Gaming 3DS Sound Editing: 8-Bit sounds like absolute trash.

  • Thread starter Thread starter sonknuck23
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 5,573
  • Replies Replies 14

sonknuck23

Mighty Switch Force >
Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2008
Messages
849
Reaction score
3
Trophies
1
Age
35
Location
Montreal, Quebec
XP
495
Country
Canada
Did anyone try using that 8-Bit sound effect for music on the 3DS? It sounds like crap, I really don't know if it's supposed to sound that awful or not. Maybe I'm using the wrong songs? I've tried hip-hop, pop, metal, hard-core, soft rock, indie, and they all still sounds like random buttons in a lab being mashed by un-trained monkeys.

Have any of you had any luck with the 8-bit sound producing something that even sounds remotely close to the real song?
 
same here. it doesnt produce music close to the original. i don't use it anyways. (maybe only the bird effect, lolz)
but i sometimes play with the Drums, or animal sounds, woohoos, cymbals etc using L/R..
i love the visualizations. im sure down the road we will get more visualizations by devs/nintendo.
 
machomuu said:
It was the same for the DSi, I wish they could have done it better like some midi to 8-bit programs do.
There's a huge difference between midi (which is a file denoting a bunch of notes and what instruments to play with them, rather like tracked music such as XM but using an external bank of instruments) and streaming music (like MP3s and AAC...these are compressed audio formats that are decompressed into memory and played directly. Might be a bad description, but the point is they don't specify specifically what instruments/notes are being played like MIDI does). There's no way you could apply what GXSCC does to MIDI files with streaming music files.
 
9th_Sage said:
machomuu said:
It was the same for the DSi, I wish they could have done it better like some midi to 8-bit programs do.
There's a huge difference between midi (which is a file denoting a bunch of notes and what instruments to play with them, rather like tracked music such as XM but using an external bank of instruments) and streaming music (like MP3s and AAC...these are compressed audio formats that are decompressed into memory and played directly. Might be a bad description, but the point is they don't specify specifically what instruments/notes are being played like MIDI does). There's no way you could apply what GXSCC does to MIDI files to streaming music files.
I know the difference between an mp3/AAC and a MIDI, that was just a comparison. My point is they should have put more effort into the 8-bit music feature, even if it is a small side-feature.
 
machomuu said:
I know the difference between an mp3/AAC and a MIDI, that was just a comparison. My point is they should have put more effort into the 8-bit music feature, even if it is a small side-feature.
If you know the difference, then you know why it would probably never sound as good as the programs that do this with a MIDI file. Just saying. I think all I was meaning to say was that it would be monumentally difficult to get it sounding as good as that, if it's even possible (I don't really think it would be).
 
I think it will get better with an update. If you notice when you click get to the screen with the options to change to 8-bit is greyed out - I believe its a WIP for Nintendo, like their Web Browser, eShop, system transfer and many more titles. It works on some of my songs, not very well but still its a start. I was able to get some output using songs with very deep sounds, again not at all perfect but a starting point.

Notice how the grey option corresponds with the 8-bit option while all the other options are always white.

3dsound.png


It looks off to me that they put the 8-bit conversion icon as grey, usually it symbolizes an unusable/WIP feature in some homebrew I've played.

Anyways I thought I'd give my input.
 
Why don't they simply allow Midi playback? Got such a uge database full of Midi-songs, but I still have to play them in Moonshell... :U

Does the 3DS finally allow mp3 playback at all? Haven't tried it, as my music is in AAC format anyway.
 
I've tried it as well, and it always sounds awful no matter what type of song I'm playing (I've tried many different songs). :/
 
I tried it, and I'm a little fond of it lol. It reminds me of actually listening to some original Gameboy tracks from years ago, games like Kirby, and Tetris had options to play sound effects and music in their options for the levels, and it reproduces this 'sound' very faithfully. I was one of the sad people that would play these through my earphones and really appreciate the music and sound lol.

It doesn't get most tracks right, because of the details in MP3's it tries to reproduce, but I found a couple of modern songs where it 'gets it' in the melody. I think this is one for nostalgic fans only
 
Only Mp3 I tried was un owen was her, didn't think the 8bit would work to well, and unsurprisingly it didn't.

Don't plan on using the sound player much anyway, so meh.
 
@jpxdude: I couldn't have said it better. That's exactly what I've been trying to say all day but I could never get it right in my mind. lol
QUOTE said:
You can't close the lid if your playing music, it just goes into sleep mode. Even if your using earphones.
Hmm... but I have personally tried this and it in fact does still play with headphones. :\
 

Site & Scene News