makes me sad. Reread this post and tell me it doesn't make you sad!

Here's a good article on this stuff. And how it actually feels. All the time. A snippet:

And I think @NWPlayer123's attitude is the exact one to have. Pick a goal, and then try to work towards that goal. Here it is in flow chart form! :yay:

I was going to quote the post I made where I list a ton of code examples, but... That was in this thread! Grab one of those examples and set out with some simple goal, like changing the color of the paddle in pong, or removing the boundary limits on where a paddle can move, or drawing your own strings to the screen. And from there slowly evolve it into something else!

Don't worry about the obstacles until they're in your face, and don't sweat a formal education. You can get by through setting a goal and googling problems you encounter along the way.

All the education would do is give you a grade based on how well you met the professor's goals. There's still the same learning struggle, wrought with trial and error.

17. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I'm not trying to sound sad, but really, I don't know what to feel, it's just that I've tried programming in the past and I didn't take it seriously enough, I need a rethink on this, but thank you and @QuarkTheAwesome for replying.

18. vgmoose

vgmoose GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    United States
    yo so like i wrote more words than just the first line of that post for a reason :P please read the article and check out the source links.

the_randomizer likes this.
  19. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    -snip-

Last edited by pwsincd, Sep 11, 2016
  20. enderzombie15
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2016
    England
    I have not been on the website for a while so thanks for the help. And about all that school stuff. I just started year 7. Evrybody is asking me to hacks stuff lol