Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

EmuNAND can be updated with the last version of the online firmware or it depends on the version of the gateway software you're using? Is it possible to update EmuNAND with a cartridge or is there a risk to update SysNAND instead? (I'm planning on playing Pokemon X that I got along with my 3DS but I don't wanna loose my 4.5 so I'm waiting to receive my gateway, but I'm still very confused in the whole process.)

Also, does the blue card need to be used everytime you turn the 3DS off and then on again (ie, will I have to leave it constantly in sleep mode unless I want to have to install the emunand/update everytime)
EmuNAND can be updated to 7.1 (latest Nintendo version) with GW firmware 2.0b2, or 6.3 with GW firmware 2.0b1. If you're worried about having bricking code on your 3DS, you can install the latest emuNAND (7.1) using 2.0b2, then downgrade to 2.0b1. Although you will lose some functionality (eShop and system settings app).

I don't know if it's possible to update emuNAND with a cartridge. I'd recommend just using wifi.

No, the blue card exploit only needs to be installed once. Same with placing your launcher.dat file on your SD. Afterward, you can launch Gateway or Classic modes through the Nintendo DS profile under system settings with or without either GW cartridge.

JumpingShadow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

So in any case if I want to use emunand to play pokemon X, I'll have to use the 2.0b2 first, right? I assume that using the wifi the only choice is to update to the last firmware, not "any random firmware of my choice" considering it's nintendo.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

So in any case if I want to use emunand to play pokemon X, I'll have to use the 2.0b2 first, right? I assume that using the wifi the only choice is to update to the last firmware, not "any random firmware of my choice" considering it's nintendo.
If you want to play it online, then yes. And yeah, updates emuNAND straight to 7.1 by using wifi. Here's the guide I'd recommend using to get started with 2.0b2:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-play-3ds-games-using-gateway-3ds-the-complete-guide.360176/

DVDVDcz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a question. Will the new Gateway FW update include drag and drop feature (just copying ROMs to microSD - because MultiROM is confirmed) and will there be games saving like in the old DS cards (quick saving, so you do not have to go to menu etc.), where you could actually see saves on microSD card and back them up in your PC? I do not have any card yet but I know MT-card supports this.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
I have a question. Will the new Gateway FW update include drag and drop feature (just copying ROMs to microSD - because MultiROM is confirmed) and will there be games saving like in the old DS cards (quick saving, so you do not have to go to menu etc.), where you could actually see saves on microSD card and back them up in your PC? I do not have any card yet but I know MT-card supports this.

Yeah, they'll be saved to the Mini SD in your card for easy access (from what I understand).

Seqa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Noob question time:

x. Gateway RED card plays 3DS, but can I use the BLUE card like a regular NDS flashcard?

x. Does the BLUE card support multiple nds roms, or is it still just one rom per micro SD?

x. My 3DS came with a 4GB SD card, is this sufficient for all the files that needs to be put on it? (Launcher.dat, anything else?)

x. Said SD card has some stuff on it by now, like a Mii I created in the Mii creator. Is that going to be a problem?
- Do I need to completely format the SD card before adding the launcher.dat?

x. If I use GW firmware 1.2, which NDS roms can and can't I play? Which 3DS roms can and can't I play?

Thanks.:wacko:

hcwdikk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hello,
I have recieved a R4i deluxe today and I'd like to know which firmware is safe to use.
On thier website it says V3.0~V3.3 are unsafe but what about 3.3b? Or should I just use v2.0?
Thanks!

JumpingShadow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey guys,

I just received my gateway today, and I was wondering something. I had seen a pic of the back of the blue card and it had some white number/letters on the red part of the board you can see on the back. Mine doesn't, is it still ok or can it be a fake one?

(I'm probably getting slightly paranoid but you never know)

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here comes a stream of noob questions!

1. Why are the 3ds's keys not easily dumpable like the Wii's were?

2. How are 3ds applications tied to the system? Are they encoded with the NAND? Some people have reported downloading titles from the eShop in emuNAND, and having those titles appear in the sysNAND.

3. Does GW 2.0b1 have soft NAND dumping?

4. Is there a region-free cartridge patch for GW 2.0b1?

Thanks in Advance.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I just received my gateway today, and I was wondering something. I had seen a pic of the back of the blue card and it had some white number/letters on the red part of the board you can see on the back. Mine doesn't, is it still ok or can it be a fake one?

(I'm probably getting slightly paranoid but you never know)

You shouldn't worry, it's probably just slightly different from the original models. Even if it was a clone, Gateway isn't trying to detect clone carts, so you couldn't get bricked.

Reactions: JumpingShadow

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Here comes a stream of noob questions!

1. Why are the 3ds's keys not easily dumpable like the Wii's were?

2. How are 3ds applications tied to the system? Are they encoded with the NAND? Some people have reported downloading titles from the eShop in emuNAND, and having those titles appear in the sysNAND.

3. Does GW 2.0b1 have soft NAND dumping?

4. Is there a region-free cartridge patch for GW 2.0b1?

Thanks in Advance.

1. We haven't discovered the 3DS's encryption keys, so no keys for anyone.

2. They are encrypted using your 3DS's keys, so they only work on your 3DS. Only a few applications downloaded from the eshop work on sysnand, because some are based on a newer firmware.

3. Yes.

4. No, but you could ask Normmatt about it.

Reactions: misterb98

hjezz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Noob question time:

x. Gateway RED card plays 3DS, but can I use the BLUE card like a regular NDS flashcard?

x. Does the BLUE card support multiple nds roms, or is it still just one rom per micro SD?

x. My 3DS came with a 4GB SD card, is this sufficient for all the files that needs to be put on it? (Launcher.dat, anything else?)

x. Said SD card has some stuff on it by now, like a Mii I created in the Mii creator. Is that going to be a problem?
- Do I need to completely format the SD card before adding the launcher.dat?

x. If I use GW firmware 1.2, which NDS roms can and can't I play? Which 3DS roms can and can't I play?

Thanks.:wacko:

1. The blue card is like a cheap r4 card so you can play ds games on the 3ds, yes

2. You get a ds like menu after booting the blue card so, yes

3. 4GB is enough, you only need the launder.dat and...save files when you save?

4. You don't need to format your SD card for putting launcher.dat

5. I think you can play all the nds game as long as you "patch" some games(search around for it) with 1.2 GW I guess your staying on around 4.1-4.5 so all the new games like animal crossing, pokemon x/y and some more that you can't play

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a little notice about region free on 2.0b1.
Gateway themself have announce that you should avoid region free on the 2.0b1, you might get a brick.
They really said that?

Gateway said:
We specifically warn users to:
- Avoid clone Launcher firmware
- Avoid the region-free patches made by Normmatt

They said to avoid it, but the only patch released was for 2.0b2, which causes bricks when modified. as 2.0b1 does not have the problem, I was inquiring if a patch had been made for it. After getting a response of no, I sent a respectful PM to Normatt requesting one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work