Homebrew WIP 4NXCI Open-Source *.XCI to *.NSP Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

lavatar

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I tried today, after the first problem with converting games which cause after installation on switch a error, and it worked with Fire Emblem Warriors with the latest ReinX Files on 5.1.0.

Great Work, thx!

Reactions: The-4n

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you can please test other games, but don't bother yourself if it's trouble for you for any reason
Ok, I get the same error code without the hex edited kernel on everything else I've tried so far. Happy Birthdays, MUSYNX, and the Seiken Densetsu Collection (聖剣伝説COLLECTION). Immediate fail to install with that error. Seiken Densetsu may not have converted correctly (will test it with the hex edited kernel in a moment.)

EDIT: Ok, Seiken Densetsu Collection did not convert correctly. It produced a 173MB NSP file for a game with a nearly 2GB XCI, so I was pretty suspicious. The other two games will install and play with the hex edited kernel but neither will install or run without that edited kernel.

Last edited by Nazosan,

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I had tried to use 4nxci to convert Code of Princess EX, and after about 1 minute, the program crashes. Just wanted to make sure that it was brought to the attention of @The-4n (I can PM a screenshot if needed)

The-4n

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I had tried to use 4nxci to convert Code of Princess EX, and after about 1 minute, the program crashes. Just wanted to make sure that it was brought to the attention of @The-4n (I can PM a screenshot if needed)

i appreciate if you can make a log from cmd output
use > log.txt at the end of the command or run the program from cmd and make a screenshot

Reactions: Vorde and tiliarou

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hey can anyone compile the 0.4 version for mac i'm having issues installing dkp-pacman in sierra
I posted alpha 4 already in this thread, but here's the latest alpha 5.

FWIW you shouldn't need devkit pro etc to build this, as it's not homebrew that runs on the Switch. You need Apple's XCode tools installed to build a Mac version.

Attachments

• 4nxci-v0.9-alpha.5_macos.zip
    93.1 KB · Views: 258

alkar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried alpha 5 (didn't try previous ones) on Flashback and Tennis World Tour, works fine (SXOS, installed NSP using DevMenu). Great app, thanks!

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He said it would, but I still needed the hex edited FS.kip (kernel) to be able to install or run the NSPs from these. They do work in CFWs like ReiNX with that. If you look back a bit someone explains what bytes to change from what to what for the 5.x kernel (4.x is different, sorry.)

Dean_

Trophies
XP
Country
He said it would, but I still needed the hex edited FS.kip (kernel) to be able to install or run the NSPs from these. They do work in CFWs like ReiNX with that. If you look back a bit someone explains what bytes to change from what to what for the 5.x kernel (4.x is different, sorry.)

I converted many games and those are running well on RajNX, sig-patched hekate, etc. Of course, I didn't use any additional NCA/ACID sig patch you mentioned.

Onsonj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I converted a Wild Guns XCI that was right around 2gb last night. It came out to only 395mb as a nsp. I didn’t get a chance to copy it over to the switch to install it but does that seem right? I would have expected them to be at least a little more similar in size.

OperationNT

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Untrimmed XCI have size of 2, 4, 8, 16 or 32 GB because they represent a full cartridge. Howerver, it doesn't mean that the game take the full cartridge space.

Reactions: Vorde

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Untrimmed XCI have size of 2, 4, 8, 16 or 32 GB because they represent a full cartridge. Howerver, it doesn't mean that the game take the full cartridge space.
They tend to "pad out" the rest of the space offered on the chip. That's why back in the day, there were a lot of Sega Dreamcast games that could fit onto a regular CD once the dummy/padding files were removed. Developers tend to fill up the entire media

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Untrimmed XCI have size of 2, 4, 8, 16 or 32 GB because they represent a full cartridge. However, it doesn't mean that the game take the full cartridge space.

And that is the reason why NSP is ultimately better than XCI because even trimmed XCI don't equate the size of the NSP.
Honestly I cannot thank enough the creator of this tool! They've done an amazing job!

Onsonj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you everyone for the information, I was unaware of the xci file sizes and filling in with blank information. It makes so much more sense now.

Reactions: Xyphoseos

FierceDeityLinkMask

GbaTemp's Official Deity
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is extremely useful for me right now. Xenoblade 2 xci "backup" is huge, so converting it and getting it off my SD and just installing it helps a lot. I did not want to go through the hassle of attaining the nsp.

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They tend to "pad out" the rest of the space offered on the chip. That's why back in the day, there were a lot of Sega Dreamcast games that could fit onto a regular CD once the dummy/padding files were removed. Developers tend to fill up the entire media
Not really. A ROM image of a ROM chip is an actual image of a chip and a chip must be a specific size. Therefore an image will include the unused area too. Some Dreamcast games used padding to physically move the data outward where the laser would read it faster for better load times and etc, but images would only include the actual used areas due to working differently.

And that is the reason why NSP is ultimately better than XCI because even trimmed XCI don't equate the size of the NSP.

Honestly I cannot thank enough the creator of this tool! They've done an amazing job!
They should be pretty close to a trimmed XCI since it basically just has to include whatever data there actually is. NSPs do have the disadvantage of temporarily requiring double space (which is quite a problem with the larger games) since they have to be on there while you install. I'd say the real advantage is plain and simple the fact that they actually properly install to your system. This makes organization and usage a little easier already. Hopefully someday very soon we'll also get organizational abilities by way of folders and such like the 3DS did (it blew me away really that the Switch didn't ship with that already. I don't know what they're waiting on.) Running a XCI through Rommenu or whatever will always mean more hoops to jump through and less organization.

I converted a Wild Guns XCI that was right around 2gb last night. It came out to only 395mb as a nsp. I didn’t get a chance to copy it over to the switch to install it but does that seem right? I would have expected them to be at least a little more similar in size.
That is suspiciously small. There are ROM sizes smaller than 2GB, so chances are this is another one that failed. Well, you won't know until after you install and then try it I guess.

I converted many games and those are running well on RajNX, sig-patched hekate, etc. Of course, I didn't use any additional NCA/ACID sig patch you mentioned.
Doesn't RajNX use its own extra patching? I'll admit I'm using the CTCaer mod version of Hekate (which as far as I know is the closes there is to a "stock" Hekate at this point in time now as the original no longer seems to be updated anymore) but to my knowledge it includes signature patching stuff already and more importantly ReiNX is supposed to be doing signature patching on its own anyway I think? But the "ACID" patch seems to be much more extreme, so I'm not as sure about it being included in ReiNX by default. However, someone else says they're using ReiNX without the hex edited kernel? Maybe there is extra patching done by the loader itself that the CTCaer mod doesn't do. I don't know if I want to use an older version of Hekate just for that though. I plan to go to SwitchMe if/when it ever ships and I need something at least semi-permanent to put on it that can do everything rather than something very specific and narrow.

Reactions: Vorde
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did see Walmart got new electric scooters now ab won't run out of juice in the middle of the parking lot
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:O:O $12. Cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but one two ports
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd rather spend like $15 more for double
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol hogwarts legacy has a Arachnophobia setting to turn on
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced