Hacking 3DS unbricking progress

ground

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It is possible that the code to prevent accidental sysnand update was placed in as a function originally intended to be run through a menu icon so that the user could decide when to run it.

When the function started causing bricking issues they may just have removed the menu option and either accidentally or intentionally left the function in.

One can theorize that the code was left in just in case a sysnand update was started which would then trigger the function in ordered to try to block the update. Assuming this is the case, a rare bug could trigger a false positive which activates the function and causes the brick.

This theory should be an easy one to test for someone who has already bricked their console once and successfully repaired it. Just run a system update and if it bricks, we have our culprit. If it doesn't they can just restore and we have eliminated the possibility.

The function could also have simply been left in as dead code though. Programmers do that kind of thing frequently when they are time pressured to release before they are ready. Instead of cleaning up all the code, they just disable it so they don't waste time cleaning up code for the release, knowing full well that they will need to put it back in for the next release. In this case though some rare bug might trigger the function to run anyway even though the programmers believe there is no way the function can be coaxed into running.
in mine opinion this is a good probability too.I know a few guys already said they found the bricking code, but i dont know how far. Did they find also the triggering or only the part that locks the emmc?

crazyace2011

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope someone will find a way to unlock it instead of having to force erase and then write the backup nand.

have to be careful on my comments we have people grading my typing. anyway............

at least they have a way of unbricking a 3ds without sending it to gateway. its a step in the right directions. I give them props for their discovery and hard work.

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
have to be careful on my comments we have people grading my typing. anyway............

at least they have a way of unbricking a 3ds without sending it to gateway. its a step in the right directions. I give them props for their discovery and hard work.

Don't worry about the mistakes man ... as soon as people understand.

crazyace2011

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol krisztian1997

krisztian1997,

I went back with gateway launcher 2.02b figured if it gets bricked ill just buy another 3ds and use the bricked one as a experiment

krisztian1997

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
No way to recover withouy backup for now, lets hope that someone who has acces to an 4.5 console and some experience help us generate the passwords

DAHU75

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Great news

Many thanks for your tools

just for raspeberry

i have only distrib with linux boot on SD

you talk that : Do not run this tool with a kernel that has the MMC/SD subsystem enabled!

where d/l a image for that ?

krisztian1997

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Great news

Many thanks for your tools

just for raspeberry

i have only distrib with linux boot on SD

you talk that : Do not run this tool with a kernel that has the MMC/SD subsystem enabled!

where d/l a image for that ?

Make your own kernel or wait untill bkiff cleans his code and releases his kernel too

DAHU75

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ok thanks for the reply

i'm waiting for bkifft , i have no experience in raspeberry , only for multimedia player xbmc

krisztian1997

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
arduino is easier but my code was never tested, so go for the raspi. bkifft is making a small linux with a custom kernel for unbricking... so its gonna be easyer to use that instead of arduino

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?