• Likes 43

skpuppy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two noob questions:

1) What are advantages of downgrading from higher firmware (9.0 for example) to 4.x ?
2) Can you install DS profile exploit (non-browser method to start rxmode) on old 3ds XL which is over 4.5 but under 9.2 ?

cjm5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So, RIP my n3DS, but I just picked up an old 3ds with firmware 7.1U and I have Cubic Ninja. What is my best option here in terms of running sig patched firmware? Use rxtools to emunand to 9.5 or something? Should I upgrade the sysnand to 9.2? I have zero experience with anything other than loading pasta through cn on 9.0, which was very easy and worked great, but as evidenced by bricking my n3ds i have no idea where to begin with emunand amd all that other stuff

Last edited by cjm5,

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I'm very much a scrub when it comes to things like this and I don't know if this is even possible beyond the theory (hopefully).

So here's the issue: I lost my Red Card a month and a half ago which had Big Blue Menu on it. I've since gone to ReiNAND to access my emuNAND, however, I have no method to install .cia because I need to install .cia in order to get my xorpad to be able to install FBI. At least, as far as I've come to understand things.

What I have:
- n3DS on 9.2
- Blue Card
- DS Profile exploit

My theoretical solution:
- (re)install Gateway menu
- backup 9.2 system NAND
- Update system NAND to newest to get youtube (sadly, I can't get ironfall Invasion from eshop)
- backup new system NAND
- Somehow inject the 9.2 stuff into the new system NAND so I can get 9.2 but with youtube
- use tubehax to run FBI
- Enjoy the insanity

My question is, does this even sound possible? If so, how would I be able to basically insert youtube into the 9.2 backup? Is there an easier solution considering that I have no idea how to insert youtube into the sysNAND backup? I know the easiest solution is to just buy a new set of Gateway cards... or a Sky3DS (since a Gateway at this point is actually less useful since I can just use Sky3DS for all the things I'd use a Red Card for...)
Tubehax won't boot FBI. It seems that the entry point for the Homebrew Launcher impacts which permissions the boot.3dsx file has. Using Ninjhax (1.1) as an entry point FBI, ReiNAND, etc... work fine. Using Tubehax, they just freeze.

Gregora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tubehax won't boot FBI. It seems that the entry point for the Homebrew Launcher impacts which permissions the boot.3dsx file has. Using Ninjhax (1.1) as an entry point FBI, ReiNAND, etc... work fine. Using Tubehax, they just freeze.

But I can't use ninjhax is the problem as I lack a copy of CN.

edit: Also the FBI injector thread gave me nothing but "sorry but n3DS isn't (and never will be) supported."

Last edited by Gregora,

Jeremy R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't downgrade the entire firmware of the console, just one component of it.
The bluecardfix.cia contains a system file which is an older version of the same system file that exists currently on your console's system. The difference is that in that older version the DS flashcarts weren't blocked. So by installing that file alone into your console's system you're able to overwrite the most recent file and that way unblock the blue card so that it works on your console.

And yes, you can use CFWs alongside Gateway. Luckily there's several different ways to boot into GW/CFWs so you can use them together.

hey so based on what Im reading now. I am seeing its possible to play 3ds roms, 2ds roms, GBA roms, on a N3DS system version 9.0-9.2, WITHOUT the use of a flashcart?

Does it really work like that, for 3DS, GBA? and even 2DS game roms?

That is, by using the "PastaCFW" method.

I am not able to find find a clear guide, tutorial on how to install PastaCFW on a N3DS version 9.2.

Could you please provide tutorials to:
1. Install PastaCFW on a N3DS version 9.2 without a GW flashcart. (will purchase Cubic Ninja to do the install if it is required)

2. Convert 3DS roms to cia format. (Also 2DS and GBA if required)

3. A good source for downloading 3DS roms. If possible.

Last thing in your opinion which is more convenient for simply gaming:
A. Using Gateway to play 3ds roms, 2ds roms on N3DS
B. Using Pasta CFW to play 3ds cia roms, 2ds cia roms on N3DS

Are there any real benefits for using Gateway vs using Pasta CFW, for someone who simply wants to run 3DS roms and 2DS roms? and well of course to be able to save in games etc.

Im just a simple gamer.

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway. If I missed my chance to download YouTube before it was taken off the eShop, I'm shit outta luck for TubeHax, right?

Edit: I have a 3DS XL on 4.5 sysNAND and 9.9 emuNAND, and use the Gateway red cart.

Last edited by IronClouds,

RPG_Fan_1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello, I've got another noob question about O3ds.
If I install Rxtools on my 9.2 Old 3DS (browser exploit), without downgrading to 4.5, is it possible to install bluecard.cia to get NDS card support on 3DS on 9.2 without having to reinstall blue gateway exploit every time I play an old NDS flashcart like R4?

thedude28

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello, I've got another noob question about O3ds.
If I install Rxtools on my 9.2 Old 3DS (browser exploit), without downgrading to 4.5, is it possible to install bluecard.cia to get NDS card support on 3DS on 9.2 without having to reinstall blue gateway exploit every time I play an old NDS flashcart like R4?

Yes. You just need to figure out a way to make the DS exploit stick.

RPG_Fan_1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yes. You just need to figure out a way to make the DS exploit stick.
Thanks. I guess it might just be easier to downgrade it to 4.5 in that case. Having to use the browser every time would probably be slower than occasionally having to reinstall the nds exploit. Now I'm just pondering on whether it's better to wait on rxtools 3.0, or just install 2.6.

CZroe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been led around in circles with conflicting information on this. Ugh.

I have two old 3DSes that have never been above FW4.5 and don't have YouTube or anything. One is an original launch unit that was only ever online for the Ambassador bonuses. The other is a 3DS XL I recently picked up. I also have a New 3DS XL but I am not trying to do anything with that right now.

I want to update the SysNAND on both old3DSes to 9.2 so I can downgrade their MSETs to 4.5 and maintain my offline DS profile exploit launcher. I also want to update eShop and get stuff like YouTube for TubeHax before it's too late. I have a Gateway 3DS but I don't want either DS to require it since it will likely stay with the New 3DS. I bought it a long time ago but never used it until a few days ago, so even that stuff is new to me. I don't intend to run ROMs and only mention it in case it can be used as a shortcut to what I am trying to do. Basically, these 3DSes sat in a drawer for years and they are only on 4.5 because I used some game cards to update a few days ago. I also have Ocarina of Time 3D but I think it's not compatible with the Gateway exploit (it has 4.3 update).

I installed Gateway Ultra 3.4 MSET DS profile exploit using the Gateway DS card ("blue" card) and used that to execute Gateway Ultra 3.4's Launcher.dat menu. I used the Gateway menu to backup NAND and setup EmuNAND. EmuNAND works without the Gateway 3DS card ("red" card) in Classic mode only until I update it to 9.9. If I attempt to boot EmuNAND without the GW 3DS card, I get black screen. I only have one Gateway 3DS card and do not want either of these systems to require it.

Last edited by CZroe,

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I've been led around in circles with conflicting information on this. Ugh.

I have two old 3DSes that have never been above FW4.5 and don't have YouTube or anything. I want to update their SysNAND to 9.2 so I can downgrade their MSETs to 4.5 and maintain my offline exploit launcher. I also want to update eShop and get stuff like YouTube for TubeHax before it's too late. I have a Gateway 3DS. I never tried to use it until recently, so even that stuff is new to me. Basically, this 3DS sat in a drawer for years and is only on 4.5 because I used some game cards to update a few days ago.

Step 1?

If their firmware is 4.5 or even any 4.x firmware and you also have Gateway, they're ready to be used already. You just need to set up GW (format emunand, etc, read the guides for it) and then you'll be able to play games and access eShop just fine.

CZroe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If their firmware is 4.5 or even any 4.x firmware and you also have Gateway, they're ready to be used already. You just need to set up GW (format emunand, etc, read the guides for it) and then you'll be able to play games and access eShop just fine.
Thanks, but I actually updated my post to clarify that I don't want to use them with Gateway particularly because I can't run EmuNAND 9.9 without it. That causes a problem when sharing one card with two 3DSes that will not always be together (only one at a time can have the card). I really only mentioned it in case it can be used as a shortcut to getting them set up. I don't have Cubic Ninja, YouTube, or anything else I know of that can be used as a starting point.

Edit: Also, I want it on newer FW so that it will not initialize my saves when I freely switch cards from the o3DS to the n3DS. I do not intend to run downloaded games.

Using what I have (Gateway, o3DS 4.5, 3DS XL4.5), I want to get to SysNAND 9.2 with the downgraded 4.5 settings app so I can ditch the Gateway and avoid using a browser exploit that requires an Internet connection or offline server. Running EmuNAND 9.9 on top of SysNAND 9.2 with updated eShop and YouTube for TubeHax would also be awesome.

lemanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thanks, but I actually updated my post to clarify that I don't want to use them with Gateway particularly because I can't run EmuNAND 9.9 without it. That causes a problem when sharing one card with two 3DSes that will not always be together (only one at a time can have the card). I really only mentioned it in case it can be used as a shortcut to getting them set up. I don't have Cubic Ninja, YouTube, or anything else I know of that can be used as a starting point.

Edit: Also, I want it on newer FW so that it will not initialize my saves when I freely switch cards from the o3DS to the n3DS. I do not intend to run downloaded games.

Using what I have (Gateway, o3DS 4.5, 3DS XL4.5), I want to get to SysNAND 9.2 with the downgraded 4.5 settings app so I can ditch the Gateway and avoid using a browser exploit that requires an Internet connection or offline server. Running EmuNAND 9.9 on top of SysNAND 9.2 with updated eShop and YouTube for TubeHax would also be awesome.

I would suggest you read a bit about the currently available CFWs, like rxTools for example, since that's probably the best solution for you.

You'll be able to update sysnand to 9.2 (max firmware that is still exploitable) and you don't require any flashcart to use it. You can run CIAs and homebrew just fine, just not .3ds roms since you need a flashcart for that.
They also can use emunand and it's compatible between GW and rxTools for example which means you can boot into the same emunand using either one of them.

CZroe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would suggest you read a bit about the currently available CFWs, like rxTools for example, since that's probably the best solution for you.

You'll be able to update sysnand to 9.2 (max firmware that is still exploitable) and you don't require any flashcart to use it. You can run CIAs and homebrew just fine, just not .3ds roms since you need a flashcart for that.
They also can use emunand and it's compatible between GW and rxTools for example which means you can boot into the same emunand using either one of them.
Gotcha. Thanks. Next step is getting that setup without Cubic Ninja, YouTube, Iron-whatever, etc. This is where I think the Gateway can help, but I assume I can't do anything useful in EmuNAND. Can you (or anyone) point me in the right direction here?

lemanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Gotcha. Thanks. Next step is getting that setup without Cubic Ninja, YouTube, Iron-whatever, etc. This is where I think the Gateway can help. Can you point me in the right direction here?

You should check the main thread of rxTools. There's at least 3 ways to boot into it: Profile exploit (Mset), Browser exploit and Cubic Ninja.
So on your O3DS consoles, you will probably be able to use either the profile exploit (same way as it was for GW) or the browser exploit.
I'm far from being an expert on it so if you have any doubts regarding how rxTools works, you should ask there.

here's the thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-rxtools-roxas75-3ds-toolkit-fw-2-0-9-2.382782/
You also have a guide here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/ Not sure how good the guide is though

CZroe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should check the main thread of rxTools. There's at least 3 ways to boot into it: Profile exploit (Mset), Browser exploit and Cubic Ninja.
So on your O3DS consoles, you will probably be able to use either the profile exploit (same way as it was for GW) or the browser exploit.
I'm far from being an expert on it so if you have any doubts regarding how rxTools works, you should ask there.

here's the thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-rxtools-roxas75-3ds-toolkit-fw-2-0-9-2.382782/
You also have a guide here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/ Not sure how good the guide is though
Thanks again. I also see something about Devmenu for Gateway on the Gateway site. It sounds like Devmenu can be used for setting up CFW. I'm going to look into both of these. Thanks again!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Your dad still got laid