Hacking 6.2.0 - Renix, Atmosphere, SX OS which one to use?

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Couldn't be bothered reading the thread as I'm sure it's full of the usual tribal bullshit.

My advice is simple, try them all and go with whatever suits you best. You can pretty much get by with any of them so it doesn't even matter.

CWaffles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried to use my SX Pro dongle this weekend, but when I went to activate the license (uploaded the request file to the website, downloaded the license.dat) it told me that the license.dat file was invalid for the switch I was trying to use it on (this was the first time I was trying to use the SX Pro dongle) so I'll get that sorted out. So, since that really wasnt working for me, I went with Atmosphere which is working great. I've got my nand backup from before I did anything, so I can always reload nand and try other stuff later. I don't really care about playing online (or even going online) so not worried about getting banned or anything like that. This switch is purely to mess around with. I have another switch that I use for anything online I may want to play.

It's been interesting reading everyone's comments. I didnt think I would get that many responses or have this many views on the thread, so thank you all for your help, comments, etc. :-)

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1. Atmosphere's implementation I said will LIKELY be better. Mainly because more time has been invested into it and he would have developers helping him (as the code is open-source).

Sure, but it doesn't exist yet. Therefore you CAN'T use that as an argument.

2. Because it's a feature that many people do want. Storing NSPs on an external HDD or playing media from a external HDD would be great. It may not happen now or maybe not even early 2019. But it will certainly happen sometime in the near future.

You think if many people want something then it's a guarantee that it will happen soon? Are you new to the scene?

3. If it wasn't for the USB HDD feature it would be. Installing NSPs is easier than ever and once it's installed it's quicker and more convenient to access.

XCI don't clutter your home screen.

XCIs will never get implemented into Atmosphere/Reinx because it's flat out illegal (yes the method TX used to get XCIs is illegal. Honestly not surprised).

XCI is the least illegal method, because you can backup your own carts & argue fair use. NSP are much more illegal. The reason why XCI = bad, NSP = good is because of hatred for TX.

If TX had come out with NSP, then the scene would love XCI.

4. That would never happen but you'd probably be right. As many people don't want to switch.

People would switch to XCI if it became available, it's just saltiness by developers (or maybe they are paid by TX and it would hurt their income).

Last edited by smf,

Joshtech

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Sure, but it doesn't exist yet. Therefore you CAN'T use that as an argument.

XCI don't clutter your home screen.

XCI is the least illegal method, because you can backup your own carts & argue fair use. NSP are much more illegal. The reason why XCI = bad, NSP = good is because of hatred for TX.

People would switch to XCI if it became available, it's just saltiness by developers (or maybe they are paid by TX and it would hurt their income).

"XCI don't clutter your home screen."
XCIs do clutter your homescreen with useless icons that can only be launched when the corresponding game is mounted. NSPs have the same icons and also save you the hassle of having to mount each game every time you want to play it

"XCI is the least illegal method, because you can backup your own carts & argue fair use. NSP are much more illegal."
XCI is the least illegal method... Bullshit. Piracy is Piracy. Also you can backup your own eShop purchased titles.

"The reason why XCI = bad, NSP = good is because of hatred for TX."
No, no it's really not.

"People would switch to XCI if it became available, it's just saltiness by developers (or maybe they are paid by TX and it would hurt their income)"
I've used XCI with SXOS. Will never look back after using NSPs nor will I ever use SXOS again

Essasetic

General Spectator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was talking about TX's implementation of the XCI format. It's straight up illegal. https://gbatemp.net/threads/whats-the-challenge-with-the-xci-loader.520247/page-3#post-8324588

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Read the post and come back to me telling me it's the "least illegal method".

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You think if many people want something then it's a guarantee that it will happen soon? Are you new to the scene?
I'm not saying it's absolutely 100% guaranteed it's going to happen. I just see it happening in the foreseeable future.

And no. I am not new to the scene.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was talking about TX's implementation of the XCI format. It's straight up illegal. https://gbatemp.net/threads/whats-the-challenge-with-the-xci-loader.520247/page-3#post-8324588

Maybe, maybe not. If anything it sounds like what Accolade did to bypass security on genesis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_v._Accolade

Of course that was for new games which had a legitimate use, but XCI backups have a fair use.

Read the post and come back to me telling me it's the "least illegal method".

I read it, neither option is legal but my view hasn't changed. XCI still has a much clearer fair use argument.

Last edited by smf,

Aniblaze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
"XCI don't clutter your home screen."
XCIs do clutter your homescreen with useless icons that can only be launched when the corresponding game is mounted. NSPs have the same icons and also save you the hassle of having to mount each game every time you want to play it

"XCI is the least illegal method, because you can backup your own carts & argue fair use. NSP are much more illegal."
XCI is the least illegal method... Bullshit. Piracy is Piracy. Also you can backup your own eShop purchased titles.

"The reason why XCI = bad, NSP = good is because of hatred for TX."
No, no it's really not.

"People would switch to XCI if it became available, it's just saltiness by developers (or maybe they are paid by TX and it would hurt their income)"
I've used XCI with SXOS. Will never look back after using NSPs nor will I ever use SXOS again
Personally I use XCI because there's too much happening with NSP files that could warrant a ban. Fake tickets and potentially stuff in the log are an almost guaranteed ban when you ever go online with the Switch again. This would mean using checkpoint to backup your save games, restoring a clean NAND, and only then going online. This is a lot of trouble for simply going online. With SX OS I could use XCI just fine without getting banned, as long as I did not go online while using CFW. I didn't have to restore a clean NAND before switching to OFW and going online.

But now, with SD EmuNAND hitting the scene, I have to admit there's no real point in using XCI anymore. I am currently using SD emuNAND and installing NSP's on it, while keeping my real NAND clean. The ban danger is the only reason I wouldn't recommend NSP's.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Right now, SX OS is better suited for the average, lazy consumer because it comes neatly packed and ready to use with all features most people will ever need. It doesn’t matter if code has been stolen or payed for. It’s a product for pirates that costs money.

That being said, as history dictates, I have no doubt in my mind that someday open-source community works like Atmosphere will surpass SX OS in everything and become the premier solution for Switch hacks.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cite your sources, research, and credibility, or FOAD.
TX’s emunand just uses FS patches that have to be updated every time a system update is released that changes FS, Atmosphere’s emunand will use EL2 for nand redirection and should be 100% undetectable to Horizon, and WILL work on every FW without needing to be updated. This came from the Reswitched discord

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Personally I use XCI because there's too much happening with NSP files that could warrant a ban. Fake tickets and potentially stuff in the log are an almost guaranteed ban when you ever go online with the Switch again. This would mean using checkpoint to backup your save games, restoring a clean NAND, and only then going online. This is a lot of trouble for simply going online. With SX OS I could use XCI just fine without getting banned, as long as I did not go online while using CFW. I didn't have to restore a clean NAND before switching to OFW and going online.

But now, with SD EmuNAND hitting the scene, I have to admit there's no real point in using XCI anymore. I am currently using SD emuNAND and installing NSP's on it, while keeping my real NAND clean. The ban danger is the only reason I wouldn't recommend NSP's.
It's also possible to use your own xci dumps online, if you know what you do, while still having only a low ban risk, I'm doing this since gamecard cert support, which is the only reason I use sxos.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So did June 15th.
They never said that anything would come out on June 15th for sure, they only gave that date because everyone was asking for an ETA.

But the point is, EL2/hypervisor emunand was significantly better than emunand that just uses some patches to redirect shit...

AdamFX990

Confused Humanoid
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Pants to SX! Atmosphere works great atm. I briefly tried ReiNX because I fancied playing with the modules. It is good too. I prefer Atmosphere personally but I have ReiNX on a second SD card just in case :D

Aniblaze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Right now, SX OS is better suited for the average, lazy consumer because it comes neatly packed and ready to use with all features most people will ever need. It doesn’t matter if code has been stolen or payed for. It’s a product for pirates that costs money.

That being said, as history dictates, I have no doubt in my mind that someday open-source community works like Atmosphere will surpass SX OS in everything and become the premier solution for Switch hacks.
I agree with this entirely. People complain they stole code from homebrew developers, while those same people steal code in the form of games themselves. How much of a hypocrite can you be. How can they put TX on blast for stealing code, while they themselves steal code to play for free. Like a pirate being mad at another pirate for stealing stuff from a pirate they like. Good god.

That's not to say people who only use homebrew stuff like running linux on your machine are hypocrites. Only those that pirate games.

Last edited by Aniblaze,

Essasetic

General Spectator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with this entirely. People complain they stole code from homebrew developers, while those same people steal code in the form of games themselves. How much of a hypocrite can you be. How can they put TX on blast for stealing code, while they themselves steal code to play for free. Like a pirate being mad at another pirate for stealing stuff from a pirate they like. Good god.

That's not to say people who only use homebrew stuff like running linux on your machine are hypocrites. Only those that pirate games.
Not every dev/user that calls out TX is a pirate.

Reactions: ZachyCatGames

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada

Devs like SciresM don't code for piracy though, hence the openly available source code. I think everyone just need to chill and shut the fuck up though, because it's not helping the community as a whole. Yeah, you win the argument of which CFW is better, but then you lose half your community (devs and users alike).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol