Hacking 3DS unbricking progress

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
good news :)
i was actually thinking SPI would probs be left in, often when revisions come out its just the guidelines changed, but manufacturers don't just rush to remove the code, takes a while for features to be removed once they are no longer required by the specs

khalaan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For anyone attempting the wiring, I still used an sd card with a seeed sd shield with a Duemilanove board (328P) as many newer boards only allow SPI over the ICSP pins.

khalaan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If only in my case (though I did finish testing after the following tragic bit), during the fixing of my clk connection I accidentally ripped the DS card reader off my wife's motherboard (dropped the motherboard while cooling the bond) so I just replaced it with a new one 20m ago.

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If only in my case (though I did finish testing after the following tragic bit), during the fixing of my clk connection I accidentally ripped the DS card reader off my wife's motherboard (dropped the motherboard while cooling the bond) so I just replaced it with a new one 20m ago.

lucky you, I accidentally destroyed a resistor array. :P

khalaan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pin 1

pin_out_SD.jpg

Moquedami

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Thanks! I´m gonna try this fix
krisztian1997, could you please give some instructions for those of us who have never used an Arduino before?
Not an extensive tutorial, just a few directions in how to setup the Arduino to run your code.

helpwith3ds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
maybe gateway will release a way to generate the passwords since they 'can read an 3ds like a book', be patient for now, so far only one 3ds got unbricked and the code is not really tested (mine or bkifft's)
Thanks. I suppose that is what I was getting at. If gateway assists those with clones to unbrick (whether it was a key to generate the unlock password, generic nand, whatever the solution) in exchange for purchasing a gateway, it would make people like me happy. Only time will tell I guess.

khalaan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so you first want to install the arduino development application in windows (I assume windows for most users) then start the development IDE (then close it immediately) and create the following folder structure (using Win8.1 here so if you are on XP replace Users with Documents and Settings) C:\Users\Michael\Documents\Arduino\libraries\sd_raw_roland and copy everything except sd_testy.ino into that folder. After you've done this you can double click on sd_testy.ino, follow its prompts about creating directories. You will want to step through configuring your Arduino IDE for your device (http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/Windows#toc7), then you can click File> Upload - this will upload your device to your arduino. Assuming you have all of your connections made the Arduino will reboot and execute the code.

Moquedami

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Ah! One more thing, the code says:
set this to 1 if you want to erase the card, 0 if you want to set the password, 2 if you want to unlock

In theory I should erase to recover the console from the brick right?

ryuga93

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
set this to 1 if you want to erase the card, 0 if you want to set the password, 2 if you want to unlock

Yes,and you need to have NAND backup in hand first.once we obtain the password,we can use option 2 to unlock instead of erase

krisztian1997

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania

There is a menu which shows up now if you watch the serial monitor, use that... AND DONT FORGET ABOUT VOLTAGE DIVIDERS

philroy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So far as I understand there is no way at mo to un brick your 3ds without a backup NAND if this is so my question to this forum is will you ever be able to un brick it if not can you purchase the bits to get it working again even if you can't use it with a cart and if so is it economically to do so

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So far as I understand there is no way at mo to un brick your 3ds without a backup NAND if this is so my question to this forum is will you ever be able to un brick it if not can you purchase the bits to get it working again even if you can't use it with a cart and if so is it economically to do so
To unbrick it on your own, you'll need a backup of your NAND. No way around that.

But yes, your other option is to buy a new 3DS motherboard, which will run you about $50. You'll still to know how to install hardware/hard mods in order to replace it, obviously.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BigOnYa series S is the way to go, its a bargain for a capable system