Hacking 3DS unbricking progress

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have both Raspberry and Arduino.
What's is easier to use for this little project? I mean, what will need less parts or mods?

Thanks!

for the arduino you need a fifth wire for the HW mod (which shouldn't be a deciding factor if the 3DS isn't already modded as soldering it in while the 3DS is already open will take about 5 seconds).

the raspberry pi needs an sdcard, an usb stick and needs to be used either over ssh or with a hdmi monitor/tv and usb keyboard (for which you will need an usb hub too if you got a raspberry rev A with only one usb port).

so the pi is only favorable if the 3DS is already modded using the 4 wire method and you don't want to open it up again.

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
for the arduino you need a fifth wire for the HW mod (which shouldn't be a deciding factor if the 3DS isn't already modded as soldering it in while the 3DS is already open will take about 5 seconds).

the raspberry pi needs an sdcard, an usb stick and needs to be used either over ssh or with a hdmi monitor/tv and usb keyboard (for which you will need an usb hub too if you got a raspberry rev A with only one usb port).

so the pi is only favorable if the 3DS is already modded using the 4 wire method and you don't want to open it up again.

Well, I don't really bother opening the 3DS do do any more wires as it's the easier :) What I'm looking for is a easier way with less effort. By effort I mean less parts needed (not counting the 3DS and the arduino/raspberry), considering that I have one the Arduino UNO and a Raspberry Pi rev B (512Mb and 2 USBs).

Thanks!

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Adding to the last post: I only have this: arduino, raspberry, an SD to USB reader and a SD cable (modded) I use to read/write the NANDs.
I'll have to get the other needed parts, if there are any others.

That's why I'm looking for a "less effort" alternative.

Thx!

krisztian1997

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
For raspi you only need a custom kernel, an sd card and a usb drive, for the arduino you will need the SD card shield and a 5th wire, but because no one tested our code (made by me and ryuga), I am not sure if my code can unbrick an 3ds...

crazyace2011

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For raspi you only need a custom kernel, an sd card and a usb drive, for the arduino you will need the SD card shield and a 5th wire, but because no one tested our code (made by me and ryuga), I am not sure if my code can unbrick an 3ds...

don't say that im sure your code is just as effective as bkifft you just need a test subject.

Reactions: bkifft

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil

krisztian1997
I can test your Arduino code but I'll need your advise on how to create a divider and put up everything needed.
I already contacted my customers with bricked consoles and as soon as they arrive, if test subjects are already needed, I let you guys know.

Cheers

krisztian1997

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
krisztian1997
I can test your Arduino code but I'll need your advise on how to create a divider and put up everything needed.
I already contacted my customers with bricked consoles and as soon as they arrive, if test subjects are already needed, I let you guys know.

Cheers

You can make a divider using the schematics what I posted in the first post, or get an SD shield which already does that and its much easier to work with it.

R4iFanboi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More than $2000 was collected for 3DS decapping and we all know what happened of it.

These guys are like heroes, let's forget the arguement of piracy and morality for a moment. They helped us fix our broken handhelds (A big ,|,, to Gateway team). Shouldn't the community reward them for it?

They didn't release any teasing pictures (We unbricked it first, but won't release it, you pirates learn a lesson blah blah!) they didn't release any videos but straight away coded a solution.

We could do something for them, atleast buy them good equipments to help their hobby of coding/programming/hacking?

Reactions: kactusss and Ennea

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
More than $2000 was collected for 3DS decapping and we all know what happened of it.

These guys are like heroes, let's forget the arguement of piracy and morality for a moment. They helped us fix our broken handhelds (A big ,|,, to Gateway team). Shouldn't the community reward them for it?

They didn't release any teasing pictures (We unbricked it first, but won't release it, you pirates learn a lesson blah blah!) they didn't release any videos but straight away coded a solution.

We could do something for them, atleast buy them good equipments to help their hobby of coding/programming/hacking?

Well, i could use a second 3DS for tinkering purposes but that would be way to much to ask (also I'd prefer to stay as anonymous as possible).

That being said: to show your appreciation you would just need to fulfill the request I stated in my project description over at github ;)

edit: If someone would happen to stumble over amazon.de gift certificates or paysafe card codes I wouldn't reject them. But a cat an email with an attachment as requested is fine too.

helpwith3ds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I bought an R4i deluxe (unaware at the time that it was a direct clone of Gateway) and got bricked without a nand dump. Only discovered gbatemp after blue screen. Its great that you guys can now unbrick the majority of systems. For the few of us without a nand dump and clones, i wonder if gateway would agree to release the unbrick password if we were to purchase a gateway card. What have they got to lose (perhaps they are admitting to the brick code by doing it but isn't obvious already)? I'm not angry I just want my working 3ds back and would be willing to purchase a Gateway card to do that (don't really want to send my 3ds overseas cause of the extra cost in shipping and time that it will take).

krisztian1997

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I bought an R4i deluxe (unaware at the time that it was a direct clone of Gateway) and got bricked without a nand dump. Only discovered gbatemp after blue screen. Its great that you guys can now unbrick the majority of systems. For the few of us without a nand dump and clones, i wonder if gateway would agree to release the unbrick password if we were to purchase a gateway card. What have they got to lose (perhaps they are admitting to the brick code by doing it but isn't obvious already)? I'm not angry I just want my working 3ds back and would be willing to purchase a Gateway card to do that (don't really want to send my 3ds overseas cause of the extra cost in shipping and time that it will take).

They cant release the password, it was metioned a lot of times that the internal AES engine is used with a secret key and you cant generate the password yourself without that key and an exploit to can use the internal AES engine.

helpwith3ds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
They cant release the password, it was metioned a lot of times that the internal AES engine is used with a secret key and you cant generate the password yourself without that key and an exploit to can use the internal AES engine.
Ok, thanks Krisztian1997. Guess there's not much hope outside of being to flash a generic hacked nand if one ever becomes available?

krisztian1997

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Ok, thanks Krisztian1997. Guess there's not much hope outside of being to flash a generic hacked nand if one ever becomes available?

maybe gateway will release a way to generate the passwords since they 'can read an 3ds like a book', be patient for now, so far only one 3ds got unbricked and the code is not really tested (mine or bkifft's)

khalaan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Krisztian1997's code theoretically works. I now show my wife's (broken) 3ds as Unlocked. Unfortunately her new one is 3.0.0 so I have to figure out what I want to buy to get her up to 4.5.0 again.

krisztian1997

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Krisztian1997's code theoretically works. I now show my wife's (broken) 3ds as Unlocked. Unfortunately her new one is 3.0.0 so I have to figure out what I want to buy to get her up to 4.5.0 again.

You sucesfully unlocked your 3ds with my code ? If my code works... THATS SO COOL :3 (and that means... our idea with one button unbricker is posible)

khalaan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I can't boot it because of the part I mentioned in PM, but the NAND is reporting as unlocked now and I could flash to it in linux.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F