Hacking 3DS NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

• Thread starter Cyan
  • Start date
  • Views 4,447,814
  • Replies 53,769
  • Likes 43

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
should i put a header on every 3ds game i put on my gateway even if it has offline play only?

WarioBalotelli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If nothing is happening, then there seems to be a missing step.

Expected behavior: Selecting System Settings > Profile > Nintendo DS Profile causes the system to boot into emuNand. (Screen goes black, Gateway screen appears, system reboots into emuNand.) If the red card is not inserted, or the L button is being held down, the Gateway Launcher menu will appear instead. If emuNand has not been set up, sysNand will be launched in Gateway Mode.

Observed behavior: Selecting System Settings > Profile > Nintendo DS Profile causes nothing to happen. I take this to mean it brings up the normal Nintendo DS Profile settings (nickname, birthday, etc)?

You said "NVRAM thing called MSET", but these are two different things to be installed. One is mset.cia, the other is the NVRAM profile. The mset.cia file must be installed using DevMenu and be installed into your sysNand. The NVRAM Profile can be installed via the Gateway launcher, or through GW_INSTALLER.nds on the blue card (though you will need to install bluecardfix.cia as well in order to use the blue card). It sounds like you have installed mset.cia, but not installed the NVRAM profile. Another possibility is that you might have installed mset.cia into your emuNand, which would also cause it to not work correctly.

Hi Typhin,
what i did:

1.Install NVRAM via GW
2.Installed MSET via DevMenu
3.Turned off and on the 3ds (is a reboot possible? how?)
4. Tried DS-Profile --> nothing

Also i cannot install bluecardfix.cia since its not visible/selectable in devmenu

Hmmmmm.....

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Total noob here, Can someone ELI5 me the difference between buying a sky3ds and the actual game? Such as online capabilities and the risks of playing a game on sky 3ds as opposed to buying the game?
Ok. If you buy a sky you can play lots of games for $80, if you buy retail carts you can play 2 games for $80.

If a game has a "play online" button you play online with both the sky and retail cart, when you are old enough probably 13 or so. If you play online with sky you will likely be told you can't do it again for two weeks. Kind of like a time out. This happens because you were a bad boy and stole from Nintendo and got caught.

If you really want to play online you need what is called a "private header" obtained from a retail cart using a Gateway and do all sorts of complex computer stuff to make it work. Best to let Daddy handle that for you.

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Typhin,
what i did:

1.Install NVRAM via GW
2.Installed MSET via DevMenu
3.Turned off and on the 3ds (is a reboot possible? how?)
4. Tried DS-Profile --> nothing

Also i cannot install bluecardfix.cia since its not visible/selectable in devmenu

Hmmmmm.....
When you installed MSET, did you make sure you were on sysNand? When highlighting "BOOT GATEWAY MODE", holding down B will change the text to "BOOT GATEWAY SYSNAND MODE", and pressing A while holding B will cause it to boot your sysNand instead of your emuNand. I'm also not sure why bluecardfix.cia would be missing from DevMenu's list, especially if other .cia files are present.

decreech

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What game is that? I haven't been keeping up apparently. I am not completely sure you can use a retail cart to update emunand. Would have to boot into classic mode. Without confirmation It is safe I would use a rom.

The fw does not need to be updated to play online but the games need to have their latest patches installed.

It's Smash 3DS, in its most recent retail version.

I was surprised to be asked to update that N3DS to 9.5, when I tried to start the game.

WarioBalotelli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
When you installed MSET, did you make sure you were on sysNand? When highlighting "BOOT GATEWAY MODE", holding down B will change the text to "BOOT GATEWAY SYSNAND MODE", and pressing A while holding B will cause it to boot your sysNand instead of your emuNand. I'm also not sure why bluecardfix.cia would be missing from DevMenu's list, especially if other .cia files are present.

When in GW-Mode there is nothing happening when i press B......How do i do that?

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When in GW-Mode there is nothing happening when i press B......How do i do that?
Are you using version 3.2.1 of the launcher? Booting sysNand by holding B was added in that version, to avoid having to use a second SD card. Also, you say "When in GW-Mode", but I'm referring to the Launcher menu (with the options like "Boot Gateway Mode", "Boot Classic Mode", Install NVRAM", etc.). If you're still using Cubic Ninja, it should bring you to the menu automatically since the red card isn't inserted, but if it's booting emuNand directly, you can hold L when performing the exploit to reach the menu.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's Smash 3DS, in its most recent retail version.

I was surprised to be asked to update that N3DS to 9.5, when I tried to start the game.
Are you sure it is specifically asking you to update to 9.5? If so that is very new and you should make a post in the main thread about it. Many people will be very interested in this. I will let you do it so you can get all the glory. :)

Don't update because as I said before I am not positive on what happens when you update by cart in classic mode.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what about games with DLC only content or leaderboards only? should i put headers on those?

decreech

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure it is specifically asking you to update to 9.5? If so that is very new and you should make a post in the main thread about it. Many people will be very interested in this. I will let you do it so you can get all the glory. :)

Don't update because as I said before I am not positive on what happens when you update by cart in classic mode.

Yes, I just checked again, it asks me to update to 9.5-20E before I can play the game. (PAL/GERMAN)

Where should I post this information as well?

blindseer

Past Generation Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are CIA files safe to use online?
At this point, nobody is truly sure if they are safe, but nobody has yet been banned for using them, CIA's use the console id instead of per cart id that game carts have. Thus if Nintendo cross checked the console id vs purchase history it probably wouldn't be safe. But as of yet they haven't.

Reactions: Margen67 and Kuifa

Gelbird

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe I read elsewhere on the forum that trying to make up a card ID doesn't work. In that case, Nintendo has a method they use to generate card IDs that isn't known, and can tell if an ID is "real" or not. However, there isn't anything known that links a given card ID to a specific title, so you only need a single private header which you can then apply to all your games.

To my knowledge, you must confirm any system updates, including updates to the browser. If you can still run DevMenu/BigBlueMenu, you should be able to reinstall the browser version you used before, though. If not, then I don't know enough to be able to help you, unfortunately.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean with this post. When you say "the files are out with the folders still there", I'm assuming you mean that you are referring to icons on the Home Screen, and that they are being moved to the main screen instead of staying in the folders. It sounds like your sysNand and emuNand might still be linked, which would cause them to be using the same files, including the same information on Home Screen layouts. If you could post more information about your setup (sysNand/emuNand versions, old 3DS vs New 3DS vs 2DS, what steps you have and haven't taken yet, etc), we might be able to help more.

As for the NVRAM Profile exploit, yes, that is the only thing removed when running DS mode software (which includes flash cards, retail cards, and DSiWare downloaded/installed onto the system). All saves, CIAs, and everything else will still be present. Use sysNand to run your DS flash card, and then reinstall the NVRAM Profile when you are finished. Some people have gotten theirs to "stick", but haven't narrowed down exactly what causes it to stick for some but not others.
You provided us with lots of problems and questions but provided no information on your current set up in order for anyone to help you.
Sorry for not clarifying I am on 4.2sys/9.7emu 3ds XL and am pretty sure now my sys/emu are linked. That is causing the homescreen folder problem that was not storing my cias. From what I understand I need to back up my emunad because reformatting the sysnand will erase the emunand. I do not know how I linked the sysand and emunand to begin with?

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I just checked again, it asks me to update to 9.5-20E before I can play the game. (PAL/GERMAN)

Where should I post this information as well?
Make a topic in this sub titled something like "new smash cart requires 9.5-20E". and describe your experience. it is possibly this is already known and I missed it but I usually pick up on these kind of things.

Do you get this message even if you do not have an Internet connection? If so that means the cart has 9.5 on it and I think this is the first cart to have the firmware.

Sorry for not clarifying I am on 4.2sys/9.7emu 3ds XL and am pretty sure now my sys/emu are linked. That is causing the homescreen folder problem. From what I understand I need to back up my emunad because reformatting the sysnand will erase the emunand. I do not know how I linked the sysand and emunand to begin with?
When you create/format emunand you create a 1:1 copy of sysnand and they share the same data folder on the internal SD card (linked). To unlink them format either one. Sysnand with the SD card removed. Your choice which one to do, and it will be wiped clean. There will then be two folders in the Nintendo 3Ds folder on the sc card. I like to format sysnand as I don't use it for anything. Some with more advanced setups choose to keep them linked. It is a topic debated many many times in tons of threads.

Make sure you have a backup of both sysnand and emunand. There is a link to Emunand tool on the first post in this thread.

H0D0R

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Topic: Old 3DS-XL (9.7.0-25) & Gateway 3.2.1

Hi All,

Total NOOB here. I've been combing the various forums and Gateway's website and everybody talks about 3.2.1 for the NEW 3DS. So a couple of questions:

1) From what I've read, it looks like my OLD 3DS with 9.7 is supported?
2) The tutorials which I've read seems to be specific to the NEW 3DS. Is the setup process the same for the OLD 3DS? If not, can someone point me to a tutorial or quickly whip up the steps needed to do the setup for the OLD 3DS?

Ordinarily, I would just experiment myself, but the possibility of bricking makes me hesitant.

Eternally grateful!

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Topic: Old 3DS-XL (9.7.0-25) & Gateway 3.2.1

Hi All,

Total NOOB here. I've been combing the various forums and Gateway's website and everybody talks about 3.2.1 for the NEW 3DS. So a couple of questions:

1) From what I've read, it looks like my OLD 3DS with 9.7 is supported?
2) The tutorials which I've read seems to be specific to the NEW 3DS. Is the setup process the same for the OLD 3DS? If not, can someone point me to a tutorial or quickly whip up the steps needed to do the setup for the OLD 3DS?

Ordinarily, I would just experiment myself, but the possibility of bricking makes me hesitant.

Eternally grateful!
Brace yourself for bad news. You are misunderstanding some key specs.

Gateway supports emunand 9.7 on old 3ds not sysnand the official Nintendo firmware. Emuand is created from sysnand and can be updated safely. If your sysnand is above 9.2 gateway will not work. Without a backup sysnand of 9.2 or below made from that console you cannot downgrade sysnand. It will likely be a long time before 9.7 sysnand is supported if ever.

Your only option to play game backups right now with that motherboard is sky3ds. If you have your heart set on gateway you can sell yours and buy an old or new 3ds with exploitable fw.

Btw: good job posting the relevant information needed to answer your question.

tipsytoto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, quick savedatafiler question. I know I can inject a save of pokemon that's i've ripped into a .3ds version of the game using the whole ctr-card crap. Can I inject it into a .cia version of the game? Everytime I've tried it has failed and corrupted the pokemon save so I'm planning on giving up unless someone knows of a solution. Moved from an o3ds to a n3ds. O3ds has 8.1 sysnand 9.7 emunand unlinked. n3ds has 9.2 sysnand and 9.4 emunand unlinked. I used savedatafiler to extract the save from a legit eshop download of pokemon y from the o3ds sysnand. I've read most of the save data thread so I'm really just looking for confirmation that this isn't possible, though I'd love you forever if you prove me wrong.

WarioBalotelli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Are you using version 3.2.1 of the launcher? Booting sysNand by holding B was added in that version, to avoid having to use a second SD card. Also, you say "When in GW-Mode", but I'm referring to the Launcher menu (with the options like "Boot Gateway Mode", "Boot Classic Mode", Install NVRAM", etc.). If you're still using Cubic Ninja, it should bring you to the menu automatically since the red card isn't inserted, but if it's booting emuNand directly, you can hold L when performing the exploit to reach the menu.

Hello Typhin,

thank you for your time reading my babble. Yesterday i checked again and realized i was on GW 3.20 not on 3.21. My fault. With GW-Mode i meant the launcher menu...I´m trying again now should work i think. Another question: I dumped my Retail MH4-Game, where was the dump written? I can´t see it on the 3DS storage

Gaben69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I know i need a Internet connection and Cubic Ninja in order to activate(set up) gateway on a 3ds
Do i need Constant Internet connection in order to play games or just once?
Does Sky3ds Require any Internet connection?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol