Acekard 2i running on Nintendo 3DS

Laughing Stock

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lightyear said:
I think they are full of crap...I believe they got it running fine, but IMO, they are not releasing it because wood is an AK2 clone....they don't wanna see wood-enabled R4's running on 3ds before US launch by borrowing any of their code. Bogarts!! lol
I don't think many R4s can even run on the DSi.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
doyama said:
That's odd. I was under the impression that the carts do not have a copy of a complete ROM. They only have snippets of a commercial ROM on them. The DS carts had very small snippets, while the DSi carts had about 1MB worth for the header and graphics which is why you see whatever icon you do in the DS menu. Since most carts just parrot a sequence during the boot process I don't think its necessary to have the entire ROM in there. I could be incorrect but if so I'd love to see a technical analysis of it. I think a lot of the 'full ROM' stuff came about because of the incorrectly named 'whitelisting' that was supposedly done which isn't the case.

Also they need to use an older game that uses the older SHA1 checksums in their 'whitelist' rather than the RSA sig that is used for later games. So that requirement somewhat limits what you can use as the icon.

I dunno, this is just what I read in one of the threads yesterday or the day before perhaps. And I thought there was a whitelist of all existing DS games when the DSi was launched. In fact, I was pretty certain there was mention of that on HackMii or somewhere like that.

QUOTE said:
The integrity checking is there to ensure that the cartridge booted is a genuine licensed game cartridge. There is a whitelist stored in the DSi’s NAND, that has an entry for every DS game released, consisting of multiple SHA1 (How these hashes are constructed exactly hasn’t been confirmed) checksums for the cart header, ARM9 binary and ARM7 binary.

from http://hackmii.com/2010/02/lawsuit-coming-in-3-2-1/

EDIT: From that same article, an explanation of how AR DSi works:

DSi console sends cart initialisation sequence
ARDSi cart determines it’s being ran on a DSi console and starts responding a fixed pattern on every read block request
Game’s header, ARM9 and ARM7 binary are loaded by the DSi menu and checked for integrity
Integrity checks pass since all data is 1:1 compared to the original ROM
Game starts running, parsing filename and file allocation tables of filesystem on cartridge
Game loads overlay 0×01 to 0x020BBF00
Game does more stuff and eventually branches to code inside loaded overlay @ 0x020BBFE8
The initial 0xE8 bytes of the datel payload are inifite-loop opcodes, entrypoint right behind it, payload gets executed
Payload sends secret F005000000000000 (Not so secret anymore now, huh?) cart command to put cartridge in secondary mode
Payload uses normal 0xB7 read commands to read the header, ARM9 binary and ARM7 binary respectively
Some IPC magic is done to capture execution of the ARM7 cpu
Finally a softreset SVC/SWI is issued to execute the newly loaded ARM9 code

Not full ROM, but header and ARM7 and ARM9 binaries are all in there (about 1MB of an apparently 8MB game), along with a hacked "filesystem overlay" (not quite what I said before, but fairly similar I believe).

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The whitelist is for previous games. From some specific point they put in RSA sigs into the games instead so they don't need to be added to the whitelist. So you have a kind of pre-RSA sig games which are in the whitelist, and post where all games (DS/DSi) games use the RSA sig. So it's not a whitelist of 'everything' just of a subset of games (albeit a large one)

I was only taking exception to the full rom being on there, since it sort of perpetuates the incorrect notion of how the 'whitelist' really works. Especially in light of that horrible PCMag article that claimed they 'modified' the whitelist. Which has now lead people to say they just need to change the ROM used or other such nonsense.

Hopefully hackmii will do another analysis once the exploit is more widely released. Though I suspect it's merely a small variant on the existing exploit process.

CompC

Trophies
Website
josh.birnholz.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes! Just what I was waiting for.
biggrin.gif

lordrand11

The Wheel of Time Turns and Ages Come And Pass.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HtheB said:
lordrand11 said:
I didn't see the Acekard 2i logo on the cartridge. It just said Acekard i is that a new design?
Lol, I would suggest you to buy some glasses....

You sir are quite right. lol. The light bouncing offa the sticker kinda threw me off. I didn't see the number 2 in the background on it.

leeday100196

GBAtemp's Official Infernape™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wow, I hope the Supercard team gets wind of this! Hopefully within the week they will release their compatibility patch announcement so that their dedicated followers like me can have hope! Personally though, I hope that 3DS mode isn't cracked until perhaps September/October... that way we have a lot of good games out etc. and we can finally emulate it!!

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent news! I wish they would have shown akAIO booting up instead, but official AK fw is good enough for now.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So essentially they just used a different game that did not have the special checks yet? Doesn't that mean Ninty CAN special check all of those games, it's just a huge amount of work?

Moonshine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
But, since the 3DS is region-locked, does it mean that only japanese games work in DS Mode? That seems to be the case in this video, but I'm just checking.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Moonshine said:
But, since the 3DS is region-locked, does it mean that only japanese games work in DS Mode? That seems to be the case in this video, but I'm just checking.
DS isn't region locked.
Dsi and 3DS are.
Short answer: No.

They're going to put out an Acekard3 then?
They'll claim it's "buggy" and "needs new or bigger bootstrap".

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
They're going to put out an Acekard3 then?
They'll claim it's "buggy" and "needs new or bigger bootstrap".
Considering the AK2.1 doesn't have the proper bootloader requirements to be used on a DSi so the 2i came out and was then updated freely for 1.4 and 1.4.1 if they did release an Acekard 3 it'd be because they needed to. The Acekard team may be a flash cart team, but they're not like the many R4 clones that don't have an updateable bootloader at all and count on customers purchasing a new card each time.

JoyConG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question about the resolution.. will we be able to stretch the DS games to fit the 3DS display? Kind of like GBA SP with game boy games

D

Deleted User

This could be a clever Ninty ploy to block all flashcarts with their may update- maybe they knew THIS would happen. But the wily AK team are waiting after may because they're clever :3

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Nintendude92 said:
I have a question about the resolution.. will we be able to stretch the DS games to fit the 3DS display? Kind of like GBA SP with game boy games
Somewhat. The top screen stretches, but maintains a 4:3 aspect ratio, meaning there's still black bars on the sides.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Arras said:
So essentially they just used a different game that did not have the special checks yet? Doesn't that mean Ninty CAN special check all of those games, it's just a huge amount of work?
Pretty much. But I doubt it's a HUGE amount of work for Nintendo. They just dump the bootloader, reconstruct the ROM and look in the file system for edited or different files. Then they add the addresses of those files to the list of addresses to check. Probably takes a day or two max.

And using a different game without checks is the exact same way flash card companies bypassed the 1.4.1 update.

JPhantom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and the reason why nintendo can't check all the roms is the amount of space required to store the checksums right? maybe they'll do that with the next 3ds revision

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Welcome back