Hardware Any way to frontlight AGB without sacrificing an SP?

Lemmy Koopa

M3 Perfect fanboy
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I messed around with this pelican light utility, trying to see if I can place the light somewhere to make it light the screen, but the closer the light got to the screen, the smaller the diameter of lighting there was.

How does the SP illuminate the screen with LEDs? The Pelican light is alright but there's a disgusting glare from the bulb on the screen that covers a part of the screen and hurts my eyes, and is ultimately a distraction.
I like my SP and rather not do trading and see if there's any solution to light a GBA by placing LEDs in a manner.
I've seen videos of such attempts, but they look like sh*t, with small lights on the side, completely not even lighting the screen in the process.

Would I just need to buy something like the afterburner? I want to try it with just LEDs with a power source first.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I had an afterburner ( I still have the kit somewhere in the house ) But I removed it.
The biggest problem for me was the washed out colors. I just couldn't stand it.
Also I did a pretty good job when applying the ' anti glare ' screen protector, without leaving any bubbles, which is necessary otherwise there is ...too much glare on the screen that' ll make your eyes bleeding, but still there were little particles of dust all over the screen.
Also to fit it in, you have to use a tool to cut some of plastic around the display window, and while doing that I created a little crack in a corner that was almost disturbing.

So in the end, as much as I wanted to like it, I removed it, and went some years later for a GBA SP 2 ( I skipped the first front-lit model for the same reasons ), and I never regret it.

Actually I still keep the original AGB model ( I changed the original cracked white shell with a black replacement ) and I plan to use it when playing in plain sunlight, as it is the only model that you can actually play in such abundance of light, the SP2 just doesn't cut it.

There was a post sometimes ago here of a guy that actually tried to fit an SP 2 backlit screen into the AGB unit, but it's really tricky as well, so in the end , is your choice.

You could also go for one of those K1 GBAs or similar clones and enjoy a full backlit display.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You would have to locate several white LED's (well, they're transparent, but the glow is white :P) around the edges of the screen, preferably under the black overlay.

http://www.ehow.com/how_10067096_make-led-backlight-lcd-panels.html

You should use double-sided tape instead of ties due to space constraints.

That said, getting a broken GBA SP or just the backlit screen is probably a better idea.

wiggatron

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
rosecoloredgaming.com
XP
Country
United States
The AGS-001 is front lit, the AGS-101 is backlit.

Here are a few modded AGB-001 units. The top is the original screen, then a front light mod using the lighting elements from an AGS-001, and then finally one using the AGS-101 LCD.

FDDB3333-61C2-4D66-A302-DD9E20A6EDD7-812-000000742FF7DCAD.jpg

The difference is HUGE! Once you've used a GBA with a backlit screen, it's really difficult to look at one that isn't.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro