Lupigen

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As kids, did any of you folks ever play the party game, "Telephone" (Or whatever local name you refer to this game as)? You know, the game where people sit in a circle, transferring a message via whispering down the circle, then when it gets to the end the last person they announce what they heard, then the originator of the message announces what the message actually was. It's a game that displays how nearly any message can be misinterpreted and then spread to be misinterpreted some more. To be honest, I've noticed this "telephone" effect happening on GBATemp than on any other board, especially when there is not as much information as we would all like for there to be. Take this topic for example:

ahtin: "After 15 September, Team R4 will do something for the fake card, original program(firmware) with Fake R4 may damage your DS machine (brick), original R4 will have no problem with this program."
Temper A's, B's, C's, etc. interpretations: Hey, this update is gonna brick the DS if put on a clone!
The rest of GBATemp's interpretation (After looking at the above one): ZOMG, the R4 team's update is designed to kill our DSes if we use clones!
My Interpretation: The R4 team (and the SC-mini team, as was later mentioned) will release an update on September 15th, 2008 that is designed not to work on R4 clones (n5, et. al.). It is possible that this update MAY (key word) brick the DS if a person installs it on their clone R4.

In short, people have been confusing possibility with inevitability. Judging from the wording, the part about bricking DSes is just some standard liability language to redirect angry e-mails and refund requests to the distributors of the clones. They are not saying that they WILL break your DSes, they're just saying that in the process of blocking the clones, they created the possibility that trying to update some especially poorly-made clones MAY cause more serious damage. There would likely be the same risk involved with the SC-mini update that was also mentioned.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ferrariman said:
Rayder said:
Well, I KNOW my R4 is real, but I still won't buy another one. The next flashcart I buy will have SDHC support. I haven't really decided which one that will be just yet though.
High-end card: CycloDS Evo, SCDS1
Budget: Acekard 2, EDGE

The two high-end ones you mentioned are the two I'm seriously condsidering.

The R4 has served me well, but the lack of SDHC support is a real downer. I'm one of those people that like to have the "pocket arcade" which means cramming as many games as I can into the one unit.

Between the Cyclo and the SCDS1, do either support the 8gig and larger SDHC cards? Seems I remember one of them only being able to support 4gigs and not more.

RyoSaeba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lupigen: What I question is the source of the announcement itself. How does anything think the source is reliable? Just because it's on the hacken.cc forum? Anyone can post on there... This AhTin guy, afaik, is NOT a R4 Team representative. That post to me is as reliable as a guy saying he saw Big Foot.

I mean look at these people here. Only 2 or 3 questioned the reliability of the source. Do people really believe in these viral posts so easily?

Yeah yeah, I know some of you don't care... well, if you don't care, stop reading this thread.

Hayatkaizer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sylux92 said:
starfox468 said:
Noone even uses the r4 anyway, and there is already plenty of fake r4s and r4 clones out like "n-card" and "r4ds-v2"
The n-card is not an r4 clone. Do you mean the n4?

Is not N4 (there is no N4 card) , the card is call N5

Noone even uses the r4 anyway, and there is already plenty of fake r4s and r4 clones out like "n-card" and "r4ds-v2"
I also use R4 , don't just assume you know no one use it , also N card is not clone of R4 , N5 is the clone ... The only card I use are R4 , M3DSR , DSTT , & Acekard2

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Rayder said:
ferrariman said:
Rayder said:
Well, I KNOW my R4 is real, but I still won't buy another one. The next flashcart I buy will have SDHC support. I haven't really decided which one that will be just yet though.
High-end card: CycloDS Evo, SCDS1
Budget: Acekard 2, EDGE

The two high-end ones you mentioned are the two I'm seriously condsidering.

The R4 has served me well, but the lack of SDHC support is a real downer. I'm one of those people that like to have the "pocket arcade" which means cramming as many games as I can into the one unit.

Between the Cyclo and the SCDS1, do either support the 8gig and larger SDHC cards? Seems I remember one of them only being able to support 4gigs and not more.
The Scds1 had problems with microSDHC larger than 4 GB, but the problem was fixed some months ago.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would trust ahtin as it seems he is a reliable source for information in the past and close to the DS scene but anyway I'm not too bothered myself. It's possibly a mix up in communication but anyway if it's real I even see it as a good thing.

kuyamiko

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
to have a fake R4 depends on where you purchase it, right???

because i bought a few from DIVINEO, two from CONSOLESOURCE

i know consolesource is recommended by gbatemp
but how about divineo??

Gukina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yay r4 team will be supporting sdhc memory and hard drives in 1.19 official announcement www.randomchineseforumwithr4dspost.com

junfeng85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Let me translate for you guys what the post actually means. It actually differs abit from the announcement. Pardon my bad grammar because it is kinda in a "chinese" sentence format.

R4 小組 官方正式公告 (Official announcement from the R4 team)
為了保障廣大原版R4用戶的基本利益,針對現在R4假卡氾濫的情況,R4小組將在9月15號後在程式上對假卡進行封殺(In order to secure r4's interest (,) against situation of fake R4, R4 team is going to doing something on the firmware to kill the fake R4 on 15th Sep)。由於一些技術尚不成熟的原因,如果在假卡上使用此程式,可能會導致DS機器變磚等嚴重後果,而原版R4則不存在此問題(Due to some incompatibility issues, if the fake cards uses such a firmware, IT MAY 可能 brick your DS as a severe consequence, but original R4 will not have such a problem) 。

這個時間是R4小組在與SC小組溝通後決定的。R4小組吸取了上一次SC小組封殺假卡太倉促而令一些不明真相的玩家蒙受了損失的教訓,故而把封殺時間定於兩個月後,使玩家和經銷商有足夠的時間來辨別。(After discussion with the SC team, R4 team has learn from the experience of SC team to not upset those unknowing of the truth. Hence the R4 team has decided to push back the (killing) to 2 months later in order to let players and distributors have enough time to learn how tell the difference of a fake and a read R4.)

在此請各位玩家為了保障自己的利益,在購買R4卡前請務必識別清楚卡帶的真偽(識別方法見後文),如果使用了假卡導致損壞主機,請使用者自行找出售假卡的奸商負責售後,R4小組對此不負任何責任。
Please buy original in order to protect yourself... ... ... We will not be responsible for any damage cause... .. ..

Gukina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
junfeng85 said:
Let me translate for you guys what the post actually means. It actually differs abit from the announcement. Pardon my bad grammar because it is kinda in a "chinese" sentence format.

R4 ?? ?????? (Official announcement from the R4 team)
????????R4????????????R4????????R4????9?15?????????????(In order to secure r4's interest (,) against situation of fake R4, R4 team is going to doing something on the firmware to kill the fake R4 on 15th Sep)????????????????????????????????DS?????????????R4???????(Due to some incompatibility issues, if the fake cards uses such a firmware, IT MAY ?? brick your DS as a severe consequence, but original R4 will not have such a problem) ?

?????R4????SC?????????R4????????SC????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????(After discussion with the SC team, R4 team has learn from the experience of SC team to not upset those unknowing of the truth. Hence the R4 team has decided to push back the (killing) to 2 months later in order to let players and distributors have enough time to learn how tell the difference of a fake and a read R4.)

????????????????????R4?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????R4???????????
Please buy original in order to protect yourself... ... ... We will not be responsible for any damage cause... .. ..

Could you translate these images

loljf8.jpg

lol2cx2.jpg

ahtin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Gukina said:
junfeng85 said:

????????R4????????????R4????????R4????9?15?????????????(In order to secure r4's interest (,) against situation of fake R4, R4 team is going to doing something on the firmware to kill the fake R4 on 15th Sep)????????????????????????????????DS?????????????R4???????(Due to some incompatibility issues, if the fake cards uses such a firmware, IT MAY ?? brick your DS as a severe consequence, but original R4 will not have such a problem) ?

?????R4????SC?????????R4????????SC????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????(After discussion with the SC team, R4 team has learn from the experience of SC team to not upset those unknowing of the truth. Hence the R4 team has decided to push back the (killing) to 2 months later in order to let players and distributors have enough time to learn how tell the difference of a fake and a read R4.)

????????????????????R4?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????R4???????????

loljf8.jpg

lol2cx2.jpg

Yes, same person, its me, some of members know about this.
grog.gif

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ahtin said:
Gukina said:
junfeng85 said:

grog.gif
The problematic question Gukina was alluding to is how can a source be a reliable proof of what you are saying if it has been published by the very same individual.

ahtin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Fat D said:
ahtin said:
Gukina said:
junfeng85 said:

grog.gif
The problematic question Gukina was alluding to is how can a source be a reliable proof of what you are saying if it has been published by the very same individual.

then, please dont trust it.
grog.gif

http://www.r4ds.com/contact.htm

ahtin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Fat D said:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...%3Doff%26sa%3DG
what does that prove, other than the fact that the developers use the same forum as you did? I do not see any mention of you being an official representative, I do not see a mention of that topic being official (and if it were, there ought to be a global announcement, not a post in a Hong Kong forum).

Yes, you can choose not to trust the hong kong forum and me, I am not trying toi proove anything, I am just suggestion everyone who wants know more please go check with the china one - ndsbbs.

finally I hope everyone do not trust me, I am just helping Team R4 for posting as much as I can. fake R4 which cost RMB50 in china is a good choice for some user, it is cheaper than a real DSTT or AK2 which is RMB70.
grog.gif

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
i have got nothing to lose since i have the spring-R4DS though without a spring
SDHC on R4 umm doubtful... Maybe 8Mbit save type but not this or even save states
Most probable update will be multi saves for monogame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    D @ diamondsofmayhem: G'night!