New to PS3 modding...was wondering if anyone can help me with a possible fix for overheating on my JB non BC PS3....Couldn't find answer anywhere.

OldSchoolGamer86

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello.

I bought and overpaid for a PS3 a bit ago that I was told was BC but of course wasn't and as I was stupid and not thinking and didn't think to check for USB ports or CECH# I bought it, and once I got home, Jailbroke it after learning it was not what I was told and it was a no return place so I was stuck with it.

So anyway, I put Cobra on it after learning its a 160GB fat model the last model Original design PS3 made. Released around the time the 80GB was I THINK that they didn't implement the ability to boot PS3 games on as they did the 80GB which aside from being able to boot Ps2 discs has (to my knowledge) no better emulator in it than any other non 20/60GB PS3.

After I JB it I expected this but I had to fiddle with the fan as the PS3 when playing PS2 ISO's began to overheat very fast and I couldn't get more than like 10-15ish mins playing any PS2 ISO and I found even if I jacked up the fan to where it was blowing hard, that ironically to me, made the problem just as bad if not worse with the unit overheating and getting the red blinking light very quickly.

Is there any possible way I can do something to the settings or something to prevent the unit from overheating so fast when playing PS2 ISO's. I get the whole reality that it uses more power as its pushing itself harder than it was designed to, in order to boot and run said file.

Is there anything I can do, or am I basically stuck and better off deleting every PS2 ISO and just run PSX/PS1 instead, or is there a way I can do something that doesn't require soldering that can help prevent the console from overheating so fast with PS2 ISO's? I also understand the fact the ability was not implemented as stated that it cant read PS2 discs despite having an emulator(every PS3 does) to run PS1/PS2 games, and while it will boot isos mounted off the HDD it wouldn't boot burned discs which are basically the same as an ISO but I understand the whole "cant read any disc in PS2 mode" but I thought that was interesting so I just wanted to mention it as it can read DVD movies so I bet there could be a way to eventually get the PS3's to boot at-least burned discs as it recognizes them but wont do any more than that.

Sorry for my rambling...I do that at times unintentionally. Is there any way to keep the PS3 cooler or to expand the time it will work before the red light "system is about to overheat" light comes on only a few mins or so after booting PS2 ISO's? IF there is anything that can be done, can I please be educated on what/how etc?

I would greatly appreciate any and all help I can get on this subject.

Thanks, be well, and Take care everyone!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ps2 games do not have a dynamic fan control, so they have to be set a static speed during your gameplay. if you're using webman mod, make sure to have ps2 games set at 40-50%. this is different than the regular fan speed, which is better to have temp thresholds set at 68 degrees C.

Esdeath

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
1. What would you want to solder to make the ps3 run cooler?

2. open it up, clean It, renew the thermal paste and look up „eraser mod“ where you use a piece of an eraser to increase pressure on the cpu for better contact to the cooler

OldSchoolGamer86

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ps2 games do not have a dynamic fan control, so they have to be set a static speed during your gameplay. if you're using webman mod, make sure to have ps2 games set at 40-50%. this is different than the regular fan speed, which is better to have temp thresholds set at 68 degrees C.
Hey.

Yes, this sounds similar to something I have already done. Using the fan control, in the settings in the menu, I set it so the fan always runs at 40%. The longest I can get from this is about 15-20 minutes before I get the overheat notice with the red light flashing. I have tried setting it to 30%, 35%, 45%, 50% and nothing extends it...only makes it overheat faster especially when the fan is louder than when it is set at 40-50%.

I always assumed having the fan at the set speed all the time would be better than switching not now and then? Is this not the case? if so, what would you recommend for a regular setting while when running PS2 putting it at 40% as you suggested(which is funny enough as stated earlier, my general all the time setting, that I changed from the webman menu that opens into a browser screen that once set, has you reset your console) which I find interesting or kinda ironic/funny.

@Esdeath I was not suggesting any form of action requiring soldering...I should have been more clear when I mentioned that. The reason I did so, was to say, "I do not have any knowledge or skills nor tools and do not know anything about this, so if its necessary for something as if I needed to do something and open it up, I would not be able to do so, so please do not recommend this as I wont be able to do anything where soldering is required".

I will look up that "eraser method" thank you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1