Is it possible to rip blu-ray movies using a hacked PS3?

Drambit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Model: CECH-2501A
mmCM: 4.84.00
HEN: 4.84HEN [SC-35 | PL3]
firmware version: COBRA 4.84 HEN
Firmware: 4.86

I have my PS3 modded, and have successfully backed up some of my games to the internal HDD. I would like to backup some of my blu-ray movies as well, but they do not show up in multiman. Is it possible?

Dudee15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Model: CECH-2501A
mmCM: 4.84.00
HEN: 4.84HEN [SC-35 | PL3]
firmware version: COBRA 4.84 HEN
Firmware: 4.86

I have my PS3 modded, and have successfully backed up some of my games to the internal HDD. I would like to backup some of my blu-ray movies as well, but they do not show up in multiman. Is it possible?
are you inserting the disk with multiman open?

Drambit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It doesn't seem to matter when I insert it, it never shows up at all unless I keep tabbing through the different UIs with R1 or L1, and in that case it only shows up as this:
KkTHRF7.jpg

If I try to make a copy of that, it aborts at 0.00%. No idea what to do about that or even *if* there is anything I can do about that. Backing up games works great though.

universal_eternity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Yes, you can, but the dumped iso will not work because it is aacs encrypted. First, you need to transfer that encrypted iso to pc and decrypt with software like anydvd hd or similar (makemkv will not work, because that one needs a real bd drive on pc to do the decryption), then after that transfer the decrypted iso back to the ps3, that one should work on a cobra cfw.

Reactions: BigOnYa

Drambit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, you can, but the dumped iso will not work because it is aacs encrypted. First, you need to transfer that encrypted iso to pc and decrypt with software like anydvd hd or similar (makemkv will not work, because that one needs a real bd drive on pc to do the decryption), then after that transfer the decrypted iso back to the ps3, that one should work on a cobra cfw.
How to dump it in the first place though? It will not even show up, encrypted or otherwise, the closest I have gotten to ripping it is aborted automatically at 0.00%.

universal_eternity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It's been long time since I booted the ps3 (and I have an old cfw), but iirc the last bluray movie I ripped there, I just went into multiman (making sure it was in cobra mode), in the xmb-looking interface of Multiman, to the videos section, and I think from there I selected "create iso" or something like that from the disc icon.

I created the iso directly on the pc (nethostfs) because copying it to the internal hdd is a waste of time since it cannot be played until decrypted, copying to external fat drive would split the iso because of file size limit, which is annoying, and copying to external ntfs didn't seem possible.

ClainBill

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@universal_eternity why do you say that makemkv won't work without an actual drive on the pc, there's an option to open video files that are stored (.iso is a supported format)
Does it not properly decrypt them or something?

I'll check myself when I can get a hard drive for my PC and setup nethostfs

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

universal_eternity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
@universal_eternity why do you say that makemkv won't work without an actual drive on the pc, there's an option to open video files that are stored (.iso is a supported format)
Does it not properly decrypt them or something?

I'll check myself when I can get a hard drive for my PC and setup nethostfs

Afaik, MakeMKV doesn't have decryption code on its own. If you give it an encrypted blu ray iso, it won't be able to do anything. (but it should work with a decrypted iso).

MakeMKV decrypts real blu-rays communicating directly with the drive, which is exactly what official blu-ray software players do. On the other hand, programs such as AnyDVD, etc, those actually have the decryption algorithm and keys on their own and don't need a blu-ray player. I guess it is a matter of legality, the MakeMKV approach is probably more legal and less prone to them getting sued than what AnyDVD does.

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if the ps3 can rip bluray movies, but what you could do is buy one of those "unlocked" bd drives, then rip the movie with makemkv.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know actually, but the AACS keys change every half year to one and a half years, so you'd have to keep on top of that.

Jaitor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It's been long time since I booted the ps3 (and I have an old cfw), but iirc the last bluray movie I ripped there, I just went into multiman (making sure it was in cobra mode), in the xmb-looking interface of Multiman, to the videos section, and I think from there I selected "create iso" or something like that from the disc icon.

I created the iso directly on the pc (nethostfs) because copying it to the internal hdd is a waste of time since it cannot be played until decrypted, copying to external fat drive would split the iso because of file size limit, which is annoying, and copying to external ntfs didn't seem possible.
Excuse me, could you explain how you did the nethost part? I'm trying and it's becoming impossible

I am also having problems with the content of the BD, multiman extract the folders instead of an iso, and when transferring them via ftp to the pc it causes the decryption programs to give me an error

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-