DEElekgolo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I always felt that the idea of spoofing the game carts through the cart commands would be the first attempt at a flash cart of sorts. Porting the usual 3ds commands and "replying" as if it was a legit game cart but that would all be at a hard-ware basis and only be enabled for one game cart at a time with no sort of riced up menu of sorts like DS flash carts due since people are unable to run their own code.
Seems fake though, from everything else I've seen surrounding this.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I presumed that they just de-soldered the main chip, and re-soldered it on a custom board with flash cart/switch built in.
Unlikely. As Rydian pointed out there's not much excess space in a 3DS card; ergo, to fit all the necessary components for the 3DS game in, and also fit the components of a flash card in there, the components of each would have to be more compact than normal. This means it must be at the very least partially custom hardware, and I would guess probably completely.

It's surely going to be cheaper to source blank chips than buy dozens of copies of a particular game anyway.

Reactions: zhdarkstar

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unlikely. As Rydian pointed out there's not much excess space in a 3DS card; ergo, to fit all the necessary components for the 3DS game in, and also fit the components of a flash card in there, the components of each would have to be more compact than normal. This means it must be at the very least partially custom hardware, and I would guess probably completely.

It's surely going to be cheaper to source blank chips than buy dozens of copies of a particular game anyway.

That's why I think that people are missing the fact that this is a proof-of-concept step that is necessary for the development of a 3DS flashcart: running a single game on a custom hardware. Will this sell well? Probably not. However, this product could be the missing link in the evolutionary chain.

brighteyes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people still don't seem certain, so I just wanted to chime in that the FAQ page states:

http://www.ace3ds.com/ace-3ds-plus-faq.html
Q: Does the Ace3DS PLUS be able to play 3ds games ?
A: No, currently, no flashcart can play 3DS roms.

So, don't get go getting your hopes up.

EDIT:
Oops, looks like I was the one didn't read clearly, that was just for the PLUS, not the PRO

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
hmm so anyone think its possible to make a DS homebrew to write the 3ds file to the cartage rom?

Not that easy. Checks on rom chip sizes would easily detect non-official hardware, this has been done since the SNES days. Special hardware would have to sit between the ROM and SRAM chips and the 3DS.

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That's why I think that people are missing the fact that this is a proof-of-concept step that is necessary for the development of a 3DS flashcart: running a single game on a custom hardware. Will this sell well? Probably not. However, this product could be the missing link in the evolutionary chain.

But then why did they select such a crappy game that no one wants?
Because they are cheap on the second hand market, I presumed.

If they were able to flash any game to a chip, why didn't they select a good one, or one that would sell well? Like a recent Mario one, for example.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm sad for all those fathers buying their son a linker and going to a website and beeing like "oh an ace3ds that's cheap and it can play 3d roms!" and then they are disappointed.
Anyone who doesn't do that tiny bit of research needed to prevent themselves being fooled deserved to get burnt by the (bad) choices they make. :P

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Svalbard

8d1.gif

Reactions: The Catboy

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But then why did they select such a crappy game that no one wants?
Because they are cheap on the second hand market, I presumed.

If they were able to flash any game to a chip, why didn't they select a good one, or one that would sell well? Like a recent Mario one, for example.

I can't say for certain why they chose to go with a niche title like Pawa Puro instead of a first party major release but I have a couple ideas that could possibly explain it.

a) Playing chicken with getting a C&D letter from Big N. Also, a major title would probably have a game update released shortly after the Ace3DSPro video went online or at least shortly after the cart went on sale.

b) The PCB for the A3Pro could very similar in design to the PCB for Pawa Puro. Possibly because there are so many secondhand copies floating around.

c) Pawa Puro could have simply just been the easiest game for them to get working on the custom hardware.

Remember that before you can load ANY game on a custom hardware, you have to be able to load a SINGLE game on that hardware. This is all baby steps towards something greater. You may not like the one game they loaded but you can't take away the fact that they got a game to load on their hardware. I don't see anyone else here creating a 3DS flashcart. So unless you have a prototype that outperforms the alleged Ace3DSPro, be thankful there's progress like this at all.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
d) It might be relatively small, thus they can use cheaper stuff to hold it.

Also Crown3DS did this too a while back with Splinter Cell, but back then nobody realized it was just a functional bootleg (and they all thought it was going to be some R4-type thing), so everybody cried foul and nobody gave a shit.

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
d) It might be relatively small, thus they can use cheaper stuff to hold it.

Also Crown3DS did this too a while back with Splinter Cell, but back then nobody realized it was just a functional bootleg (and they all thought it was going to be some R4-type thing), so everybody cried foul and nobody gave a shit.

First step towards a functional loader is a functional bootleg. The kiddies seem to forget that with every new generation of hardware, modders have to reinvent the wheel, so to speak.

Maybe I'm dating myself, but it seems that with each new generation of gaming tech that comes out, the new generation of gamers suffers from entitlement issues. Either donate to development, do the work yourself, or quit the bitching. Especially when it comes to things that you may never see a dime for doing, like finding exploits and coding CFW. An unappreciative audience is never worth the time of someone with passion for what they do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: