6 year old blames GTA for wrecking car

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Tempbot, Jan 9, 2009.

Jan 9, 2009
  1. Tempbot
    OP

Contributor Tempbot Tunnel Snakes rule

pip
    United Kingdom
    6 year old blames GTA for wrecking car

This is not a joke. This is actual news!

"A six-year-old who recently stole his parents' car and drove it into a utility pole has passed the buck onto a familiar scapegoat: the video game, Grand Theft Auto. Rockstar Games' controversial Grand Theft Auto video game has been criticized by parent groups and crusaders (or in the eyes of gamers, nincompoops) like former lawyer Jack Thompson for years (Thompson once tried to link the Virginia Tech slayings to late-night Counterstrike sessions. He's since been disbarred). However, not as of yet has anyone under the age of, oh, ten, blamed the game for a car theft."
    Contributed by zidane_genome

2. iPikachu

Member iPikachu C3's personal flamebot and fail artist

Singapore
    how would a six year old be able to play and udnerstand the game?!

[​IMG]

3. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    Why is a six year old playing a 16+ year old game? [​IMG]

4. GameSoul

Member GameSoul youtube.com/variantdevil

United States
    My sister is six, and she barely even knows how to ingite the engine...

5. OmerMe

Member OmerMe GBAtemp Fan

Israel
    This is stupid, they shouldn't blame the game, they should blame the parents for letting a 6 year old kid play a 16+ game

6. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Every one knows that the PEGI and etc. systems don't work. Parents generally are lazy, and kids inventive. The best part is it provides a perfect scape-goat for people. Especially since the game itself does contain violence (hence the rating). Then again, I have to say I agree with most of the world that games that the problem lies with people who should be responsible for the child. The game rating of 16+ has a reason, though not always a good one.

Such a rating, granted, is subjective and will not be accurate for everyone. I've been playing games rated higher for a long time (until I became old enough of course) but I was thought and I understood the fact that this was a game. To be frank it is a perfect way to enhance skills and let emotions out in a safe way (for both myself and society). You don't see me riding over people like I did in carmegeddon now that I have my license do you. Never even get the urge, at best I joke about it.

My parents knew this, thought me the difference and there was no problem whatsoever. They also tended to check the games out when I had them to make sure I could be playing them. Also I have to say I don't see the basic difference between a bedtime story and games or movies. At best the bedtime story is worse as it allows more for your own imagination (adding GRUSEM DETAILS [​IMG]).

==
    Don't get me wrong though, there is most definetly a connection between people's behavior and video games. Just most people are capable of not considering both equal. There are undoubtadly people who are unable to make the distinction.
    Granted though this rant is a fairly general as pretty much most people who aren't a-holes can say.

The thing I wonder however, is how influenced is this child to be saying this. I mean yea children probably don't take responsibility for their actions at that age (something they possibly need though [​IMG]) but still immidiatly pointing the finger at GTA....

7. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    I don't think there is any connection. I just can't accept that children with a proper education and parents who care enough for them suddenly start wrecking cars because of a video game.

If you don't know the difference between games and real life, you shouldn't be allowed to play any game at all, even if it's Super Mario Galaxy or Lego Racers. Video games don't cause any violent or wrong behaviour, but people who don't know the difference obviously can't.

I really hate that some video games have to be censored because a few idiots can't handle them. Movies, games and any similar art should be allowed to have as much violence as the creator deems necessary.

8. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    Is it just 16+ in the states? It's 18+ here [​IMG]
    Anyway, I do think a six year old can get the idea to steal a car like in the game.. I played commandos: behind enemy lines in the snow when i was small... maybe a youngster might play gta with a real car... but really... the parents should supervise him so it won't happen... they should've been home since he got the keys to the car...

9. teonintyfive

Member teonintyfive GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Greece
    He didn't blame GTA. he said GTA made him learn how to drive.

10. Sstew

Member Sstew GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.

United States

Agreed, I read 3 stories about this, all saying he quoted GTA as teaching him to drive, not blaming it.

Plus, a 6 year old, let alone anyone under 15 should not be playing GTA IMO.
    I blame the parents not the kid, From what I read he drove a decent distance before wrecking too,

11. sanoblue

Member sanoblue The Fuzzy Blue Woof!

United States
    either way this kid is freakin stupid and the parents are retarded...... i love the saw movies... but im not building death traps to put people in....

WANNA PLAY A GAME????

12. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    Lol
    1.) what a noob for smashing the car up XD
    2.) since when should a 6 year old be allowed to play GTA?!
    3.) Can't have taught him how to drive very well then eh? [​IMG]

13. sanoblue

Member sanoblue The Fuzzy Blue Woof!

United States
    mommy mommy look what i can do.... vrrrroom vrrrroom...

14. Doggy124

Member Doggy124 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    Does GTA teach you how to drive!?

It more likely that it teach you how to push a buttons (on controler)

15. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    lmao!! that's all i gotta say

16. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    heh.

never been much for ageism and how the certificate system works. but to be honest I am surprised a 6 year old would even want to play GTA

17. silvershadow

Member silvershadow GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    i dont think it was about the driving, it was about the stealing of the car.

btw, where are u guys getting "16 year old and 15 year old" from? this game should be 18+ everywhere. only dumbass 18 year olds mimic what they see in games. they should know by that age what the difference is between things u shuold do in real life, and things u shouldnt.

anyone younger shouldn't be introduced to foolishness like that, lol. no matter how mature u think u are or people say u are:P

[​IMG]

18. Shryquill

Member Shryquill GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    lol, its not the games, its how were gaming.

anyway i wouldnt have thought you post that sort of stuff on gbatemp

19. m3rox

Member m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I'm betting the kid's parents told him to say it was GTA's fault.

20. ball2012003

ball2012003 Newbie

how could the kid know how to start the car, put it in reverse, take the brakes off, and reach the gas pedal
    seems crazy to me