87% of PS3 Owners watch Blu-ray Movies on the PS3.

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by ZeWarrior, Jan 9, 2008.

1. ZeWarrior
    OP

ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Jul 2, 2007
    Brazil
  2. Linkiboy

Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

May 14, 2006
    United States
    Why wouldn't you use something that you can? :|

3. Gaisuto

Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

Former Staff
    Oct 27, 2002
    United States
    Palm Coast
    It's not really interesting or surprising. A lot of people buy the PS3 just for the Blu-Ray, simply because it's the cheapest Blu-Ray Player available.

4. VVoltz

VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Nov 6, 2002
    USA
    THE interesting fact would be to know how many PS3 owners actually use their PS3 for gaming.

5. ZeWarrior
    OP

ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Jul 2, 2007
    Brazil

I doubt anyone would buy the Ps3 for JUST blu-ray movies. If I'd guess I'd say 98.97% of PS3 owners use it for gaming [​IMG]

6. VVoltz

VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Nov 6, 2002
    USA
    [​IMG]

7. ZeWarrior
    OP

ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Jul 2, 2007
    Brazil
    First time I've seen one of those.

8. Gaisuto

Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

Former Staff
    Oct 27, 2002
    United States
    Palm Coast
    I've seen it everywhere. That poster was spread out around Europe before the PS3 launched there.

9. ZeWarrior
    OP

ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Jul 2, 2007
    Brazil

Keyword: Europe. The PS3 is also being sold in the US and Japan. In a more realistic estimate I'd say 84% of PS3 owners use it for gaming. The Rest for whatever.

10. JPH

JPH Banned

Banned
    Jul 11, 2006
    United States
    lol, if you have a PS3 that has bluray - why wouldn't you buy and play bluray disc on them?

Not surprising that 87% of PS3 owners watch bluray videos on their PS3. :/

11. Gaisuto

Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

Former Staff
    Oct 27, 2002
    United States
    Palm Coast
    In a more realistic estimate, 56.3276% say that they too can pull random numbers out of their ass at will.
    The percentage can't be that high. I'm sure a majority of the PS3 owners are playing it for the games, but you can't rule out that there's a huge batch of them that do it for the Blu-Ray support, too.

12. MC DUI

MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 30, 2003
    Newcastle, Australia
    There are definitely a whole bunch of people who only use the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player.

I visit a bunch of AV forums and there are thousands of people on there who own PS3's soley for the purpose of playing Blu-Ray discs.

The PS3 is a great Blu-Ray player as it has an internet connection and can be updated to the most recent profiles that are developed.

13. sekhu

sekhu moo?

Feb 14, 2007
    well it's the best blu-ray player on the market and can easily be upgraded via firmware to meet the current profile which is 1.1 - other blu-ray players don't support this, and it's a games machine too.

14. science

science science rules

Jun 9, 2006
    Canada
    I remember hearing that it was the cheapest Blu-ray player on the market, and thinking "hmm, maybe I should get it", I didn't give any thought to it about it playing games

15. hollabackitsobi

hollabackitsobi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 10, 2007
    United States
    In other news, 97.4% of people use cups for holding liquids and 99.2% of those same people polled also reported that they used their TVs for watching television programs.

16. thegame07

thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 16, 2006
    Where did they get these stats? Did they go to every single customers door and ask if they watch blu-ray movies?

17. ZeWarrior
    OP

ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Jul 2, 2007
    Brazil

They had a poll.

18. coolbho3000

coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

Apr 29, 2007
    Kikkoman Factory
    With an internet based poll, they're not taking an accurate sample space. People who watch Blu-Ray movies on their PS3 are probably more likely to respond to a Sony survey than those who don't.

19. Spikey

Spikey Your Special Someone

Mar 16, 2006
    United States
    Not surprising really. I was looking into the next gen of high def movies, and now since WB went Bluray exclusive, it's probably going to win. Kind of a bummer as I was hoping the format would fail, but that's another story. I only have little interest in the PS3 for games as my 360 is doing me fine, but now with the current state of things I might get it to play movies with first, and as a games machine 2nd.

20. deathfisaro

deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Mar 16, 2007
    Canada
    Vancouver, BC
    Yeah right I've purchased ONE BD movie ever since I got my PS3 in July 2007.
    Rental is so freaking far away it costs $6+tax plus like $4 for transportation. I stick to DVD rental which is 2 minutes away by foot.
    PS3 does DVD 1080P upscaling pretty good.

I'm waiting for Pirates of Caribbean BD 3-in-1 bundle pack thingy though.