3DS Sales Surge By 260% In US After Price Drop

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
From poo sales to standard sales. Congrats Nintendo, you priced it well enough to actually be active in the market. Also, look at the DS still pushing 165k sales, even after the 3DS went down in price. That is still one popular predecessor, even if the sales are dropping by the month.

Question; any possible reasons come to mind?

Feels Good Man

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Nathan Drake said:
From poo sales to standard sales. Congrats Nintendo, you priced it well enough to actually be active in the market. Also, look at the DS still pushing 165k sales, even after the 3DS went down in price. That is still one popular predecessor, even if the sales are dropping by the month.

Obviously. Look at the game library compared to the other. One had several years to get that while one is just starting.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Feels Good Man said:
Nathan Drake said:

Obviously. Look at the game library compared to the other. One had several years to get that while one is just starting.

Don't make me laugh, it's backwards compatible.

Anyone want to try again?

Feels Good Man

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Zetta_x said:
Feels Good Man said:
Nathan Drake said:

So you'd buy a new device for $50 more so you can play DS games? People would choose the cheaper option so they can play their games, not the more expensive option.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Feels Good Man said:
Zetta_x said:
Feels Good Man said:
Nathan Drake said:

So you'd buy a new device for $50 more so you can play DS games? People would choose the cheaper option so they can play their games, not the more expensive option.

Now you are getting somewhere... Because the last post you failed to mention price. You just said game library and how long they have been out.

Top reasons in my opinion:

1) It's more expensive
2) Lower battery life
3) Not enough popularity
4) Not hackable

----

What happened to PS3 sales when it first got exploited?

How do you think the ratio of 3DS and DS sales would change if the 3DS had a working flashcart? Would that extra 50 dollars be worth it then?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zetta_x said:

How do you think the ratio of 3DS and DS sales would change if the 3DS had a working flashcart? Would that extra 50 dollars be worth it then?

I don't think anything significant happened. People like to think that pirates and hackers are a majority of a community. They're not. In the end not a lot of people keep in the loop with piracy stuff unless it's what they're into, and a lot of normal users don't feel like risking their system, safety, or the law just to play some free games.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Zetta_x said:

I don't think anything significant happened. People like to think that pirates and hackers are a majority of a community. They're not. In the end not a lot of people keep in the loop with piracy stuff unless it's what they're into, and a lot of normal users don't feel like risking their system, safety, or the law just to play some free games.

It's true that the ratio of pirates vs non-pirates is pretty small, but I think that's way to simple of looking at it. It's not just pirates and hackers; I realize how someone can get that impression if they use these boards though =P

However, piracy contributes to a lot of popularity of a system. If a system has a lot of popularity, people who are not even pirates will feel more comfortable with their purchases (especially parents trying to find a Christmas/birthday present for their children).

When you go to Best Buy, all you see are main brands. It's not that all the other brands suck, it's because the reputation they have. When the player base for a system increases, it has increased reputation (on average).

In a society where people are influenced mainly by their surroundings; the popularity of a system is more than the amount of pirates vs the amount of non-pirates. Since non-pirates/hackers is far greater then pirates/hackers then that means piracy doesn't do much to the system (bad chain of thought).

---

I was trying to sell my Wii the other day, pretty much 80% of the people that I asked already not only had a wii, but I shit you not, 75% of them had installed some sort of homebrew channel.

----

Going to add in; People send out games to reviewers for free so they can demo the game. Pirates are not the same exact thing, but the ease of access allows for games to be pretty much demoed and posted. I'm not going to lie, I have bought a few games because of a review (may or may not be a pirate who reviewed it).

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zetta_x said:
Feels Good Man said:
Nathan Drake said:

That's an awful argument. Chances are many people kept their DS' and play it on that since they look like crap on the 3DS.

That, and DS Library =/= 3DS library.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Zetta_x said:
Feels Good Man said:
Nathan Drake said:

That's an awful argument. Chances are many people kept their DS' and play it on that since they look like crap on the 3DS.

That's funny because a few of my friends sold their DS to get a 3DS. I have never seen someone, other than these boards, complain how DS games look on their 3DS.

DS Library =/= 3DS library is true

However playable on 3DS = DS library + 3DS Library

---

Just for shits, I borrowed my cousins 3Ds now and played a DS game; you are going to need some evidence backing up "Chances are many people kept their .... look like crap on 3DS." I can't imagine someone actually complaining how this looks, it's a bit stretched, but I honestly can't see a kid or the majority of the people bothering to keep their DS for this reason.

Since we are just adding "Chances are..." to sentences to make them more credible:

Here is mine:

"Chances are" the people who kept their DS either didn't want to get 40-50 bucks from gamestop or trying to find a buyer or have a flash cart they didn't want to risk on their 3ds.

----

Lastly while I am still recovering from my hang-over and in a discussion mood:

The ratio between people who BUY 3Ds and who BUY DS correlates very little to the amount of people who retain their DS when they buy a 3DS. The only correlation between the two is that it may explain the demand for the DS over the 3DS but its a very weak correlation.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zetta_x said:
machomuu said:
Zetta_x said:
Feels Good Man said:
Nathan Drake said:

That's funny because a few of my friends sold their DS to get a 3DS. I have never seen someone, other than these boards, complain how DS games look on their 3DS.

DS Library =/= 3DS library is true

However playable on 3DS = DS library + 3DS Library
But when you think about it, why wouldn't one just buy a DS that can go full screen and isn't at all blurry with the DS games instead? Plus the 3DS has a small library at this point, and thus there's not much of an incentive if one wanted to play DS games.

MasterPenguin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Zetta_x said:

I'd have to agree heavily with this. I sold my DS for a 3DS, and just continued playing my DS games on it when I finished all the 3DS games I had bought. I saw people here posting that DS games look awful, and I was like..... What? If I didn't look at them side by side with my brothers DS, I would never have noticed that it's not as bright. (And really, that's all that's wrong.)

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MasterPenguin said:
Zetta_x said:

I'd have to agree heavily with this. I sold my DS for a 3DS, and just continued playing my DS games on it when I finished all the 3DS games I had bought. I saw people here posting that DS games look awful, and I was like..... What? If I didn't look at them side by side with my brothers DS, I would never have noticed that it's not as bright. (And really, that's all that's wrong.)
I noticed it on my own, and I'm sure many DS users did as well. Even if you're not a DS user and it's your first time playing a DS, it wouldn't be impossible or even that difficult for one to notice.

Also, I'm not talking abut the brightness.

EDIT: Even Nintendo noticed this, is was pretty obvious when creating it due to the differences in resolution, that's why the Native Start + Select mode was created.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have edited my post a number of times. I don't know if it has answered your question.

Honestly I won't buy a 3DS; like you said, the library sucks. Maybe one or two games I would want to play. It costs extra and I pretty much never have bought into the "newest is the best."

Not only that, but it looks like it is getting less attractive to popular developers as the months go by. Then, this is probably my most selfish reason why I won't buy a 3ds:

Currently, if I invest in a 3DS, I will have to invest in 3DS games. I can buy used games for a fraction of a price, but I still feel that games are overpriced (even if they spent a lot of money developing it).

If there is a working flashcard, I will buy a 3DS. It's pretty much a done deal for me.

---

Then this moves towards the discussion that not everyone are pirates so the above doesn't apply to everyone. But if I buy a 3ds, it may influence other people to buy a 3ds even if I don't open advertise it around.

This is pretty much the business of apple stuff, popularity = sales. I cry everytime someone buys a mac for a couple thousands dollars

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zetta_x said:
So I have edited my post a number of times. I don't know if it has answered your question.

Honestly I won't buy a 3DS; like you said, the library sucks. Maybe one or two games I would want to play. It costs extra and I pretty much never have bought into the "newest is the best."
I never said the library sucks, nor do I think it does.

Not only that, but it looks like it is getting less attractive to popular developers as the months go by.
...Why? It will only get more popular as the announced games come out.

D

Deleted User

Zetta_x said:

Not only that, but it looks like it is getting less attractive to popular developers as the months go by. Then, this is probably my most selfish reason why I won't buy a 3ds:

Currently, if I invest in a 3DS, I will have to invest in 3DS games. I can buy used games for a fraction of a price, but I still feel that games are overpriced (even if they spent a lot of money developing it).

If there is a working flashcard, I will buy a 3DS. It's pretty much a done deal for me.
This is one of the reasons I bought my 3DS. But, it's better to buy it EARLIER than LATER.
Source: Wiis- new ones with D3-2 drives, and more difficult to tinker with and softmod. Better buy them earlier and get more for your flashcard.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tigris said:
Zetta_x said:

This is one of the reasons I bought my 3DS. But, it's better to buy it EARLIER than LATER.
Source: Wiis- new ones with D3-2 drives, and more difficult to tinker with and softmod. Better buy them earlier and get more for your flashcard.
It's different with the 3DS and DS. While the Wii loads games, flashcarts use methods of spoofing, so while the flashcarts themselves are blocked, the games they spoof still work.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Zetta_x said:

I never said the library sucks, nor do I think it does.

Not only that, but it looks like it is getting less attractive to popular developers as the months go by.
...Why? It will only get more popular as the announced games come out.

I took small library as games suck, but obviously it doesn't follow that way.

Mainly because of canceled games and low console sales. My cousin; who I just tested with is 3DS, is selling his 3DS and he pretty much only play OoT on it.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, all in all the 3DS has my attention. I don't have any games for it, never did, however the built in games have rather large replay values and are quite fun. The Sound Channel is Good, could be better, but I use it all the time (I have at least over 300 hours on it). Netflix is amazing, animation looks great and non-animated features look pretty good. Plus, there are a crapload of games I want, the most important of them being PL vs. AA. I think the 3DS has a bright future and is just in a rough spot, never really in any trouble or danger.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Well, all in all the 3DS has my attention. I don't have any games for it, never did, however the built in games have rather large replay values and are quite fun. The Sound Channel is Good, could be better, but I use it all the time (I have at least over 300 hours on it). Netflix is amazing, animation looks great and non-animated features look pretty good. Plus, there are a crapload of games I want, the most important of them being PL vs. AA. I think the 3DS has a bright future and is just in a rough spot, never really in any trouble or danger.

Sounds awesome especially if netflix would work on it.

I don't know why I keep using my cousin as examples. Not only is it just one observation, but he is a biased PS fan soo....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: