8.5 Gigabyte CDs have smaller size

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I want to burn an ISO of iATKOS to a CD on Brasero, since you can't flash the ISO onto a USB drive. I have around nine or ten blank CDs that say they have 8.5 gigabytes of storage. But, for some reason, the blank CDs are smaller in storage. I'm not sure if it's a problem on my end or what. Any suggestions on what I can do?
The only disc around 8.5 GB are Dual Layer DVDs.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No idea if the link above to the internet archive is within the forum rules… but I've looked at it and the ISO file within the ZIP will fit on single layer DVD±R(W). An expensive DVD+R DL would be wasted.

I used Nero for Linux back when optical media was a thing.
Although it looked like Nero 6 to Nero 8 (Windows) and not the bloated mess of later Nero for Windows versions, Nero Linux never quite worked for me.

For standard writing cdrecord/wodim, growisofs and cdrdao (and graphical frontends) are more than sufficient. ← That's the part important for the actual topic.

For anything deeper involving copying of non-standard discs, complex authoring, multi-session… I won't get quite happy on Linux.
With the open source programs available on Windows in the form of the nice frontend cdrtfe and the various proprietary burn engines (CloneCD, Alcohol, Blindwrite, IMGBurn, Nero…) Windows is clearly in advantage here.
Nothing beats XP in this regard (unless burning BD-R and BDXL – I'd choose newer Windows then).

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
https://archive.org/details/iatkosv2
When it comes to the 8.5 gigabytes in size, I was referring to the DVDs.
So,I have the ISO with this Size of 4,5 GB
1707843810699.png

Then used ImgBurn and a VERBATIM DVD-R with 4,7 GB (real free Space with 4.38 GB)

1707843924950.png
1707844132316.png

1707844303601.png
1707844335524.png

Then the same with RUFUS:

INTENSO 8 GB USB Stick:

1707844389108.png
1707844410479.png

1707844447167.png
1707845252625.png

Error - It says " Image is not bootable or uses a non standard/non supported Start or Compressmethod".

TransMAC only copied a Folder with around 4MB...

1707845476218.png
1707845495055.png

Now tried it with YUMI on the INTENSO USB Stick:

1707845362887.png
1707845635546.png

Also a Fail,it only copied over the ISO File....😢

Sorry,my Knowledge about Mac Things is not so good....

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Then used ImgBurn and a VERBATIM DVD-R with 4,7 GB (real free Space with 4.38 GB)
Some idiot above
445180.jpg
already had a look at the number of bytes, which is a little below 4,700,000,000 – surely not a coincidence but designed like this.
You didn't have to use a DVD-R, Alex, :rofl2: or are you going to use it?

Well. Now that you have burned a disc… does it show files? Is this thing (image) okay?

Some hybrid images exist that can be burned to optical disc and written to flash memory with dd, but some only work on one type. Probably the easiest to simply use DVD±R here instead of trying to flash to USB.

• Haha
Reactions: Alexander1970

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
So, I want to burn an ISO of iATKOS to a CD on Brasero, since you can't flash the ISO onto a USB drive. I have around nine or ten blank CDs that say they have 8.5 gigabytes of storage. But, for some reason, the blank CDs are smaller in storage. I'm not sure if it's a problem on my end or what. Any suggestions on what I can do?
CDs CAN NOT HOLD more than 700 MB of data, may be you are talking about DVDs DVD+R DL can hold up to 8.5 GB and BD-R can hold typically 25 GB

• Wow

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
@TanMasked

For me it seems you have two Options:

- Use a MAC and the Chameleon Installer for MAC with the ISO.
- Use a Windows PC and use the Chameleon Installer for Windows (which I was unable to find at the Moment..) with the ISO.

###############################################################################

Some idiot above
445180.jpg
already had a look at the number of bytes, which is a little below 4,700,000,000 – surely not a coincidence but designed like this.
You didn't have to use a DVD-R, Alex, :rofl2: or are you going to use it?

Well. Now that you have burned a disc… does it show files? Is this thing (image) okay?

Some hybrid images exist that can be burned to optical disc and written to flash memory with dd, but some only work on one type. Probably the easiest to simply use DVD±R here instead of trying to flash to USB.
🤣😉

Ohne Titel-1.jpg

################################################################################

The good News for @TanMasked

The DVD-R made with ImgBurn seems to be bootable...but of course useless on an Windows PC.🤣😉❤️

Last edited by Alexander1970,

TanMasked

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
@TanMasked

For me it seems you have two Options:

- Use a MAC and the Chameleon Installer for MAC with the ISO.
- Use a Windows PC and use the Chameleon Installer for Windows (which I was unable to find at the Moment..) with the ISO.

###############################################################################

🤣😉

View attachment 419812

################################################################################

The good News for @TanMasked

The DVD-R made with ImgBurn seems to be bootable...but of course useless on an Windows PC.🤣😉❤️
I DO have a Mac, but it's a Hackintosh and it doesn't have any internet. At least, on a wireless level.

EDIT: Forgot to mention it runs macOS Catalina.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
CDs CAN NOT HOLD more than 700 MB of data,
:creep:Are you sure about this?:creep:
My personal record is 1400MB on a CD-R. I guess 1600MB should be possible when using special TDK.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Ever have a pressed Audio CD with a missing ToC because the band thought they would be clever and put a hidden track before the first track? Yeah... Evanescence thought that would be a cute stunt to pull with their album "Origin". My CD-ROM drive HATED trying to rip that music CD... It eventually locked it in, but without a ToC, it struggled for a good 5 mins or so. CDex had a hissy fit about a missing ToC before the rip, but all the tracks came out fine.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I DO have a Mac, but it's a Hackintosh and it doesn't have any internet. At least, on a wireless level.

EDIT: Forgot to mention it runs macOS Catalina.
Great.
So then I think
The Chameleon Installer will work with the ISO File on your MAC.😉👍
or
The seemingly bootable DVD-R made with ImgBurn.😉👍

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
:creep:Are you sure about this?:creep:
My personal record is 1400MB on a CD-R. I guess 1600MB should be possible when using special TDK.
Well "Standard" CD-ROM Setups.
Post automatically merged:

If I am not wrong there is a Nero Burning ROM for linux, was free but ofcourse is not more available to download on the official site.

TanMasked

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Alright. At this point, all of this is becoming complicated as fuck.

Should I just throw in the towel and try burning the iATKOS ISO onto a USB flash drive?

• Sad

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Alright. At this point, all of this is becoming complicated as fuck.
There is nothing complicated about writing an ISO file to a blank DVD. Literally seconds of work (and some minutes of waiting).

Should I just throw in the towel and try burning the iATKOS ISO onto a USB flash drive?
It depends on the image if it can run from HDD/SSD/Flash and optical discs.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I was talking about fixing the problem with the blank DVD sizes. I wasn't talking about burning the ISO onto a blank DVD.
There is no problem with the image size in the first place. The image simply fits on single layer DVD as the number shows and as @Alexander1970 showed by trying it.

Just go ahead and write the image do a blank disc. → :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright