6 year old blames GTA for wrecking car

tempBOT

The GBAtemp Robot
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
6 year old blames GTA for wrecking car

This is not a joke. This is actual news!

"A six-year-old who recently stole his parents' car and drove it into a utility pole has passed the buck onto a familiar scapegoat: the video game, Grand Theft Auto. Rockstar Games' controversial Grand Theft Auto video game has been criticized by parent groups and crusaders (or in the eyes of gamers, nincompoops) like former lawyer Jack Thompson for years (Thompson once tried to link the Virginia Tech slayings to late-night Counterstrike sessions. He's since been disbarred). However, not as of yet has anyone under the age of, oh, ten, blamed the game for a car theft."
Contributed by zidane_genome

iPikachu

C3's personal flamebot and fail artist
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
how would a six year old be able to play and udnerstand the game?!

unsure.gif

OmerMe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
This is stupid, they shouldn't blame the game, they should blame the parents for letting a 6 year old kid play a 16+ game

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Every one knows that the PEGI and etc. systems don't work. Parents generally are lazy, and kids inventive. The best part is it provides a perfect scape-goat for people. Especially since the game itself does contain violence (hence the rating). Then again, I have to say I agree with most of the world that games that the problem lies with people who should be responsible for the child. The game rating of 16+ has a reason, though not always a good one.

Such a rating, granted, is subjective and will not be accurate for everyone. I've been playing games rated higher for a long time (until I became old enough of course) but I was thought and I understood the fact that this was a game. To be frank it is a perfect way to enhance skills and let emotions out in a safe way (for both myself and society). You don't see me riding over people like I did in carmegeddon now that I have my license do you. Never even get the urge, at best I joke about it.

My parents knew this, thought me the difference and there was no problem whatsoever. They also tended to check the games out when I had them to make sure I could be playing them. Also I have to say I don't see the basic difference between a bedtime story and games or movies. At best the bedtime story is worse as it allows more for your own imagination (adding GRUSEM DETAILS
tongue.gif
).

==
Don't get me wrong though, there is most definetly a connection between people's behavior and video games. Just most people are capable of not considering both equal. There are undoubtadly people who are unable to make the distinction.
Granted though this rant is a fairly general as pretty much most people who aren't a-holes can say.

The thing I wonder however, is how influenced is this child to be saying this. I mean yea children probably don't take responsibility for their actions at that age (something they possibly need though
tongue.gif
) but still immidiatly pointing the finger at GTA....

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Scorpei said:
Don't get me wrong though, there is most definetly a connection between people's behavior and video games. Just most people are capable of not considering both equal. There are undoubtadly people who are unable to make the distinction.
I don't think there is any connection. I just can't accept that children with a proper education and parents who care enough for them suddenly start wrecking cars because of a video game.

If you don't know the difference between games and real life, you shouldn't be allowed to play any game at all, even if it's Super Mario Galaxy or Lego Racers. Video games don't cause any violent or wrong behaviour, but people who don't know the difference obviously can't.

I really hate that some video games have to be censored because a few idiots can't handle them. Movies, games and any similar art should be allowed to have as much violence as the creator deems necessary.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Is it just 16+ in the states? It's 18+ here
ohmy.gif

Anyway, I do think a six year old can get the idea to steal a car like in the game.. I played commandos: behind enemy lines in the snow when i was small... maybe a youngster might play gta with a real car... but really... the parents should supervise him so it won't happen... they should've been home since he got the keys to the car...

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
teonintyfive said:
He didn't blame GTA. he said GTA made him learn how to drive.

Agreed, I read 3 stories about this, all saying he quoted GTA as teaching him to drive, not blaming it.

Plus, a 6 year old, let alone anyone under 15 should not be playing GTA IMO.
I blame the parents not the kid, From what I read he drove a decent distance before wrecking too,

Sanoblue

The Fuzzy Blue Woof!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
either way this kid is freakin stupid and the parents are retarded...... i love the saw movies... but im not building death traps to put people in....

WANNA PLAY A GAME????

silvershadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Doggy124 said:
Does GTA teach you how to drive!?

It more likely that it teach you how to push a buttons (on controler)

i dont think it was about the driving, it was about the stealing of the car.

btw, where are u guys getting "16 year old and 15 year old" from? this game should be 18+ everywhere. only dumbass 18 year olds mimic what they see in games. they should know by that age what the difference is between things u shuold do in real life, and things u shouldnt.

anyone younger shouldn't be introduced to foolishness like that, lol. no matter how mature u think u are or people say u are:P

smile.gif

B

ball2012003

how could the kid know how to start the car, put it in reverse, take the brakes off, and reach the gas pedal
seems crazy to me

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Chuck your brain out the window, it's useless, use your head instead