Votes: 37 33.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You mean until Capcom sends them a cease-and-desist notice to stop the translation at once? Yeah, probably a good idea.
Releasing patches for games is not a crime. The patch doesn't include the original Capcom code.

What is a crime is to distribute or sell the patched rom, since it contais Capcom's intellectual property.

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
But Capcom owns the script. Translating the script remains the sole right of Capcom. That's why fansubs and scanlation groups were having a hard time here and there. There will always be a risk involved when fan translating a game.
That's why we provide patches, scanlation group / fansub are providing the original material but altered, it's kinda like a pre-patched iso.
And so, we're just providing something to alter what you're supposed to have bought. So no, it's not the same issue.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
That's why we provide patches, scanlation group / fansub are providing the original material but altered, it's kinda like a pre-patched iso.
And so, we're just providing something to alter what you're supposed to have bought. So no, it's not the same issue.
The distribution format isn't important. Patches contain information that alters the script Capcom owns. If Capcpm or Namco were to tell you to stop translating their game, you would stop.

phalk

Handheld Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The distribution format isn't important. Patches contain information that alters the script Capcom owns. If Capcpm or Namco were to tell you to stop translating their game, you would stop.

Nope. They could only make you stop if you are distributing their copyrighted content. A translation patch is not by any means part of their copyrighted game.

phalk

Handheld Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Nope, they can and will make you stop by any means if they want to.

You are wrong, but I won't argue with you, since neither you or I are lawyers and even if we were, law is different in different parts of the world and we would just proceed on disagreeing ad infinitum.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You are wrong, but I won't argue with you, since neither you or I are lawyers and even if we were, law is different in different parts of the world and we would just proceed on disagreeing ad infinitum.
This isn't about being a lawyer or not. It's about using common sense. No translation group would risk legal fights for a translation they are doing for free in their spare time.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh please, stop this.
This argument has been discussed to death before, and this is not the place for it.

furiseto

Trophies
XP
Country
I have waited too long for this game to be translated so no English voice is totally fine with me :(
Thank u and good luck, team.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: What's your thoughts?