Hacking Acekard has a lot of save problems, and nobody has a solution

skafan12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently got my Acekard 2i today (from simplymods, a reliable store). I got the newest AKIAO firmware, formatted the card using Panasonic SD formatter. I'm playing it on a DSL.

I was playing GTA: CW and PW: T&T, and made some progress on both games. Saved it, then when I tried to load the files later neither would load. Checked everything to make sure the extension was right (all were .sav, in low case letters. I could even see them when I selected display "NDS+SAV")

Long story short, this seems to be a problem a lot of users have had, but there hasn't really been a solution found. The only advice these forums seem to give is "rename it" or "reformat it", both of which are good first steps but neither of which actually hit the mark.

Right now, I'm reformatting my SDcard once again. It's a 4GB PNY SDHC card, and I bought it brand spankin' new last week. If anybody has some good advice that doesn't involve "re...", I'd appreciate it.

And yes, I'm mad

skafan12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick reply, and sorry if any of my responses sound passive-aggressive, I'm just really ticked right now since my EDGE crapped out on me and I thought the Acekard would actually let me play my games.

Is there a reason 1.5.1 should work? In other words, is this just a blind test or has there been users who have experienced success by downgrading firmware?

Garro

Pendulum of souls!
Trophies
Website
garrothedog.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Chile
Hmm... Yeah use the lastest firmware and be sure to backup your save files every now and then.

I have been using AK2i for like 1,5 years and I have never experienced any problems with save files, except once with a Pokemon game. Maybe you turned off the game while it was saving?

skafan12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Garro said:
Hmm... Yeah use the lastest firmware and be sure to backup your save files every now and then.

I have been using AK2i for like 1,5 years and I have never experienced any problems with save files, except once with a Pokemon game. Maybe you turned off the game while it was saving?

Nope, definitely not a problem with turning the game off mid-save.

Also, I'm getting conflicting advice. Should I use the newest firmware or downgrade?

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
skafan12 said:
Thanks for the quick reply, and sorry if any of my responses sound passive-aggressive, I'm just really ticked right now since my EDGE crapped out on me and I thought the Acekard would actually let me play my games.

Is there a reason 1.5.1 should work? In other words, is this just a blind test or has there been users who have experienced success by downgrading firmware?
1.5.1 was the last stable release, remember 1.6 is beta.

There's been a few posts like this since 1.6, along with the problem where it resets the globalsettings. So try AKAIO 1.5.1 to see if it is 1.6 or not.

Wouldn't hurt to check your HWID either, and perfrom the firmware update. Also check the contacts on the Acekard and MicroSD are ok.

skafan12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh, that didn't work either. For some reason, my Pokemon Plat file that I had created on my EDGE works. I think what I'm going to try to do is get newer roms and see if they were the problem, and as a last resort use the official firmware instead of AKAIO. Anybody know if the official firmware really sucks?

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Are you using clean untrimmed, unpatched roms?

Also try going into the save settings and change the save type from .sav to .nds.sav

skafan12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. I managed to get my GTA save to work (haven't tried my other saves yet, I'm just taking things really slow to prevent a future mess up). I was able to do this by formatting my MicroSD card on the Mac computer using disk utility. I guess maybe SD formatter isn't always the answer, haha.

Also, I had the "setting revert to default when soft-resetting problem", but that was also fixed with a Mac format. Strange...

Weird thing is.... now my roms seem to be taking a bit longer (maybe an extra two seconds with the "Loading" screen) than before. But that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make if that means I can save.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
skafan12 said:
Weird thing is.... now my roms seem to be taking a bit longer (maybe an extra two seconds with the "Loading" screen) than before. But that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make if that means I can save.
The Mac could have formatted it with a smaller cluster size, larger cluster sizes are normally faster.

On a PC use can use DiskPart to determine what the cluster size is.

skafan12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, this is embarassing. Turns out most of the problems I've been having stem from the fact that my roms suck. I redownloaded a few, and they work with no problem.

Thanks for all your help, tk_saturn.

And does anybody know how come I can download a rom from the same location twice and have it be a corrupted version once and a good version the other time?

evilhomura89

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
skafan12 said:
Well, this is embarassing. Turns out most of the problems I've been having stem from the fact that my roms suck. I redownloaded a few, and they work with no problem.

Thanks for all your help, tk_saturn.

And does anybody know how come I can download a rom from the same location twice and have it be a corrupted version once and a good version the other time?
i would assume its internet connection problem

spark1223

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Usually connection related, but sometimes (on rare occasions) browser download manager will stop the download before complete.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If it's a Desktop, then most of the time it's normally a power problem called 'brownouts'. It's why I always use a UPS with a desktop, without it I get file corruptions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :) +1