58 year-old granny sentenced for filesharing

Stewy12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
58 year-old Scottish grandmother sentenced to three years probation for illegal filesharing

QUOTE said:
A 58-year-old grandmother has become the first person in Scotland to be convicted of illegal music downloading.

Anne Muir, a nurse from Ayr, was on Tuesday sentenced to three years' probation after she admitted downloading and sharing more than 30,000 music files – worth an estimated £54,000.

Muir was caught downloading the tracks after an investigation by two music trade bodies, British Phonographic Industry (BPI) and the International Federation for the Phonographic Industry (IFPI).

Strathclyde police searched Muir's Ayrshire home following a formal complaint from the two music bodies. Muir was arrested after the police found computer equipment that contained 7,493 digital music files and 24,243 karaoke files.

Muir pleaded guilty to breaching the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1998 in a hearing at Ayr Sherriff Court earlier this month.

However, lawyers acting for the grandmother of eight argued that she had not intended to download the music for financial gain, but to build up her self-esteem after suffering from depression. Muir will receive psychiatric counselling as part of her sentence.

According to research by Harris Interactive, about 1.2bn music tracks were illegally downloaded in the UK last year. The BPI estimates that those would have cost £984m if bought via retail sources, though it did not put a figure on how many sales were actually lost – that is, how many people who downloaded the tracks would have bought them instead.

The BPI and IFPI investigation into Muir began in 2008, when the music industry was pursuing an aggressive campaign to track down and punish alleged illegal downloaders.

The music trade bodies have since largely abandoned pursuing individual filesharers, focusing instead on lobbying governments on the issue.

A BPI spokesman said: "Today the court has recognised that illegal filesharing on a massive scale is a serious matter and has imposed a sentence aimed at preventing such behaviour in future. We would like to thank the Strathclyde police and the procurator fiscal service in Ayr for their diligent work on this investigation."

However, Loz Kaye, the leader of the UK Pirate Party, said he was "hugely dismayed" by Muir's "disproportionate sentence". He added: "The evidence should have been properly tested in court. It seems now there is a pattern of rights holders targeting vulnerable people to score quick wins for publicity."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/...years-probation

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
LOL! She's 58!

At least give her a lesser fine...
frown.gif

EDIT: come to think of it, she isn't even considered a 'senior citizen'... I take back what i just said.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Stewy12 said:
The BPI estimates that those would have cost £984m if bought via retail sources, though it did not put a figure on how many sales were actually lost – that is, how many people who downloaded the tracks would have bought them instead.
This is good. It's nice to see agencies in other countries like this aren't propaganda machines.

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
♪It doesn't matter if you're a grandma or a...seven year-old girl...♫

Seriously, though, this is absolutely awful. Have these businessmen and women no souls?

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
say wut again? Sentence a 58 year old for sharing music... And that fine is insane... why do this to a older women.. Ofc, take the weaker people, dear people of the government, good job on pestering the elderly while there is 80% of youth downloading music.. if you want to get rid of it, take the fight to the ones who do it regulary, not the elderly.. Simply saaaaad

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't understand why a load of you people are complaining she is being sentenced. You think she should be allowed to break the law because she is old? That makes no sense.

"Excuse me ma'am, why did you murder this man?"
"Well, officer, you see I'm 58"
"Oh well alright then. Safe home"

Age doesn't excuse crime. If anything, it's worse because she should know better by that age.

EDIT: boktor666: "take the fight to the ones who do it regularly" - did you READ how much she had downloaded?

damedus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
I don't understand why a load of you people are complaining she is being sentenced. You think she should be allowed to break the law because she is old? That makes no sense.

"Excuse me ma'am, why did you murder this man?"
"Well, officer, you see I'm 58"
"Oh well alright then. Safe home"

Age doesn't excuse crime. If anything, it's worse because she should know better by that age.

EDIT: boktor666: "take the fight to the ones who do it regularly" - did you READ how much she had downloaded?
not that many really lol im sure tons of ppl have more than that.
But the deal is sites like the ones for certain karaoke software give you the video pack with the song/video and karaoke file and its not piracy because they created the file(although the file includes the copyrighted materials) and all is released under a open license. So I think its stupid to arrest people from file shares which just happen to have the same exact files. Its like telling me they arrest a person for having a flash cart full of games but if the cart is just a counterfeit on eBay its fine and they dont prosecute the seller cause its 1 cart yet the one with the flash cart was never probably buying any of those games anyways (no sale loss) while the counterfeit was attempting to buy a legit card(sales loss).

on a side note if companies say MP3's share is illegal why dont they go after the software that legally allows you to rip the cds in the first place, I mean they are making profit from selling it( the pay ones) If a company sells a MP3 they shouldn't be able to sue anyone for making a MP3 out of his bought cd and sharing it. it has the same content but the made one comes from a CD which you're legally entitled to lend, and I can make a copy of my cd and lend it that shouldn't be a big deal. Or they expect you to buy a Ipod and then .99cent every song you put in it, come on that's BS.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
To be fair with normal crimes this is true because they're obviously bad, but with piracy not so much. I run into people all the time who download music and don't know it's illegal. All they know is that they can google for "song free download" and get it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill