ROM Hack Ace Attorney Investigation (2): Prosecutor's Path FINAL [RELEASE]

Auryn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Well, being in asia for holiday, I am one of the first to wish this you the happy new year 2015.
In less than one hour, is time here :)
So
Happy+New+Year+2015+Hot+Colors+On+Black+Backgrounds.jpg

Naturally thanks for all compliments posted to me and the group; they make almost forget how long and what work it was to do the translation.
By the way, 53500 downloads from filetrip....WOW!!!!

See you all in the new year with hopefully more time to hack and translate many games.
See yaa

animegirl1993

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for making the fan translation :) I have been wanting to play this game for a long time now and I appreciate it. I made an account here just to thank you guys for all the hard work you did :)

Digitsie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh Auryn - I've played it a couple times and I cannot remember an occasion I might have missed anything but it seems fairly clean and well done. if you have a specific test plan (i.e. test for so and so paths), throw it up here and we could try it before you get out of beta?

D

Deleted User

I can't wait to try it when my R4i Gold arrives!
It... Does work with R4i Gold... Right..?

jaynie

Trophies
XP
Country
Aaaaaw man, kept popping in here every now and then to see if some fantastic person had got it up and running with the M3DSReal with the 3-5 update until I started to forget. So embarrassingly stoked when I wandered in here quite some time ago to find it was now compatible with my perhaps not wisely chosen flash cart of choice :) I followed all instructions and haven't had even a whiff of any issues, and carried on from my previous save without a hitch.

I am part way through the final case and pretty much can't believe it's not butter. Just as splendiferous if not better than a commercial localisation! A thousand thank yous and infinity internet appreciation kudos won't come close to how much you amazing people deserve for this effort!

Thank you so much for such a high quality patch :) A very happy new year to all!!

Reactions: Mylink5

Mylink5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
Amazing work! Works great with both Supercard DSTWO and R4 clone! Only bug I found, which is nothing serious, is that when I put the console and resume, or when I resume the game by loading it, sometimes the last word(s) of the text box showing, are cut off. Nevertheless, amazkng job. You all have my eternal gratitude!

Denise Martin

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello! I am playing the game in desmume and I'm having some trouble when I get to Case 3, the game freezes after the introduction. Does anybody else also have that problem or know what I can do to continue playing normally?

Thank you!

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes. Read the op (you have to use another build of desmume).
I would be rich if I got 1€ each time I said that in this thread. :grog:
I'll just quote Auryn on this one, directed to all the people lazy enough to not even read the first post.
Instead to be mad, you should spend the time to read some old posts in this thread. You will find the answer to your problems for sure. But if you are lazy to read, do yourself and us a favor and don't play this game; there is way to much text for you to read!
You really shouldn't waste your time helping such people.

AquaBat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick note: Warning: Minor spoilers

The president of Zheng Fa is clearly stated to be the president of Zheng Fa in the first case, but when he returns in Case 5, the wording becomes ambiguous. He's referred to solely as "the president" in most cases, and I caught Agent Lang saying "of this country" at one point (almost immediately afterward, Zheng Fa is mentioned once again, complicating things even more).

I'm not too familiar with the original Japanese versions of the Ace Attorney Investigations games, so from what I can gather, either the country of Zheng Fa was made up in the localization of the first game as the go-to for stuff that isn't AMERICAN enough in order to avoid more Japanese culture references, or the original Japanese wording in Case 5 of the second game was ambiguous in the first place.

Obviously, something's wrong here, so if someone could clarify, that would be very helpful.

Also, when you have to present the info about Knightley after connecting the logic of "the monster footprints" and "the flowerbeds", Edgeworth's statement before presenting is incomplete.

mrichston

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Quick note: Warning: Minor spoilers

The president of Zheng Fa is clearly stated to be the president of Zheng Fa in the first case, but when he returns in Case 5, the wording becomes ambiguous. He's referred to solely as "the president" in most cases, and I caught Agent Lang saying "of this country" at one point (almost immediately afterward, Zheng Fa is mentioned once again, complicating things even more).

I'm not too familiar with the original Japanese versions of the Ace Attorney Investigations games, so from what I can gather, either the country of Zheng Fa was made up in the localization of the first game as the go-to for stuff that isn't AMERICAN enough in order to avoid more Japanese culture references, or the original Japanese wording in Case 5 of the second game was ambiguous in the first place.

Obviously, something's wrong here, so if someone could clarify, that would be very helpful.

Also, when you have to present the info about Knightley after connecting the logic of "the monster footprints" and "the flowerbeds", Edgeworth's statement before presenting is incomplete.

In first case president is introduced, so it is natural that he is mentioned to be the President of Zheng Fa few times.
Also there might have been instances where "of zheng fa" wouldn't have fit to limited space each dialogue has.

I am not sure what Lang's sentence in case 5 you mean? I didn't find "of this country".

[Shi-Long Lang]
あの人がどれだけ
国民の尊敬を得ているかッ!
┌────────1─────────2─────────┐
The amount of respect that man
has earned from his country's
people.
└────────────────────────────┘

[Shi-Long Lang]
まあいい‥‥。この国の警察なんか
<pre>たよりにしちゃいねえさ。
It doesn't matter... It's not like I
can rely on this country's police
anyways.

[Shi-Long Lang]
この国の警察局に、
誘拐犯からの連絡が入った。
The police department in this
country received a call from
a group of kidnappers.

[Shi-Long Lang]
オヤジは、国イチバンのVIPを
守れなかった。だがよ‥‥
My old man failed to protect
the country's number one VIP.
Because of that...

The Japanese name of Zheng Fa is 西鳳民国, which roughly translates as "the Western kingdom of the phoenix people".
The national flag depicts a phoenix. So it wasn't made up for american version.

Incomplete statement is a bug, which happens after you check some evidence.
We currently don't have a solution to fix that. Statement should be complete
before you check evidences.

sgerry

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello, is it possible to get an answer to following question: I can decrypt all the pictures and animations of this ROM, but for me it was not possible yet to find the stored texts (f.e. what the characters are going to say etc.). Where (in which files) are they to find and which compression methods are used there? It would be very cool when you can help me with that. Thank you very much :)

hackotedelaplaqu

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
France
Hello, is it possible to get an answer to following question: I can decrypt all the pictures and animations of this ROM, but for me it was not possible yet to find the stored texts (f.e. what the characters are going to say etc.). Where (in which files) are they to find and which compression methods are used there? It would be very cool when you can help me with that. Thank you very much :)

Txt is located in SPT files which is a capcom proprietary format.
It has been reversed by jjjewel and henke37 (and me for the text unscrambling).

Code:
SPT file
--------

0x0000 4 bytes header SPT ( TPS)
(Note: There are files without this header and as far as I randomly checked, the files without SPT as the header don't contain script text.)

0x0004 2 bytes Constant? 00 01

0x0006 2 bytes Number of sections

0x0008 2 bytes (??? I don't know but it seems to relate to the file size)

0x000A 2 bytes Some constant or code (Always AA 55)

0x000C 2 bytes Where the code starts

0x0000-0x0006 NEED TO BE COPIED FROM THE ORIGINAL, WE WILL NOT CHANGE THE NUMBER OF SECTIONS ANYWAY.
0x0008 I KNOW YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT THIS UNKNOW VALUE BUT FOR THE MOMENT JUST COPY IT (MAKE YOURSELF A COMMENT IN THE PROGRAM TO MARK THE POSITION IF WE NEED TO CHANGE IT LATER).
0x000A-0x000C NEED TO BE COPIED FROM THE ORIGINAL

The code part (Start from the value you get at 0x000C and read every 8 bytes)
----------------------------------
0x0000 2 bytes Address offset
0x0002 2 bytes Value related to section size
0x0004 2 bytes (some code???)
0x0006 2 bytes (some value???, usually 0000 or FFFF)

Ex. for spt_0.bin
0x0000 Header TPS
0x0004 0100 (constant?)
0x0006 0006 = Six sections
0x0008 0248 (AA55)

code starts at 0x000C

Sec#1 003C 0005 0000 0000
Sec#2 0048 0019 0000 0000
Sec#3 007C 0017 0000 0000
Sec#4 00AC 0017 0000 0000
Sec#5 00DC 0248 0000 0000
Sec#6 056E 0000 FFFF FFFF <---This is the end of file

The second value is related to the size of the section.
From first to second section, the size is 0048-003C=000D.
Divide 000D by 2 = 0006. Minus 1 = 0005.

Sec 2 to 3, 007C-0048= 0034.
0034/0002 = 001A.
001A-0001= 0019

That's what you see at the second value.
Sec#1 003C 0005 0000 0000
Sec#2 0048 0019 0000 0000

And so on.

So if you change the text and the length of the section changes, you'll have to change this value too.

0x0000 NEED TO BE OVERWRITTEN WITH THE NEW OFFSETS
0x0002 NEED TO BE CALCULATED AND THE FORMULA IS (OFFSET2-OFFSET1)/2-1
0x0004 NEED TO BE COPIED FROM THE ORIGINAL
0x0008 NEED TO BE COPIED FROM THE ORIGINAL

NOTE:
For file with only one section.

Ex. spt_2.bin
0x0000 Header TPS
0x0004 0100 (constant?)
0x0006 0001 = One section
0x0008 0480 (AA55)

From address 0x000C
Sec#1 0014 0480 0120 0000

It doesn't have the last section for the end of file.

The third value (ex. 0120 in this case) is probably some indication code. (I think it should be kept the same, but I'm not sure about it.)

It is scrambled with a simple u16 Xor 0xAA55 function.

sgerry

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Very cool. Way to go!

Reminds me of the decoding of the SCUMM-Game Engine in one verion (there it was 0x69 as XOR chiffer), i was created a game editor/game maker of those scumm games :)

Hmm, could it be...
Maybe offset 0x0004 could be a version thing. (00 01 could be V 1.0) reserved for variations.
It seems that 0x0000 0x0000 after the section parts could be some "terminators" to make it easier to scan for section parts (maybe to read corrupt section tables also)
But the first 0x000 i'm not sure yet, since it holds a value at one section only, as you say... (Binary 10000000000001 = 0x0120 LE)
0x000A is maybe the XOR-Ciffer to use (and maybe its variable, this could be tested easily by changing the value)

So, the size of the sections are the sizes of the WORDS, minus a Header-Word or a Terminator, or Offset is 0, seems logical to me.

I read somewhere else, that 0x0008 are an image pattern file size (i try to figure this out). This file format is also
used for some textures (f.e. Mario Kart) (So SPT is for "Standard Particle Texture", and there are assignment tables "SPA").
That's what i read somewhere.

Could extract some Text yet, that's really cool, thank you very much. Time for me to make a translator tool for those files :)

sgerry

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
By the way, i decoded (at least file spt.bin_438.dbin) in another way:

The XOR-Ciffer is only 0xAA (each byte), and after that, i add 0x20 per byte, seems to be offsetted from ASCII or UTF.

hackotedelaplaqu

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
France
The Xor cipher is located @ 0x08. Setting this to 0x00 you can save unscrambled text (unicode).
I copied/pasted old specs. The others values are not unknown anymore. There are indexes (sentence and sections counters).
If you don't want to reverse the file again, I'll PM my tools.

RandomNickname

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Started playing today, and I really like it so far! The only minor error so far is that Nicole Swiftler has Japanese brand names on her mugshot, but that's just nitpicking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work