• Views 4,448,017
  • Replies 53,769
  • Likes 43

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. Well you won't lose save data from updating. You can use use a program such as savedatafiler (google it as I can't link to this I think) to backup and restore your saves. You can also use the emunand tool to backup your emunand as a precaution before updating it. This would make it impossible to lose your saves (note that if you are running games directly off the gateway micro sd, they will be stored on the gateway micro sd, and emunand tool will not back this up. Emunand tool will only back up whatever is in the emunand partition on your internal sd card inside the 3ds - such as eshop game (CIA) save files).

GW - Running games straight off the gateway micro sd, the saves are stored on the gateway micro sd. Note they are not actually written to it until you exit the game.
Sky3DS - What I can gather from this manual, is that the sky3ds stores saves on the sky3ds micro sd.
CIAs - The saves are stored in the sd card inside the 3ds.

It is easier to use Gateway for roms you can't get in CIA form. The save files can be read directly in windows explorer (they are *.sav files). Sky seems to store them in an encrypted format for which you need to use a certain program to access them. From what I have read quickly, it may be possible to convert the saves to Gateway format depending on the game. This thread has some information. I didn't find any information about Gateway to Sky, but I'd be surprised if someone hasn't figured out a way to do it.
Gateway actually stores the .sav files on the System SD card instead of the Gateway SD card. Card 2 games alter the .3ds file on the Gateway card, though. (The "Last Modified" value does not change, but it can be verified with an MD5 checker, or any other method of comparison before and after.) I don't know if they chose to do it that way because of fragmentation issues, or if the way their Home Menu hook works prevents them from accessing anything other than the currently loaded rom/save data and the System SD card, or if there's another reason.

Ah I did not know you had to close the game to write the saves for the gateway, might be a bit of a pain if the battery dies :D I'll have to test if this is the same case with Sky. It is a shame they aren't easily convertible from the looks of things. I did notice a few times when I tried to get the OOT save exploit working that Sky would just delete the save, it seems a bit fickle.

I think, like you say, in the end gateway is the best of the two cards although it is more complicated to set up. I like the Sky as it is easy to use, but I feel gateway will always be that bit ahead (being able to play CIA is also very good as some titles are only available via e-shop).

I'm happy with both cards as the Sky enables me to use the gateway :D If another exploit is found in another game then I can just stick it on the Sky, easy.
I've had the battery die a few times on me, and I believe I've recovered the save each time. If you load the same game that was previously loaded, Gateway won't overwrite the save memory. Then you can start the game and close it, to have it write the file to the SD card. I'm not sure what will cause this to break (like taking out the card, leaving the system completely drained for too long, etc), so for best results, I would recommend doing this as quickly as possible.

Reactions: mrbits

mrbits

Trophies
XP
Country
Gateway actually stores the .sav files on the System SD card instead of the Gateway SD card. Card 2 games alter the .3ds file on the Gateway card, though. (The "Last Modified" value does not change, but it can be verified with an MD5 checker, or any other method of comparison before and after.) I don't know if they chose to do it that way because of fragmentation issues, or if the way their Home Menu hook works prevents them from accessing anything other than the currently loaded rom/save data and the System SD card, or if there's another reason.

I've had the battery die a few times on me, and I believe I've recovered the save each time. If you load the same game that was previously loaded, Gateway won't overwrite the save memory. Then you can start the game and close it, to have it write the file to the SD card. I'm not sure what will cause this to break (like taking out the card, leaving the system completely drained for too long, etc), so for best results, I would recommend doing this as quickly as possible.

Ah I see, that makes sense I guess. It has the save stored somewhere but not committed to the save file on the sd until you close it. I tried some forced power offs with the Sky3DS and it seems to keep them fine, but then extracting saves and writing roms to it is a hassle so I think I'll just keep it for the exploits.

Saiyann

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hey, I just got my 3ds today and I wanted to back up system nand. I ran into a problem - I dont have a micro sd adapter! Is there a way I can still do it? I thought about using my phone to update the micro sd card, as Im only interested in installing cia formatted games using pasta cfw. Will it be okay? Thanks

easycig

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I have an non *NEW* 3DS on the 9.8 firmware, I was wondering if any carts besides the sky3ds would work to play backups of 3ds games? I was hoping for a more affordable option as I would need two units one for me and one for my GF>

genericuser

Trophies
XP
Country

My bad. Thanks for correcting that:)

Hey, I just got my 3ds today and I wanted to back up system nand. I ran into a problem - I dont have a micro sd adapter! Is there a way I can still do it? I thought about using my phone to update the micro sd card, as Im only interested in installing cia formatted games using pasta cfw. Will it be okay? Thanks

Use the micro sd management option in data management which works over wifi. It's going to be really slow though if you want to transfer the nand backup to your computer. You could probably wire up your own adapter if you have some experience with that sort of thing. Otherwise just buy an adapter if you can, if not, you should be able to get a small capacity micro sd from the supermarket for very cheaply which should come with the adapter.

Hi I have an non *NEW* 3DS on the 9.8 firmware, I was wondering if any carts besides the sky3ds would work to play backups of 3ds games? I was hoping for a more affordable option as I would need two units one for me and one for my GF>

Nope. You would be better getting a hard mod if you have a nand backup of up to 9.2 firmware for that 3ds which you can restore from, or sell it and get a 3ds with up to 9.2 firmware.

Last edited by genericuser,

Matthew Phillips

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I have an old 3DS XL with gateway/emunand already installed and stuff. I want to update the gateway to v3.2.2 but I don't know how. Anyone got a tutorial, I'll also want to update the emunand if possible as well

Gregora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could I use my Gateway as a means to install Pasta due to the new version allowing me to basically use Gateway while inside SysNAND since I don't own a copy of Cubic Ninja?

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'vebeen off the site for a while and it seems I've missed some things so I just want to double check on some stuff. I see GBA support now, I take it this is CFW only as I've not seen GW support mentioned anywhere around it, even though they're .cia files? Also I'm seeing RxTools. Not sure what it does, I think It's used to decrpyt and make romhacks? Thats the impression I got when looking at that Pokemon X/Y hack. Could anybody confirm this for me please. Thanks.

thebatdadd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a microsd card in-store at frys electronics to use with sky3ds and I'm not sure what is going on with it. It was this one:

http://www.frys.com/product/8429288?source=google&gclid=CIvMmtzvncYCFc1ffgodfOwGfA

It was working fine when I loaded up NA and JP versions of cubic ninja on it but then all of a sudden stopped working when I installed the regionfour exploit. It might be important to note that when I scanned the QR code for regionfour, the top screen of my 3DS showed the regionfour installation screen (smealum's instructions and whatnot), while the bottom screen was still showing cubic ninja. I then powered off the 3DS since I figured something glitched. Now the microsd card won't work at all and sky3ds won't read it (my other microsd card still works fine with sky3ds, so it isn't an issue with my sky3ds card). I right click on the meesed up microsd card and format it to default values and it still only gives me 492 kb of available space. Is the card messed up?

spacerobot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question: I just got my first New 3ds XL yesterday. I am interested in playing backups on it. From the looks of it there are flash cards and custom firmware? To me it doesn't matter what method I use but I was wondering if anyone can recommend the easiest way to get backups working? Not sure what card or method to go with. Thanks!

PrinceDeviant

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Question: I just got my first New 3ds XL yesterday. I am interested in playing backups on it. From the looks of it there are flash cards and custom firmware? To me it doesn't matter what method I use but I was wondering if anyone can recommend the easiest way to get backups working? Not sure what card or method to go with. Thanks!
Im by no means an expert, but i think the sky3ds is best for 3ds roms, but for normal ds roms i use an r4i sdhc cart which works fine...all depends on what operating firmware your 3ds xl is running...find that in system settings and look at the top screen and the version would be stamped on the bottom right of the screen. Let the forums readers know what op system your 3ds xl is running and the next bit of advise will be more appropriate; ) hope that helps

TidusWulf

Real Aloha
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an emuNAND and rxTools which I've updated to 9.8. Is there a way to make it the -20 Browser from 9.2.0? I tried downloading the web browser CIA and flashing it, but I don't think that's really all it takes. Anyone else have success with this?

PrinceDeviant

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have an r4i cart which im not sure if it needs upgrading or updating...the front label sticker has been removed however looking at r4i-sdhc site the cart passes the 3 point official check (oval, serial number, load screen, truth inquiry)...it says on the r4i load screen its 1.80b...my dsi is running 1.4.3e...should i leave it as it is? Only want to play games and save my progress...have no interest in emulations or cheats or homebrews

mrbits

Trophies
XP
Country

Easiest way is with sky3ds, it emulates a real card

RaikouKid

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
*Opening post was here, thanks for quoting it*
Hey, I've never really used this site before, but whatever. I thought it would be a good place to get questions answered.

I live in NA, and I prefer the N3DS over the XL, much much more. My question is, what is the best way to order a JP N3DS and play all my games on it? I know Region "Unlocking" is a thing, but I'm not sure how to go at it the most cost-effective way. I have a couple of different ways to go about this, but I feel as if you people know more about what you're doing than me. Any help/suggestions would be highly appreciated!

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey guys quick question about cheats for (like AR codes and stuff like that) is there anyway i can cheat on games with a gateway flash cart?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Deeze nuts