Hacking Gateway Blue Card running on new 3DS ( for DS roms) question

Adrian-E-C

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cant get the blue card running on My new 3DS.
Am I doing something wrong or is it simply not compatible?

If they do work, what do I need to do to the card to make it run on New 3DS?

Sorry if this makes me sound like a complete noob, it is because I am.

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The blue card has been blocked since one of the 6.X firmwares. You can install flashcard timewarp on SysNAND to make it work with the N3DS.

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depending on your new3DS Firmware Version (max 9.2.0), you can use either cubic ninja or ocarina of time exploit to boot gateway and install bluecardfix.cia (same as flashcardtimewarp) with devmenu 3.2 to re-enable blue card.

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cant get the blue card running on My new 3DS.
Am I doing something wrong or is it simply not compatible?

If they do work, what do I need to do to the card to make it run on New 3DS?

Sorry if this makes me sound like a complete noob, it is because I am.
I'm assuming you're able to get into the Gateway Launcher and use the red card (since you aren't asking about those, and they're kinda the "main" feature). If not, there are going to be more steps involved.

Have you already installed the mset.cia file into sysNand? If not, may want to do that during the process, in order to use the NVRAM exploit.

The issue is that the blue card (and other DS flash cards) are blocked by the firmware. So the fix for that is to add entries to the whitelist in the firmware that allows the cards to run anyway.
- Put the bluecardfix.cia file (or FlashCardTimeWarp.cia, if you choose to use that instead) onto your system's SD card. If you are planning to install mset.cia to enable the NVRAM exploit, copy that to the system SD card as well.
- Put devmenu.3ds onto your Rec Gateway's SD card.
- Put the system SD card and Red Gateway into the 3DS.
- Start the Gateway launcher via your current method, while holding L to get to the menu.
- While you're in this menu, you may decide to select "INSTALL NVRAM", if you are planning to use the NVRAM exploit. Doing it now basically saves a step in the future.
- While "BOOT GATEWAY MODE" is highlighted (default option) Hold B to change it to "BOOT GATEWAY SYSNAND MODE", and then press A while holding B. This will boot your sysNand, but with the signature checks disabled and Red Gateway card support enabled. (This is a feature added to the 3.2.1 version of the Gateway launcher, so if the text doesn't change when you hold B, you need to update the Launcher.dat file.)
- Load devmenu like you would any other 3DS game, and use it to install bluecardfix/FlashCardTimeWarp.
- If you are installing the mset.cia file, you'll do that here.

Once this is done, you should be able to reboot the system, and use the Blue Gateway card while in sysNand. You can use the GW_INSTALLER.nds file to install the NVRAM profile that allows you to use the exploit using the blue card, or you can re-enter the Gateway Launcher menu and select "INSTALL NVRAM" to do the same thing. The NVRAM often gets wiped/truncated when running DS mode software (including the blue card, other flash cards, retail games, and DSiWare titles), in which case the easiest way to reinstall it is probably going to be your Blue Card.

I hope this answers your questions. If not, I hope I (or someone else) will be able to answer any you might still have.

Reactions: Purple_Shyguy

Adrian-E-C

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm assuming you're able to get into the Gateway Launcher and use the red card (since you aren't asking about those, and they're kinda the "main" feature). If not, there are going to be more steps involved.

Have you already installed the mset.cia file into sysNand? If not, may want to do that during the process, in order to use the NVRAM exploit.

The issue is that the blue card (and other DS flash cards) are blocked by the firmware. So the fix for that is to add entries to the whitelist in the firmware that allows the cards to run anyway.
- Put the bluecardfix.cia file (or FlashCardTimeWarp.cia, if you choose to use that instead) onto your system's SD card. If you are planning to install mset.cia to enable the NVRAM exploit, copy that to the system SD card as well.
- Put devmenu.3ds onto your Rec Gateway's SD card.
- Put the system SD card and Red Gateway into the 3DS.
- Start the Gateway launcher via your current method, while holding L to get to the menu.
- While you're in this menu, you may decide to select "INSTALL NVRAM", if you are planning to use the NVRAM exploit. Doing it now basically saves a step in the future.
- While "BOOT GATEWAY MODE" is highlighted (default option) Hold B to change it to "BOOT GATEWAY SYSNAND MODE", and then press A while holding B. This will boot your sysNand, but with the signature checks disabled and Red Gateway card support enabled. (This is a feature added to the 3.2.1 version of the Gateway launcher, so if the text doesn't change when you hold B, you need to update the Launcher.dat file.)
- Load devmenu like you would any other 3DS game, and use it to install bluecardfix/FlashCardTimeWarp.
- If you are installing the mset.cia file, you'll do that here.

Once this is done, you should be able to reboot the system, and use the Blue Gateway card while in sysNand. You can use the GW_INSTALLER.nds file to install the NVRAM profile that allows you to use the exploit using the blue card, or you can re-enter the Gateway Launcher menu and select "INSTALL NVRAM" to do the same thing. The NVRAM often gets wiped/truncated when running DS mode software (including the blue card, other flash cards, retail games, and DSiWare titles), in which case the easiest way to reinstall it is probably going to be your Blue Card.

I hope this answers your questions. If not, I hope I (or someone else) will be able to answer any you might still have.

Thank you so much for the answet....BUUUT
I do not have the red card working as I got a New 3DS and switched to Sky3ds.
Basically I was hoping that the purchase of Gateway wasn't totally useless and I could still use the bluecard for DS games...but it looks like maybe not?
I can get the blue card to launch on my standard DL Lite, but I would rather have it running on my 3DS so as to keep from carrying three systems ( I also carry my Boktai Edition GBA sp)

Are there any flash cards that are out of the box compatable with the New 3DS XL for DS games?

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much for the answet....BUUUT
I do not have the red card working as I got a New 3DS and switched to Sky3ds.
Basically I was hoping that the purchase of Gateway wasn't totally useless and I could still use the bluecard for DS games...but it looks like maybe not?
I can get the blue card to launch on my standard DL Lite, but I would rather have it running on my 3DS so as to keep from carrying three systems ( I also carry my Boktai Edition GBA sp)

Are there any flash cards that are out of the box compatable with the New 3DS XL for DS games?
Sadly, I don't know of any. The 3DS has blocked all DS flash cards that I know of since System Software 5.0.0-ish, I think. Without a way to install BlueCardFix.cia/FlashCardTimeWarp.cia to update the system's whitelist to allow the cards to run, I don't believe you'll be able to use them with your 3DS. I haven't used a Sky3DS, but I believe it can't run things like DevMenu.3ds.

If anyone has more information on this, or can confirm, it would be greatly appreciated. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1