Hacking 3DS ROM Decrypting confirmed

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Yes, decrypting ROM's can be useful for finding exploits in games, yes, it can lead to ROM hacking, provided you can encrypt the images back, and no, it's unlikely that anyone will make use of the decrypted images for ROM loaders etc.

But could lead to emulators on PC right?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This would definitely be of interest to a lot of people, even if just for the whole Phoenix Wright US/EU farce.
What's the problem with Phoenix Wright? All PW games that were released in Europe were also released in the US and vice versa as far as I know. (except Miles Edgeworth 2 which is not a 3DS game)

aphirst

Trophies
Website
aphirst.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What's the problem with Phoenix Wright? All PW games that were released in Europe were also released in the US and vice versa as far as I know. (except Miles Edgeworth 2 which is not a 3DS game)
The problem is that that recent-ish 3DS one didn't get a physical game-card release over in English speaking countries IIRC, only a download one. Which means that you can't add it to your physical game collection, or make a simple backup of the ROM for use on your flashcart; so that if you ever lose your 3DS, you've lost your copy of the game, and your save.

Mr_Pichu

かわいいね!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The era of games on physical media is coming to a close, it is more profitable for publishers to just put the software online. Kiddies these days have no trouble buying games on iOS devices, so the model has been proven. Us older gamers have a hard time adjusting to the new ways, we want our games on physical media. I have hundreds of games that will always be playable on compatible hardware, you couldn't ever do that with downloadable software incorporating DRM.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
But with encrypted rom images we can never have emulation in the future, right? If so then it's good news for emulation enthusiasts and preservation
well really if the mehod to decrypt is figured out without using the 3ds's built in decrypter....a future emulator could deal with encrypted roms

i think for an emulator to be made the 3ds will have to be pretty much broken open (security wise) anyway

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That, right there, people, is a sexy triangle.
Clearly it's a woman's bikini crotch :creep:
The problem is that that recent-ish 3DS one didn't get a physical game-card release over in English speaking countries IIRC, only a download one. Which means that you can't add it to your physical game collection, or make a simple backup of the ROM for use on your flashcart; so that if you ever lose your 3DS, you've lost your copy of the game, and your save.

I never see this as a valid argument against digital downloads. What's the difference if you lose your 3DS with a physical cart inside, if anyone even manages to lose their 3DS they got to be able to lose a lot more than that :evil:

By the way, someone with a legit 3DS can make whatever backups of their saves that they can, as long as they know the folder name.

aphirst

Trophies
Website
aphirst.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What's the difference if you lose your 3DS with a physical cart inside, if anyone even manages to lose their 3DS they got to be able to lose a lot more than that :evil:
The idea is that you leave your physical copy at home on your game shelf, taking pride of place, and simply carry around your flashcart containing copies of all of your games. You get the convenience of having all your games with you, without them all being stolen if the console is stolen.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
its all personal preference, as much as i don't like the whole "eshop" idea some people really don't mind if in the future their whole collection of games is not accessible because nintendo decides they would prefer to resell you all the games again on the 5ds, i prefer to know i own it and assuming it doesn't break i will always own it

not to mention, if you decide you want to resell it you can, eshop games are the same price if not more, yet you can never resell them unless you sell the whole 3ds with every game included. i prefer to be in control of what i can and cant do with my games thank you very much :lol:

flash cards are a way of keeping the convenience of digital copies whilst keeping the benefits of keeping your physical copy, obviously they can be used for other "reasons" but its not fair to say that everyone uses flashcards to simply steal games and not pay for them.

Mariko

Trophies
XP
Country
oh but of course noone cares about my AMAZING TRIANGLES

I know I don't! But seriously, I hope that thanks to ROM decryption we'll see some cracktros. I'm such a cracktro whore. Figuratively, not literally ... Unless it's a REALLY good cracktro. I know it's all about clean dumps these days, and modified releases get nuked, but I can't wait to see something from Venom, or whoever still bothers to code cracktros nowadays.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Rom decrypting were already achieved, but until Smealum decides to share his codes, this means nothing to 3DS scene.
Smealum already achieved a lot of things on 3DS, but he will not share it until it's piracy-proof, so it's not time to get hyped yet.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The era of games on physical media is coming to a close, it is more profitable for publishers to just put the software online. Kiddies these days have no trouble buying games on iOS devices, so the model has been proven. Us older gamers have a hard time adjusting to the new ways, we want our games on physical media. I have hundreds of games that will always be playable on compatible hardware, you couldn't ever do that with downloadable software incorporating DRM.

i am not so sure physical media will go away just yet, what will they do next gen after this one when people want 4k games , and there are available 100GB plus optical disks ? there wont be enough bandwidth for users to be able to DL digital copies of games if they grow to be much larger than they are now

it is much more cost effective for them to upgrade the capacity of optical storage than it is for them to upgrade the entire internet infrastructure, they both need to be done, but i suspect that the current trend is pointing toward monopolies on ISP's being cheap bastards and not wanting to invest on the requisite upgrades to existing infrastructure before higher storage capacity optical media is widely available

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I don't! But seriously, I hope that thanks to ROM decryption we'll see some cracktros. I'm such a cracktro whore. Figuratively, not literally ... Unless it's a REALLY good cracktro. I know it's all about clean dumps these days, and modified releases get nuked, but I can't wait to see something from Venom, or whoever still bothers to code cracktros nowadays.

Duplex adds one to their high-profile leaks, but they always make sure to leave an untouched, original eboot along with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up