• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

About today’s Florida shooting

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Nah my thought process would be a buyout for all unwanted/excess guns across the country, including from pawn shops and etc. Fair pricing of course. Not making guns illegal, of course that wouldn't work.

Oh please. The government does not need our guns, and the NRA will give you any line to sell you a gun when prices are highest (like they were during the moronic panic of the Obama years).
I'm not saying they need our guns. Let's say the buyout of ammo was a line. It was still effective wasn't it? That's my point. The moment guns were harder to come by, the more people would collect and hoard them. Paranoia is a powerful thing.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying they need our guns. Let's say the buyout of ammo was a line. It was still effective wasn't it? That's my point. The moment guns were harder to come by, the more people would collect and hoard them. Paranoia is a powerful thing.
Paranoia is correct. The whole "ammo buyout" is fake news according to an old Forbes article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/frankm...use-of-gun-ammunition-shortages/#60390cdc2215

The crazy ammo sales and ammo prices were literally just gun owners in a panic, and Obama never passed any real gun legislation because nothing could be agreed upon in Congress and the Senate (as usual). Even after Sandy Hook.

Last edited by Xzi,

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Paranoia is correct. The whole "ammo buyout" is fake news according to an old Forbes article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/frankm...use-of-gun-ammunition-shortages/#60390cdc2215

The crazy ammo sales and ammo prices were literally just gun owners in a panic, and Obama never passed any real gun legislation because nothing could be agreed upon in Congress and the Senate (as usual).
Now imagine actual legislation being put in place. Suddenly civilians are more heavily armed then before. Then imagine the extreme possibility, law enforcement confiscating weapons. It would be civil war 2. The inbetween, your idea of a buyout. I have no doubt that sporting goods owners, pawn owners, gun store owners would take the guns for themselves and sell to family and friends.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Now imagine actual legislation being put in place. Suddenly civilians are more heavily armed then before. Then imagine the extreme possibility, law enforcement confiscating weapons. It would be civil war 2. The inbetween, your idea of a buyout. I have no doubt that sporting goods owners, pawn owners, gun store owners would take the guns for themselves and sell to family and friends.
How about just my idea for an (optional) buyout and universal/slightly more comprehensive background checks? Gun owners would still be in a panic. That's my point. They're fucking peckerwoods, they'll piss their pants over anything gun related because they've completely lost their objectivity.

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
How about just my idea for an (optional) buyout and universal/slightly more comprehensive background checks? Gun owners would still be in a panic. That's my point. They're fucking peckerwoods, they'll piss their pants over anything gun related because they've completely lost their objectivity.
I think we're in complete agreement at this point.

I just don't think that any measures taken to reduce the amount of guns in civilian hands (even successful ones) would make a difference in preventing tragedies like this one.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

I just don't think that any measures taken to reduce the amount of guns in civilian hands (even successful ones) would make a difference in preventing tragedies like this one.
You're probably right. Doesn't make it any easier watching ~50 other countries go year after year without a single gun death. Guess this is how Rome falls the second time.

Reactions: WeedZ

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I never understood why people protect firearms so much. Why? I never felt the need to own one. Hell I can get a sport license to own a handgun for sports (shooting at targets) but I never felt the need to own a gun.

Do most people even know why the second additament exists?

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I never understood why people protect firearms so much. Why? I never felt the need to own one. Hell I can get a sport license to own a handgun for sports (shooting at targets) but I never felt the need to own a gun.

Do most people even know why the second additament exists?
It's not about protecting guns. Its about keeping the focus on the true problem, mental health. Start saying guns are the cause of these tragedies and you don't do anything to fix the problem or hold the perpetrators accountable.

Reactions: DarthDub

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It wouldn't, people who get them illegally would still get them illegally; what needs to happen is people getting tested for mental health and are capable of being responsible, but also stricter background checks. The problem isn't firearms, it's the idiots who abuse them. Knives kill people too, but the problem isn't knives, again, the people behind them are the issue.

Reactions: WeedZ

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's not about protecting guns. Its about keeping the focus on the true problem, mental health. Start saying guns are the cause of these tragedies and you don't do anything to fix the problem or hold the perpetrators accountable.
That's what irks me so much though, the right-wing always talks about mental health as a distraction after a shooting happens, but they never do anything about mental health issues and they never will. That would require spending money that has to go to their billionaire donors instead.

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I find it funny people immediately jump to the "guns are not the problem" point.
Maybe not, but the ease of access you people have to guns is definitely a problem.
If you can buy guns nearly as easy as going to your local supermarket, then that is part of the problem. Saying it's not you may as well agree to stores selling hard-drugs because in the end it depends on how you use or don't use it.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I find it funny people immediately jump to the "guns are not the problem" point.
Maybe not, but the ease of access you people have to guns is definitely a problem.
If you can buy guns nearly as easy as going to your local supermarket, then that is part of the problem. Saying it's not you may as well agree to stores selling hard-drugs because in the end it depends on how you use or don't use it.
Yes, I agree we need better laws and regulations in place, even if people don't follow them much of the time.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's shit so many people have died. To be blunt there'll be a few days of mourning and it will be forgotten with no action taken. It happens with every shooting incident in America which is scandalous for a first world country. America truly has a toxic relationship cum obession with firearms and requires significant policy and cultural/societal changes to mend.

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
Well here in Australia we had one mass shooting of 35 people in 1997 . Since then after the new gun laws over 20 years there have been 4 mass shooting resulting in 13 deaths in total. Prior to 1997 for 20 years there was 59 deaths from mass shootings. Do the math changing the gun laws has saved at least 40 lives but with inflation and growth you could triple that number easily...

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
People don't automatically jump to "guns aren't the problem". People jump to "guns are the problem". Without that argument there's nothing to defend. It's not entirely easy to buy guns. They do background checks. More often than not the guns are stolen.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well here in Australia we had one mass shooting of 35 people in 1997 . Since then after the new gun laws over 20 years there have been 4 mass shooting resulting in 13 deaths in total. Prior to 1997 for 20 years there was 59 deaths from mass shootings. Do the math changing the gun laws has saved at least 40 lives but with inflation and growth you could triple that number easily...
No second amendment or NRA in Australia. People care more about people than guns, that's why such a miniscule number (from the US's perspective) was enough to force change.

george1391

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
No second amendment or NRA in Australia. People care more about people than guns, that's why such a miniscule number (from the US's perspective) was enough to force change.
But then there's argument in that video, 'if you can't get rid of it 100%, then it's not worth it.'

Any reduction in the number guns (however small the amount) would be beneficial.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
Ban the guns. Why is it so hard for Americans to get that?
Who do you need to defend from if no one has a gun any more?
They have no place in public hands in civilized society and we'll be having this same thread everytime it happens until someone makes a ban happen.

We barely have any gun deaths in UK and it's not rocket science, it's because we have no guns for sale to the public.
We have a lot of knife crime, but I'd rather take my chances against a guy with a knife than a guy with an AR15.

The mental health angle is bs from the pro gun lobby to take people's minds away from ban guns to treat mental health.
At least they got this kid alive for once. Kind of hard to treat a dead kid's mental health.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Lonely here
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Anybody?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I want my money back... Drug test? No drugs to test but they want me to pee in a cup! Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Better call Pedro you're up in smoke
    +2
  • C @ Clayton44333:
    hey any1 know if there is a new version of the ps4 homebrew store ?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Finally there are people here
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We're figments of your imagination
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: We're figments of your imagination +1