• Views 4,462,965
  • Replies 53,774
  • Likes 43

cabal_man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What is the largest size of SD card I can use on an original V4.5 3DS with gateway/CIAs ? Nintendo suggest 32GB but I'm hoping I can go higher. Also are there any extra steps needed to be taken/ gotchas to watch out for if it is possible to go over the official supported limit?

Domino101

Trophies
XP
Country
was wondering, i have an o3ds on firmware 4.5.0-10U emunand rx 9.8, i want to use the pokemon qr code hack when i scan the qr code is doesnt work. how do i get it to work in my current situation?

zero2exe

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
was wondering, i have an o3ds on firmware 4.5.0-10U emunand rx 9.8, i want to use the pokemon qr code hack when i scan the qr code is doesnt work. how do i get it to work in my current situation?
IIRC The web injection exploit is supposed to work only on 9.0 - 9.2 (I think it goes as high as 9.4 though). So you would need a firmware about that range for it to work.

Domino101

Trophies
XP
Country
IIRC The web injection exploit is supposed to work only on 9.0 - 9.2 (I think it goes as high as 9.4 though). So you would need a firmware about that range for it to work.
thanks, on another topic,im using cfw with mset 4.x,i have pokemon x installed and ssb, i use rxtool to play pokemon x, if i update my system to firmware an where between 9.0-9.2 with sysupdater. would everything still work perfectly.

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I play DS ROMs using the red cart? Or do I have to use the blue cart? Either way, the manual said that running a DS ROM will uninstall the DS profile exploit (what exactly is that anyway?). Thanks!

One more thing, I have a .3ds file being played off my redcart. How do I update it? Can I just access the eShop through EMUNAND and update the .3ds file or do I have to do something else?
DS roms only work with the Blue Card. The Red Card only works with 3DS roms. The "DS Profile Exploit" is the method of accessing the launcher where you go into System Settings > Profile > Nintendo DS Profile. It works by exploiting a bug in older versions of the System Settings app, which is triggered by specific data stored in NVRAM (specifically, the profile used for DS mode software). Running DS mode software (the Blue Card, retail DS cards, DSiWare, etc) can cause that profile to be wiped or otherwise changed, so any time you run DS mode software, simply run GW_INSTALLER.nds to reinstall that profile. If you are not currently using that exploit, you can enable it by either downgrading sysNand (for Old 3DS) or installing the provided mset.cia file from Gateway (for New 3DS). If the Blue Card does not work for you, you may need to install the provided bluecardfix.cia to your sysNand in order to unblock it.

If your emuNand is on the latest version (only possible with Old 3DS right now), then you can access the eShop normally and grab the update. If you can't or don't want to access the eShop, you can find .CIA versions of the updates, probably on the same site you obtain your other files. Use DevMenu or BigBlueMenu (or any other CIA installer) to install them.

What is the largest size of SD card I can use on an original V4.5 3DS with gateway/CIAs ? Nintendo suggest 32GB but I'm hoping I can go higher. Also are there any extra steps needed to be taken/ gotchas to watch out for if it is possible to go over the official supported limit?
Cards above 32GB are not officially supported by the 3DS, but most users seem to have no problem with larger cards. You will want to have a faster card if possible (like a Class 10 instead of a Class 4), and you will want to make sure it's formatted for FAT32 (and I believe 32k cluster size). The Gateway SD card can be any size, as far as I know, and it is recommended you use exFat.

zero2exe

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
thanks, on another topic,im using cfw with mset 4.x,i have pokemon x installed and ssb, i use rxtool to play pokemon x, if i update my system to firmware an where between 9.0-9.2 with sysupdater. would everything still work perfectly.
You would be able to use all spider-related exploits if you managed to update your firmware to that exact version and play games with the newer encryption without any trouble, but you wouldn't be able to use cfw anymore because it only works on 4.x
Also you would lose the saves to your games since they were encrypted with the keys available at 4.x while your system would use those that were introduced around 6.x - 7.x (can't remember exactly).

mrbits

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Guys,

I have a few questions as I have been away from the scene since I sold my original 3DS long before gateway released, mostly because I found it difficult to keep the 3D effect by holding it exactly right :)

Things I have (mostly waiting for them to be delivered at the moment):

New 3DS XL
Charger (seriously Nintendo?)
3x 32GB microsd
Sky3ds
Gateway 3DS
Cheap game to dump headers

For most of the 3DS games, I am hoping to just use the sky3ds, but i got the gateway too so i have best of both worlds.

Now, onto my questions:
  1. Am I right in thinking that when I get my 3DS I need to make an emunand which will place a copy of the current nand, say 9.2, onto the 3DS microsd and allow me to update the main nand without issue?
  2. The gateway comes with 2 cards, the 3DS card and the other card which is basically a DS flashcard. Is it possible to run DS roms and home-brew off the DS card? I have a few I wish to catch up on, but don't really fancy forking out for another card. If it isn't possible, can someone tell me what the best card for this is?
I did have another question, but I can't recall it right now :P

I greatly appreciate any help you can provide and can't wait to be part of the community :)

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Now, onto my questions:
  1. Am I right in thinking that when I get my 3DS I need to make an emunand which will place a copy of the current nand, say 9.2, onto the 3DS microsd and allow me to update the main nand without issue?
  2. The gateway comes with 2 cards, the 3DS card and the other card which is basically a DS flashcard. Is it possible to run DS roms and home-brew off the DS card? I have a few I wish to catch up on, but don't really fancy forking out for another card. If it isn't possible, can someone tell me what the best card for this is?
1 the inverse, you update the emunand, not the sysnand (this you meant as main nand, right?)

2 yes you can, but since it's an old DS flashcard and nintendo already blocked it, you have to unlock with bluecardfix or FlashCardTimeWarp, then you can use it XD I've found this: http://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-...3ds-for-ds-roms-question.388130/#post-5479503

I don't see why you need to have both GW and Sky :v [my pinion] since you are getting GW and need a game to get headers, you can just get the oot 3D to get the header and use the GW to play , or you don't even need headers if play instaling .cia instead of using .3ds on the card :v but it's up to you the sky would be if you already had and updated console and don't want to look for an less updated one [/my opinion][/QUOTE]

Domino101

Trophies
XP
Country
You would be able to use all spider-related exploits if you managed to update your firmware to that exact version and play games with the newer encryption without any trouble, but you wouldn't be able to use cfw anymore because it only works on 4.x
Also you would lose the saves to your games since they were encrypted with the keys available at 4.x while your system would use those that were introduced around 6.x - 7.x (can't remember exactly).
what about the browser, can i install 9.2 browser on my current firmware sys & emu nand? and use exploits

mrbits

Trophies
XP
Country
1 the inverse, you update the emunand, not the sysnand (this you meant as main nand, right?)

2 yes you can, but since it's an old DS flashcard and nintendo already blocked it, you have to unlock with bluecardfix or FlashCardTimeWarp, then you can use it XD I've found this: http://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-...3ds-for-ds-roms-question.388130/#post-5479503

I don't see why you need to have both GW and Sky :v [my pinion] since you are getting GW and need a game to get headers, you can just get the oot 3D to get the header and use the GW to play , or you don't even need headers if play instaling .cia instead of using .3ds on the card :v but it's up to you the sky would be if you already had and updated console and don't want to look for an less updated one [/my opinion]
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for answering my questions! Is it possible to block updates on the sysnand?

To be honest I just got both as I don't know what firmware my 3ds will be on when it arrives. Plus I read that you can use the sky3ds to use the cubic ninja and oot 3d exploits etc as to the 3ds it replicates the functionality of a real card. The sky3ds wasn't that much more than getting oot new so thought why not go for it.

The gateway does everything, but having to do the browser exploit every time might be annoying. The sky3ds is just put in and play, so each has their advantages really.

Reactions: Sliter

Gayquest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, finally about to hunker down and purchase a Gateway cart.

I just have one question: do I still need to purchase OOT or Cubic Ninja?

I have a N3DS version 9.0.0

gregory2590

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is it that when I try to boot title manager(big blue), i'm getting an eternal 3ds loading screen?(with the red lines and stuff)? I made sure the big blue files are in their respective SD cards.

Eon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If I downgrade my sysNAND to 4.2/4.5, will I lose the saves for the .3ds games I've been playing or just for the retail and eShop games? Is there any way to protect my saves and use them after downgrading? I don't want to lose my Animal Crossing town just so I can boot Gateway without wifi :(

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You will still need OOT or CN for the initial process, yes. If you cannot access one of those, there was a thread for people offering to install the NVRAM exploit, you can try looking in there. Once the NVRAM profile/MSET exploit is installed, you no longer need OOT or CN.

If I downgrade my sysNAND to 4.2/4.5, will I lose the saves for the .3ds games I've been playing or just for the retail and eShop games? Is there any way to protect my saves and use them after downgrading? I don't want to lose my Animal Crossing town just so I can boot Gateway without wifi :(
Games released after System Version 6.0.0-11 use a new encryption for their save games. I believe you can use SaveDataFiler to extract those saves, then downgrade, then use SDF to inject the save back into the game under the older encryption, but I'm not 100% sure on the process. (I didn't do this before I downgraded my system, because I only had a couple retail games.) There are guides on how to transfer/preserve saves available. I believe this only applies to retail cards and not eShop games, but I'm not completely certain, so I would suggest looking through the guides before downgrading.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Thank you for answering my questions! Is it possible to block updates on the sysnand?

To be honest I just got both as I don't know what firmware my 3ds will be on when it arrives. Plus I read that you can use the sky3ds to use the cubic ninja and oot 3d exploits etc as to the 3ds it replicates the functionality of a real card. The sky3ds wasn't that much more than getting oot new so thought why not go for it.

The gateway does everything, but having to do the browser exploit every time might be annoying. The sky3ds is just put in and play, so each has their advantages really.[/QUOTE]
Anytime! ^^
with the new 3Ds you don't use the internet exploit, you use the zelda oot/cubic ninja ones, at least one time, than you can do like the said there so you can use the "ds profile exploit" o3o

About locking the updates you can mess with parental security thing so you can set to not update unless you want to .. I'm not sure XD but just don't let the sysnand online for much time or don't mash A while it's setting up xD (I almost did it a lot of time:v ) and if you make the nand backup before you get the update prompt (btw, do it) you can restore if it keep asking you too update and stuff.
And even if you can't use GW on the firmeware it arrives, use RXtools emunand tp update, don't update the sysnand!

I'm the same with you .. almost haha well Do a sysnanand backup and then try, you can boot the same emunand, if something don't work, just restore it.
One pal told me if I want to start a new emunand from 4.x , I can use save file tool to pick everything and then put there again, but I don't tried yet

well you can try get it borrowed xD you will need a o3DS that can boot GW menu to be able to change oot 3D save (or maybe one browse chet thing? idk :v )

Everyone getting a N3DS .. I want one too aaaa *dies XD*

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The gateway does everything, but having to do the browser exploit every time might be annoying. The sky3ds is just put in and play, so each has their advantages really.
Updates can't really be 100% blocked, but there are a couple things you can do. If you unlink sysNand and emuNand, you can fill sysNand's internet connection settings with junk/dummy connections (or leave them completely empty) so it won't automatically connect to your home network. It can still grab updates from SpotPass nodes like McDonalds and such, I believe, though. The system will only automatically download updates while in sleep mode, so if you never put it to sleep while in sysNand, you should be fine. (I only ever use sysNand to get to emuNand, personally.)

If you do get an update, it will prompt you to update, but you can remove the nag by using Recovery Mode. Power on the system while holding A+L+R+Up (on D-Pad), and it'll boot into a special mode for applying updates. Just cancel out of it and restart normally, and the nag will be gone. (It's meant to clear out a corrupted update, so it deletes the downloaded update, removing the nag as well.) Recovery Mode doesn't work for emuNand, though, but sysNand is the one that's dangerous to update.

Reactions: Sliter

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm not a flour expert I just snort it