Homebrew 3DSThem.es - Your new destination for custom 3DS themes

Status
Not open for further replies.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not sure what people have against ads. The ones on the site aren't intrusive nor have any sources that set off my malware filter, so it should be fine to just add the site to your whitelists. Otherwise, 3dsthem.es is just a free service. If you want that service to stick around, it doesn't hurt to let it use the minuscule amount of resources needed to load the ads.

Now if the ads had pop-ups, audio, video, or used adfly, then I'd understand. The ads on the site are about as inoffensive as it gets.

So he doesn't allow any ads that use flash or java? I assume you have tested this with flash set to always play, right?

Last edited by nl255,

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot to mention that when I got that virus I had my malware filer enabled. It didn't do anything.
You should probably look into something that does active scanning. You're always at risk going online, filtering out ads might help but won't make you entirely safe. You could go as far as disabling all javascript but you'd still have some small risks.

I'm using two filters (one through AdBlock Plus and another through OpenDNS) and everything downloaded/torrented automatically gets ran through clamscan. all my systems are currently running Mint 17.3 and I haven't run into anything malicious yet with this setup. I also go to some questionable places on the internet. Though, it's not impossible, that's partially why I backup weekly to a detached HDD.
So he doesn't allow any ads that use flash or java?
Not sure, I don't have flash installed or a java plugin. I haven't noticed any ads demanding those, though.

Last edited by TecXero,

IanRises

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should probably look into something that does active scanning. You're always at risk going online, filtering out ads might help but won't make you entirely safe. You could go as far as disabling all javascript but you'd still have some small risks.

I'm using two filters (one through AdBlock Plus and another through OpenDNS) and everything downloaded/torrented automatically gets ran through clamscan. all my systems are currently running Mint 17.3 and I haven't run into anything malicious yet with this setup. I also go to some questionable places on the internet. Though, it's not impossible, that's partially why I backup weekly to a detached HDD.

Not sure, I don't have flash installed or a java plugin. I haven't noticed any ads demanding those, though.

I did have an antivirus with active scanning.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
What they have against ads are the viruses they tend to install. I've gotten a virus from one before and they only thing that protected be from having that happen again was pulling the battery out of my laptop before it could download one.

That is why you set up something like Lubuntu in virtualbox and use that for sites that don't allow ad blockers. Just do a minimal 64 bit Lubuntu install and then install firefox and
browser-plugin-freshplayer-pepperflash and then run the update pepperflash script. Or you prefer you can install Chrome in the VM.

That is what virtualbox is for.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did have an antivirus with active scanning.
Okay. Still, if you want to be completely safe, you should probably just disconnect your modem and turn off your wifi radio. My point being is that shit can happen online, that's just a risk you have to accept going online. You should definitely take precautions, but going as far as disabling all ads seems a bit far and misplaced. Lock down your setup the best you can and make it a habit of backing up. I can't make you whitelist sites, but sites you like you probably should if you want to see them stick around.
That is what virtualbox is for.
That works too, for the most part.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Okay. Still, if you want to be completely safe, you should probably just disconnect your modem and turn off your wifi radio. My point being is that shit can happen online, that's just a risk you have to accept going online. You should definitely take precautions, but going as far as disabling all ads seems a bit far and misplaced. Lock down your setup the best you can and make it a habit of backing up. I can't make you whitelist sites, but sites you like you probably should if you want to see them stick around.

That works too, for the most part.

Also, disabling/removing flash is a form of ad blocking. The reason flash ads are used in the first place is that they pay more. Sometimes quite a bit more.

mutinize

dazed and confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty stupid that you try to block adblock, especially since it can easily be circumvented.

Oh well, block a majority of your userbase and be shocked when the site dies because they go elsewhere. What else is new.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're starting to take it much too far.

The site in itself is blocking any and every single script that disables adblock that you can, just to make a quick buck.
Thing is the amount of users don't even care about adblock - and if you put up a simple "please disable adblock it'd help us a lot" message under the blocked ad instead of blocking the site completely, most users would. No need to block EVERYTHING.
Not to mention you're not letting people circumvent stuff on a site about circumventing the 3DS. How hypocritical is that? Same thing happened to Sonic 2 HD... and then it died too... Well, until it got rebooted with a different engine, but still...

Point is, this is a horrible move.

Reactions: Emenaria

usagirei

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
At everybody defending ads: it's not about the ads.
It's about his stance on the matter.

Me personally, wouldn't mind if it weren't a fucking obnoxious red box, ux design is a thing.
Oh wait it's not a red box anymore. It's literally nothing, it erases the fucking page content.

And No I'm not disabling my adblock, because even if i did i cant get in since ghostery blocks projectsomething as a tracker. And apparently protecting your privacy is bad too.

Last edited by usagirei,

IanRises

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone remember what happened to Sonic 2 HD? That's pretty much what's happening to this site.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're starting to take it much too far.

The site in itself is blocking any and every single script that disables adblock that you can, just to make a quick buck.
That I'm not entirely sure about. I used to manage a site for a client a few years ago and the CPM was less than a dollar. 3dsthem.es probably has a better deal, but it wouldn't surprise me if MarioErmando still has to pay out of pocket. I could be completely wrong. I'm just saying don't expect anyone doing this kind of stuff actually making a quick buck. My guess, which I'm completely pulling this guess out of my ass since I don't know his situation, is he's a younger guy so he doesn't have a stable income and is making a desperate move to try to continue being able to afford the site.

AdmiralToucan

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No one wants to click on shitty ads and you aren't entitled to get paid for something you didn't make. I'd rather donate to the guy who makes actual good themes. I hate ads because most of them link to spyware+malware and the website itself is becoming spyware due to greed, so I'm out.

Reactions: CeeDee and Emenaria

Temarile

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No one wants to click on shitty ads and you aren't entitled to get paid for something you didn't make. I'd rather donate to the guy who makes actual good themes. I hate ads because most of them link to spyware+malware and the website itself is becoming spyware due to greed, so I'm out.

Yeah, I agree with this. I could never have said it better.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ULuIH.png

Now that's what I'm talking about- next time I get my prepaid refilled I'll send 20$ your way.

Reactions: CeeDee

Boured

A Dusk Lycanroc who cares a lot about people.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love this site and posting themes on it, makes me feel like I can make art that isn't 5 year old using MS Paint 98 quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Something about family guy
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it has the auto captions
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But the captions are in english, I only speak Ebonics
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i made myself a pizza today, that shit was mid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, atleast it wasnt that bad
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but i can't let a mediocre pizza bring me down, just around this time last month i made that cheesecake
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What does pizza and sex have in common? When its good, its good. But when its bad, its still pretty good.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know burnt pizza can be pretty bad
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    gonna download sonic generations to my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    How do you put games on there? Does it have like a game store on the ps3?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black market store
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, download a pkg file, put it in a usb or a sd card, put the usb or sd card to ps3, turn on ps3hen, go to install game, install the game
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok yea that's same with me, was just curious. Coolio
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao my keyboard decided to randomly die
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its prob your new router interfering w it