• Views 4,446,351
  • Replies 53,769
  • Likes 43

pedreters2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
How do you manage to corrupt a save? Do we know 100% what causes it, so it can be avoided? I've seen many threads with people asking for a saved game after corrupting theirs.

logon

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
How do you manage to corrupt a save? Do we know 100% what causes it, so it can be avoided? I've seen many threads with people asking for a saved game after corrupting theirs.

I would say there are 2 main causes:
  1. The first is interrupting the transfer of files. For example if you turn off the console halfway through saving.
  2. The second is random fragmentation on the SD. Which I don't really understand but it happens.

drichard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello!

I got a link from a friend a few weeks back with Zelda: A Link between Worlds. This meant I had to get a 3DS. So I picked one up with firmware 4.1.0 and ordered a R4i Gold Deluxe. Yesterday I started playing around with it. I started out with not understanding that the profile should go on the SD card inside the 3DS. But eventually I figured this out and was able to crash the 3DS and having it reboot. I started out with using Wood 1.64 and Firmware 3.0. I read this in the manual for the 3.0 firmware: "Note #3: If only for the MH4, Zelda…etc new games playing, you just simply download the firmware 3.0 and copy the “Launcher.dat” to SD card to overwrite the old one, and play the game directly, please do not try the emuNAND feature at the moment because Nintendo updated their eShop and firmware to V7.0.0-13 today(Dec 10th), please wait for our next coming updating for emuNAND ."

This led me to believe that I could just run Zelda without doing the emuNAND. When I put Zelda on the microSD card it popped up on the 3DS and when I tried to run it, it asked me to update to 6.2.0 (might have been 6.3.0). I didn't want to do this for apparent reasons. So I figured I wanted to get a lower firmware game running just to make sure the card would work. But no other game than Zelda popped up on the 3DS. I did a diagnostics test and the FPGA failed. So I tried to read up on that and got answers that it was both fine and not. Late last night I got the idea to try Firmware 2.0. Right away New Super Mario Bros. 2 popped up and I played for a while and it seemed to run fine.

Now to my questions:
Do I need to do the emuNAND to be able to run Zelda even though it said in the manual that I should wait with emuNAND to the next update from R4i?
(I have been trying the EUR version released by CONTRAST.)
I read in the review for R4i Gold Deluxe that it is possible to back up save games, how do I do this?
I have also seen that doing the emuNAND for 7.0.0-13 causes some issues. What issues can I expect?

Sorry if you think this message is too long, just wanted to be thorough.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
-You don't need emuNAND. What you need is the "R4i 3DS Gold Deluxe" Launcher.dat Version 3.0 !
That's all. Version 3.0 works with Zelda without updating and without emuNAND.

It's weird that you got the update prompt, as version 2.0 and 3.0 should prevent the display of that message.
Only Gateway 1.0 (before the first R4i deluxe Launcher.dat version) didn't have protection against update.

Are you sure you used "R4i 3DS Gold Deluxe" Launcher.dat v3.0, and not the "Gateway 3DS" Launcher.dat v1.0? (I don't know if it would work. someone tested that version on R4?)

- To backup save :
Always exit your game using Home button > Exit (X) > Confirm (A)
It will backup the Flashcart's save data to your 3DS's SD Card : GameID.sav

To keep a backup on your computer, put your SD card to computer and copy the .sav files.

- Issues on EmuNAND 7.0.0 with R4i v3.0 (and GW 2.0):
* No access to Settings
* No access to new/updated application (eshop, miiverse, etc.)
* No ROM Region free

drichard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
All right, thank you so much for your perfect response!

I will try Zelda again. I did think it was wierd that I was prompted to update since I have read that it does firmware spoofing. Since I have just gotten it I haven't really figured out how it works yet.

But as I can recall I only ran the DS Profile without holding 'L'. Should I be holding 'L' and select the "Boot r4igold mode"? Or is this the mode it goes to automatically if I just run the 3.0 launcher.dat?

Edit: I tried again with the EUR Zelda and it prompted me to update still. I downloaded a fresh launcher.dat off of r4ids.cn. I did not however hold 'L' to launch it. Still wondering if this is needed or not.

Edit2: I tried with Zelda USA Contrast and it doesn't show up on the 3DS. Without turning it off I tried the EUR version again, and it pops up and prompts for update. I also tried the 'Boot R4igold mode' and the 3DS just hangs.

Edit3: I gave the mirror link on r4ids.cn a shot and it had a different date for creation/modification. But it gave the same result. I went back to 2.0 and NSMB2 and it works fine.

nervx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
noob questions incoming:

1. where are rom saves located? do they save on the SD in the 3ds or on the microsd in the gateway?

2. if im playing a retail cart of Zelda using emuNAND, then later update the real firmware on my 3ds will the save file still work on the Zelda cart or will it get erased/corrupted?

3. if im playing an eshop purchased version of Zelda using emuNAND, then later update the real firmware on my 3ds will the save file still work or will it get erased/corrupted?

4. if I buy Mario kart from the eshop using emuNAND will it show up on my 4.4 firmware 3ds when im not using gateway? can it be played without using the gateway?(I assume the game is patched when downloaded) will going back and forth playing the game using emunand then playing it without gateway corrupt/erase the save file?

5. what triggers the 3ds to check for or download a firmware update? is it the game/app firmware requirement or will it still check if I go online with Mario kart on 4.4 though it doesn't need newer firmware to run? will it try to update firmware when in standby?

6. does using parental controls guarantee the 3ds will never update the firmware and which option do you restrict?

7. best place to buy a gateway that ships to Canada? looking for cheapest price possible with the quickest shipping possible.

drichard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
noob questions incoming:

1. where are rom saves located? do they save on the SD in the 3ds or on the microsd in the gateway?

7. best place to buy a gateway that ships to Canada? looking for cheapest price possible with the quickest shipping possible.

1. Roms saves are located on the SD card in the 3DS. GameID.sav

7. I bought my R4i from http://dwtechz.com/ and I believe the prices are pretty good. They did have a Brack Friday Bunduru Sale when I bought it though. Took about 2 weeks to get it with free shipping.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
While playing, the save is stored inside the Flashcart's own save chipset. In order to backup the flashcart's chipset content to the 3DS SD Card, you need to exit your game using Home > exit (X) > Accept (A).
If you change your game (in microSD card), it will restore the latest save file for that game into the flashcart and overwrite the existing content.
If you are playing the same game than the last time, it will use the save located in the Flashcart and will not restore the save from the SD card. (meaning, if you let the battery die, don't worry, it will not overwrite your last progress with an old backup, as long as you don't change your game after letting the battery die/power down the console/Format SD card)

2. if im playing a retail cart of Zelda using emuNAND, then later update the real firmware on my 3ds will the save file still work on the Zelda cart or will it get erased/corrupted?
Zelda is using the new Save encryption method, therefore if you play that game on EmuNAND Classic it will not use the same encryption than RealNAND6.0.0+, and you will loose your progress. (same problem is yuo start playing on Real NAND and later put it on EmuNAND Classic).

3. if im playing an eshop purchased version of Zelda using emuNAND, then later update the real firmware on my 3ds will the save file still work or will it get erased/corrupted?
I think games/applications downloaded using EmuNAND don't launch on RealNAND. You see the icons, but can't launch them. If you go to Data Management in your RealNAND Settings they will be deleted.
Game updates/patches downloaded on EmuNAND are working on RealNAND. They will be deleted if you go to DataManagement too.

4. if I buy Mario kart from the eshop using emuNAND will it show up on my 4.4 firmware 3ds when im not using gateway? can it be played without using the gateway?(I assume the game is patched when downloaded) will going back and forth playing the game using emunand then playing it without gateway corrupt/erase the save file?
It will show up. You can't play it without EmuNAND. I don't know about playing it in Gateway mode without EmuNAND (Someone has to test and report!).

5. what triggers the 3ds to check for or download a firmware update? is it the game/app firmware requirement or will it still check if I go online with Mario kart on 4.4 though it doesn't need newer firmware to run? will it try to update firmware when in standby?
The 3DS periodically check for an update. if Wifi is enabled, it will download the new update. It will also download when in Standby, and when you enable streetpass (even without any network settings).

6. does using parental controls guarantee the 3ds will never update the firmware and which option do you restrict?
I think that restriction was removed. Someone can confirm?

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I can confirm point 6.

Furthermore, as for point 3 and 4... Isn't it so that one can redownload games on the realNAND that they purchased on the emuNAND? I'm not sure, but I believe I read something like that...
If you can redownload it, then you can make it work on realNAND. ...This doesn't help much in answering his questions, because the save file won't be reusable, but I thought it was good to have this clarified.

hjezz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello again another Noob question :)
With the recently pokemon patch 1.2 I read you need too get the update on eshop. So since GW 2beta can't connect too eshop does that mean I can't do anything online?

Hitsuagaya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey quick question, 4.4 is usable with the r4i clone right ?? I mean I just read that you need 4.5 but that can't be right.. right? I mean as long as its between 4.1-4.5 sys vers??

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Could someone test Region Free/update spoofing patches with this setup?

- R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe/3DS Link
- Real NAND: 4.1.0
- Emu NAND: 4.2.0+

As there are report 1 2 that it doesn't work on RealNAND 4.1.0, but I don't know if using an updated EmuNAND fix the problem.

And can someone confirm that
- GW2.0b1
- Real NAND: 4.1.0
is working fine with region/update patch?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto