Not open for further replies.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I feel if we start adding too many Reactions it will become a slippery slope and more and more will be needed. I think the 5 default ones currently cover the gamut well enough.
Pretty much agree to this.
Writing started with hieroglyphs (pictures), went through symbols for words to a simple, limited alphabet that is able to express anything with very few different characters. That is an achievement. Emojis feel like the return of the hieroglyphs. Instead of typing out thoughts, we use doodles – that is a step backwards. Admittedly in some cases a picture says more than 1000 words.
But…
↓↓↓
"More and more will be needed" → Exactly. For example you could add facepalm 🤦‍♀️, exclusively for "I accidentally […]"-threads. Tempbot could automatically react with facepalm on any "I accidentally"

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
As for me, although I don't count for anything, I strongly support the idea of our @JuanMena . Adding 2 or 3 more emoticons (the ones mentioned 🤮 🤨 plus 😉, this one as a sign of playful agreement, but also affection and sympathy) doesn't mean you necessarily have to add 10 more in the future. I too often find myself limited by the 6 available. Besides "wow" is ambiguous; I often use it in the sense of negative astonishment ("what?") and not pleasant surprise ("nice!"), as it can be misunderstood. Why not make it a poll? 😉

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As for me, although I don't count for anything, I strongly support the idea of our @JuanMena . Adding 2 or 3 more emoticons (the ones mentioned 🤮 🤨 plus 😉, this one as a sign of playful agreement, but also affection and sympathy) doesn't mean you necessarily have to add 10 more in the future. I too often find myself limited by the 6 available. Besides "wow" is ambiguous; I often use it in the sense of negative astonishment ("what?") and not pleasant surprise ("nice!"), as it can be misunderstood. Why not make it a poll? 😉
"Besides "wow" is ambiguous;"
Same for "🤣" → Can be used for laughing at somebody (despite being regarded positive and giving 1XP)… or because the message is funny
Same for "😡" → Angry addressing the person and their opinion… or angry because of what is described in a message

We are able to talk (write) with many different words. We are able to express a variety of nuances that a few yellow circles representing faces can't.

What reaction should I choose for your message here? No idea. What I typed out cannot be condensed into an emoji.

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't think 🤣 is ever been used to laugh at anyone: it's always just about the message. Same for this one 😠: no one uses it against a person, and for me you might as well remove it. I only use this in the sense of being jokingly pouty.

We are able to express a variety of nuances that a few yellow circles representing faces can't.
This one is obvious. In fact, no one is stopping you from adding a comment post, as you've done now.

What reaction should I choose for your message here?
You see, you didn't react because there aren't enough emoticons to express your mood. Anyway, it's all a game, a fun thing: nothing to get upset about, really. :)
What do you think about the idea of a poll instead? Let the majority of users decide about this...;)

• Haha
Reactions: Ahmir and JuanMena

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't think 🤣 is ever been used to laugh at anyone: it's always just about the message. Same for this one 😠: no one uses it against a person, and for me you might as well remove it. I only use this in the sense of being jokingly pouty.

This one is obvious. In fact, no one is stopping you from adding a comment post, as you've done now.

You see, you didn't react because there aren't enough emoticons to express your mood. Anyway, it's all a game, a fun thing: nothing to get upset about, really. :)
What do you think about the idea of a poll instead? Let the majority of users decide about this...;)
How funny @Nikokaro

GBATEMP hates democracy ಡ ͜ ʖ ಡ

• Sad
Reactions: Nikokaro

TigerTiger

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I really want a 😊 as 'I've seen and appreciate your comment, but don't have anything more to add as a reply'. It's basically a 'read' button but in a nice way and is my top used emoji ever. The 👍 is too much like 'I approve of this' which is weird if someone compliments you etc, and 😍 is way too strong for me. It's more like when you see content you adore as a fan.

I don't know that I'd ever use 🤮🤨 though unless someone was just being a jerk, they seem too rude to me even in jest 😳

Reactions: Takokeshi

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
These replies are starting to sound more and more like the Discord way of doing things, where you can just reply with any emoji. Honestly, the option doesn't sound bad, but at the same time I feel like what we have now is enough.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Writing started with hieroglyphs (pictures), went through symbols for words to a simple, limited alphabet that is able to express anything with very few different characters. That is an achievement. Emojis feel like the return of the hieroglyphs

Sometimes things go full circle and we realize that they were actually better the way they were, or at least the old system which was replaced is actually more suited to the way the world has evolved.

People who speak completely different languages can now perform basic communications thanks to emojis. If they evolve in the correct way, emoji could end up becoming a universal language.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sometimes things go full circle and we realize that they were actually better the way they were, or at least the old system which was replaced is actually more suited to the way the world has evolved.

People who speak completely different languages can now perform basic communications thanks to emojis. If they evolve in the correct way, emoji could end up becoming a universal language.
How to answer to that without going too much off-topic?
Emojis as universal language? Only very basic. There is much room for misunderstandings with emojis; even more than with well-expressed normal languages in classic text form. Depending on cultural background, on personal mood, on so many circumstances, people will interpret the same picture differently.

Reducing the own thoughts to a bunch of pictures (often see people in the bus hastily scrolling through emojis when using chat apps seemingly under pressure of time) awfully reminds me of Newspeak in “1984”, the hypothetical artificial language which has it’s vocabulary size reduced each year in order to make expressing and therefore committing Thought Crime impossible.

The very small (active and passive) vocabulary some teenagers nowadays have, left me startled several times: They simply didn't understand me when I used less common (but not exotic or difficult) words. Supporting this trend by further lowering level of communication is dangerous in my opinion.

This is why I always appreciated this part of the GBAtemp rules:
Da Rules said:
When replying to a topic, don't; unless you have something meaningful to say or something that will contribute to the discussion. Posts such as "Yes", "I agree", "LOL", "When will it be dumped?" or "When will it be translated?"; and nothing but images/emoticons or internet memes are useless and are wasteful on the servers. This is not GameFAQs or 4chan!
Say something meaningful!

I still stand by my opinion that the six reactions we have now are enough for non-verbally acknowledging posts of different kinds. If those are not sufficient as an answer, chances are no single “face circle” will do and a full reply is needed instead. In addition to that XenForo 2 supports all these emojis inside a proper post if one wants to add a particular thing.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Lather

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
maybe could add these 😅 😋 🤗 😒
But I think the administrator is to avoid adding too aggressive emotional expressions.
So I think your request will be logged, but it's not known which emoji will be added.

Last edited by Lather,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Old person perspective incoming.. I think the advent of emoticons (why did people start calling them emojis?), whilst perhaps bridging the gap between people who don't speak the same language (to some extent), has overall dumbed down communication skills to the extent kids are growing up less articulate than they should be.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Already not sure why emojis are needed and also not sure what benefit adding more would have.
Surely likes are already enough?

• Angry
Reactions: Ahmir
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Xdqwerty :creep: +2