Homebrew 7-zip over SMB issue with FceuGX/Snes9XGX/VBAGX

Maverick Lunar X

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't know what I did, but I broke it. D:

I recently upgraded my computer to Windows 7, and sharing to the emulators still works perfectly fine, until I try to use a .7z file, then the emulator of choice either freezes or crashes with a memory dump. I'm assuming there's a direct correlation between the new OS and the crashing, just not exactly sure how to fix, or even where to start. I've reinstalled both winrar and 7-Zip on my compycomp, but still no results. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, I did a quick search here and didn't see anything relative to this, but if there's a thread already my apologies.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
the Wii has limited RAM, try to reduce the 7zip file dictionnary size otherwise it's going to crash when reading/decompressing files

off course, what OS or software you installed on your computer to handle 7z file has absolutely no relations with the emulators crashing on the Wii, the 7z file that is sent over network is just a file like others, it's decompressed on the Wii, not on your computer.

Maverick Lunar X

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jesterscourt: Yes, both WinRAR and 7-Zip, newest builds, are installed.

Jacobeian: Well that kinda helps, I wasn't sure if windows was doing the decompressing or not. It's not the dictionary size, gotten that error before and fixed. Just to clarify, these same files worked perfectly up until about 2 days ago, same emulator builds and what not. Also, if I copy them to the sd card they work fine as well, again pointing to not being a dictionary size issue. Permissions don't appear to be a problem either, because .zip files respond correctly.

I'm gonna try reformatting the SD card and reloading the emulators on there, perhaps it's just bad sectors where the emulators are. All of them. :|

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Maverick Lunar X said:
Jesterscourt: Yes, both WinRAR and 7-Zip, newest builds, are installed.

Jacobeian: Well that kinda helps, I wasn't sure if windows was doing the decompressing or not. It's not the dictionary size, gotten that error before and fixed. Just to clarify, these same files worked perfectly up until about 2 days ago, same emulator builds and what not. Also, if I copy them to the sd card they work fine as well, again pointing to not being a dictionary size issue. Permissions don't appear to be a problem either, because .zip files respond correctly.

I'm gonna try reformatting the SD card and reloading the emulators on there, perhaps it's just bad sectors where the emulators are. All of them. :|

if this was bad sectors on SD where emu are loaded from, the emulator won't work at all, apps don't run from SDCARD, they are loaded into RAM on startup then only access SDCARD when you want to load or save something to it.

that's sure a strange issue if it only happens with 7z files through SMB.
mellow.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Jacobeian said:
cobleman said:
I think the problem here is that your trying to load 7zip files.
FceuGX/Snes9XGX/VBAGX cant read 7zip

off course they do read 7zip file
Yes, I already launched game in 7zip format too
tongue.gif

It even allows you to choose a single rom inside a duplicate rom pack in 7z format.

But it says it can't load it when the dictionary is too big, or when there are too many games in the archive and it needs more ram on the wii to unzip it fully.
I think it's what is written in the readme anyway.

Maverick Lunar X

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right.

So my question still remains: what changed that made the same file that was previously working fine, now crash to a memory dump/freeze? The reason I noted the change in OS on my computer is a possible link in how Windows 7 handles file sharing compared to XP.

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
Im on windows 7 and SNESGX cant read 7z files it can read zip files. So then i zipped a couple of games to 7z file format well to my surprise it could even see it in SNESGX mode on WII but what happens when you go to load OH it cant load the 7z file comes up with an ERROR, WOW that was a surprise like i said FceuGX/Snes9XGX/VBAGX cant read 7z files only ZIP files or raw rom files
PS i have over 800 zip files the WII reads them all in 1 folder

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The code dump and hang is right on the file access, or after it managed to load it a little ?

If you have a code dump, maybe Tantric could use the information written on it to detect the place where the problem occurs.
maybe the smb doesn't work the same way on window7 and previous OS, or maybe there's a new firewall/anti-virus/routing rule blocking 7z access (only a supposition, I don't know why those file type only would be affected. maybe new NTFS rights overs filetypes, or I know an antivirus (mc afee) can prevent access to certain filetype/folder from the network)

You have to find if it's Windows side or Wii side first.
So you should try another homebrew like Wiixplorer and see if it can copy/paste it from smb to SD. (not ftpii, as it's from ftp and not samba)
If it's working then it's not windows side.

Then check if it's an emulator problem by loading 7z from USB for example. (yes I know it worked before the update so usb has nothing to do, but just try it to be sure it's not the emu/config
tongue.gif
)
Then try a previous release (the smb share was changed many times, maybe there's a new bug in the latest version)

Then you can contact Tantric to point this bug out.

Maverick Lunar X

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cobleman: yes it's supported. Had it working.

Cyan: hangs on file access, like click-BOOM. I've been meaning to grab the code dumps, just never got around to it. I'll be on vacation for a week so I'll get everything together when I get back and contact Tantric. I know that I can access them when I open them from the SD card; didn't think to try moving them over SMB like that, thanks for the tip. I think that is the real key with this, because I've been on the same version of emulators through all this. Come to think of it, Avast did get a new update when I went to 7 as well, so that could be it as well.

Anywho, to be continued I guess :/

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
Maverick Lunar X said:
cobleman: yes it's supported. Had it working.

Cyan: hangs on file access, like click-BOOM. I've been meaning to grab the code dumps, just never got around to it. I'll be on vacation for a week so I'll get everything together when I get back and contact Tantric. I know that I can access them when I open them from the SD card; didn't think to try moving them over SMB like that, thanks for the tip. I think that is the real key with this, because I've been on the same version of emulators through all this. Come to think of it, Avast did get a new update when I went to 7 as well, so that could be it as well.

Anywho, to be continued I guess :/
Sorry ok i got it working had to unzip to raw file 1st then rezipp with 7zip and it worked.I was making the mistake of 7zipping a zip well there you go learnt that it does work.
I still cant be bothered unzipping all my roms just to 7zip them to lazy lol
So when did 7zip files become compatible? First time i updated any emus since ive been playing WiiWare

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Maverick Lunar X

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fixed the problem: LONG FILEPATH NAME IS LONG. renamed the folder from over 50 characters to like, 4. works like a charm now. some of them are actually to compressed, anyone know roughly what the best dictionary size to use for 7zip is?

xander150

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@Maverick Lunar X: Just use 1MB for dictionary. I use it for all my NES/SNES/GBX roms and didn't found a file yet that was not openable, files get a little bit bigger sometimes but this shouldn't matter. You could also just use ZIP which has no dictionary.

cobleman said:
I still cant be bothered unzipping all my roms just to 7zip them to lazy lol
Google for GoodMerge and UnGoodMerge, they do exactly this, extracting all files and putting them into new archives (or just extracting), you can also set the dictionary size so that the Wii can still open them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.