Any way to use a USB controller instead of a Pro Controller (NOT GAMEPAD)?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Dark the Eagle, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Dark the Eagle
    OP

Dark the Eagle Member

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2016
    United States
    I want to play Hyrule Warriors multiplayer, but I don't have the spare money to get a WUPC, and the Wiimote controls are awful. Is there any way to use a USB controller as a second controller?

2. erikas

erikas GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2015
    if you have a broken controller and soldering skills, order a Chinese one for 15$. Can't recommend it otherwise because of what happened to me. And i don't think there is a way yet. HID to VPAD lest you use any controller, but it just redirects the game pad controls to it, so you don't get an additional controller.

3. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I think the current controller patcher is only affection the gamepad (and/or first player).
    we should ask @Maschell about support for other players, or controller type.

myuuji likes this.
  4. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    You could go on eBay and buy yourself a (something) > Classic Controller adapter, I know there's ones that will do all sorts of weird things (like plugging a Genesis controller into the Wiimote). No guarantees for quality; but anything is better than the Wiimote controls (shaking for normal attack). Do they mysteriously stop working every now and again for anyone else here? It's awkward to suddenly stop having the ability to attack.

CreeperMario likes this.
  5. Dark the Eagle
    OP

Dark the Eagle Member

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2016
    United States
    The thing is, HW doesn't take the Classic Controller. If it did, I'd have no problem. The only controllers it takes are Wiimote & Nunchuck, Gamepad, and Pro Controller (NOT CLASSIC CONTROLLER PRO). So right now it seems like I'm up the creek without a paddle.

6. Maschell

Maschell GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 14, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Working on it:

Azel, KiiWii, lordelan and 1 other person like this.
  7. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    it looks promising.
    Good luck on this new patching method.

Maschell likes this.
  8. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Never ever buy a no name product from Aliexpress. I've ordered two from different sellers. A friend of mine ordered another one.
    All three of them have one issue in common: The analog sticks are awful!

9. koffieleut

koffieleut GBAtemp Fan

Jan 22, 2009
    Netherlands
    probably at home
    If you have a spare cube controller you can try this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/251976579890 .
    You can also play MK8 with it for a great controlscheme. It sees the cube controller as a classic controller with this adapter.

Good luck.

10. lordelan

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
  11. zekepliskin

zekepliskin GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2015
    Hampshire UK
    My personal favourite controller choice is a wired GameCube pad with the C stick changed for another gray analogue stick connected to the Wiimote with the Mayflash adapter. It doesn't support the WaveBird sadly (well it does but it loses signal all the time) but other than that it's great, I have another two for multiplayer as well. Wouldn't play Mario Kart 8 any other way now, the little notches around the left stick make it that much easier to get boost turns with tighter cornering. Works for all Wii (Classic Controller) and GameCube games, so it's one pad to drive the whole console. Downside: no rumble support.

Last edited by zekepliskin, Aug 12, 2016
  12. zekepliskin

zekepliskin GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2015
    Hampshire UK
    Oh I watched this and was pretty impressed, but as I asked on the video comments does it work in the Wii U menus as well? Cos the Gamepad is used to boot the game. And if it does work in the Wii U menus, how about the vWii etc?

13. Maschell

Jun 14, 2008
    Gambia, The
  14. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    I noticed @Maschell has 2 wii u game pads ( I know its rare anyone would have 2) and it got me wondering: is there any possibility of future method of synching 2 game pads up and having 2 player "split screen" on game pads? (obviously no native dual game pads or even separate split per game pad screen) Even just a hacky-both-pads-paired-displaying-the-same-thing type situation?

15. Maschell

Jun 14, 2008
    Gambia, The
    I simply have 2 WiiUs =) One for hacking and one for playing (Bought one back in the days where you needed a <=5.3.2 one (instead of complaining that there is no public >5.3.2 exploit :P))

CreeperMario and KiiWii like this.
  16. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    I have the same set up :P

Wouldn't it be great again to do what "nintendon't" with the dual game pads?

They teased us with it, documented it in the SDK, but left it out high and dry.......

CreeperMario likes this.
  17. lordelan

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Hell I'd get my hands on a second Gamepad if this would work.

18. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    Well, an awful lot of the coreinit code seems to have dual gamepad support, which is nice. It's just a case of whether the console will actually make the connection. Stuff like VPADRead should carry right over, might even be able to have its own framebuffer with a bit of patching.

19. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Sounds promising :)