• Views 4,467,252
  • Replies 53,775
  • Likes 43

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi all, I have a general question regarding 3ds homebrew and their developers. I've seen the time and effort developers put into their work and it's amazing, but what inspires the developers to release their work for free/even at all? I know that there may be a bias to this question as this is the gbatemp community after all but I would like to know more about this as its an amazing way to share art amongst people for free. So to make any answers easier to process I tried brainstorming some things already and listed them for replies:

A) Developers could put time and effort into selling their products but that would involve resources that would be much more than what the product offers
B) It's a way for developers to hone their skills in side projects
C) Does inspiration come from users testing and benefitting from their work or is the demand from us so great that it's actually slowing down development? Is it ok to even demand a product/better update when it's free?

Bonus: anything that I have missed

I find it amazing that art can be distributed so easily and free to a community and want to know more, it's noob paradise after all. Please PM me if that's a better place to discuss
While I'm not a 3DS dev, I've done some game modding and tutorials among other various things.

A) The way I think of it is, you produce something in the hope that it will lead to others producing something. Sometimes it's due to somebody else releasing something, which leads you to into making something yourself. If you enjoy what you're doing, it really shouldn't be about money. Overall, releasing your work for free helps the community to learn and grow.

B) This is true. Devs, modders, and pretty much everyone doing something as a hobby enjoy improving. Learning is a big aspect of it as well. You'll likely learn something new while working on these projects, which helps you to improve.

C) This depends on the dev. Some people love seeing people using and asking about their work. Others start getting annoyed after getting bombarded with the same or stupid questions, which causes them to lose desire to work on their project. Demanding a better product isn't ok. The dev released it for free, and they don't owe anybody anything. Making suggestions is ok though (i.e. "Hurry up and do this!" is not ok; "it would be cool if you added this!" is ok).

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Naw, on 10.3, he doesn't have to do a hard mod.
Yes, hard mod implies opening your 3ds, then soldering some stuf

But on 10.3, he can downgrade sysnand again
Assume he isn't Brower locked, has menuhax or any other hax
Ah, ok, thanks!
Just another question then: He's been trying to do the sysnand method thru the browser-homebrew channel, but it keeps freezing,
even when it gets to 9 and he has to press Y. Is there any way to make it work better or something or do we have to be extremely lucky?

YyAoMmIi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, ok, thanks!
Just another question then: He's been trying to do the sysnand method thru the browser-homebrew channel, but it keeps freezing,
even when it gets to 9 and he has to press Y. Is there any way to make it work better or something or do we have to be extremely lucky?
Lucky
I took be 2 hours to get it successfully
9? Which sysupdater are you using? Best to use safesysupdater anyways

Darren Tickle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You can't tell which version you're on, you have to know which version you downloaded.

It's really easy to update, you just replace files.

Thanks!

Is is possible to install an ftp program to run from the 3ds menu?

When i boot into homebrew launcher for some reason my wifi doesnt work even though the light is on, anyway to fix this? Just had a thought guess it needs the wifi on sysnand? Can you use emunand settings?

toby1978

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My emunand is running RX3D 10.5.0-30U and my sysnand is running Ver. 7.2.0-17U. I am unable to load any cias from my sysnand and its telling me to re-download from the eshop and I am also being prompted to do system update! The only CIA i have on here is Mario Gold: World Tour. The game works fine on emunand! Can someone please enlighten this noob on what I should do? Also is there a way to start your 3ds right into the emunand? Thanks!!!

Sqall

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,i need little help my 3ds is 4.5.0-10e it is an old firmware so i dont know how to update it to 9.2 cfw thanks in advance.

And sorry for my bad english.

thedude28

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My emunand is running RX3D 10.5.0-30U and my sysnand is running Ver. 7.2.0-17U. I am unable to load any cias from my sysnand and its telling me to re-download from the eshop and I am also being prompted to do system update! The only CIA i have on here is Mario Gold: World Tour. The game works fine on emunand! Can someone please enlighten this noob on what I should do? Also is there a way to start your 3ds right into the emunand? Thanks!!!

You can only play CIAs on emunand. You can use CTRBootManager to coldboot into emunand, it's the closest thing to directly booting into it.

gameking66

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having a lot of coldboot troubles... I just want to coldboot rxTools 3.0 emuNAND ;_;
  • 9.2 SYSNAND / Latest EMUNAND
  • Launching rxTools via Browser
  • Installed MenuHax -> Boots HBL
  • Tried changing payload to different 3dsx file -> rxTools itself boots but rxmode fails with a NATIVE_FIRM error and "Installation Failed".
  • I can boot HBL BUT I can't run ANY CFW from there because it fails with various errors.
  • BootCTR (with offset and without) runs into the same issue as above -> "Installation Failed" and NATIVE_FIRM error when trying to boot afterwards.
  • Booting RxMode from Browser to both SYSNAND and EMUNAND works without issue.
What am I doing wrong here? If I resort to using the BrowserHax I can successfully boot both RX SYSNAND and EMUNAND without issue.

thedude28

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Having a lot of coldboot troubles... I just want to coldboot rxTools 3.0 emuNAND ;_;
  • 9.2 SYSNAND / Latest EMUNAND
  • Launching rxTools via Browser
  • Installed MenuHax -> Boots HBL
  • Tried changing payload to different 3dsx file -> rxTools itself boots but rxmode fails with a NATIVE_FIRM error and "Installation Failed".
  • I can boot HBL BUT I can't run ANY CFW from there because it fails with various errors.
  • BootCTR (with offset and without) runs into the same issue as above -> "Installation Failed" and NATIVE_FIRM error when trying to boot afterwards.
  • Booting RxMode from Browser to both SYSNAND and EMUNAND works without issue.
What am I doing wrong here? If I resort to using the BrowserHax I can successfully boot both RX SYSNAND and EMUNAND without issue.

What are you booting from BootCTR? code.bin? Or the RxTools 3dsx file?

gameking66

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are you booting from BootCTR? code.bin? Or the RxTools 3dsx file?
code.bin, but I have tried both.

Could it be because I used EmuNAND9 to create the SysNAND? Do I perhaps need to redo it using RxTools for the EmuNAND creation (however, this does NOT explain why I can boot RxMode fine on both NANDs via Browser)?

Last edited by gameking66,

thedude28

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
code.bin, but I have tried both.

Could it be because I used EmuNAND9 to create the SysNAND? Do I perhaps need to redo it using RxTools for the EmuNAND creation (however, this does NOT explain why I can boot RxMode fine on both NANDs via Browser)?

No it just looks like BootCTR is refusing to work with you. You've tried code.bin with offset right? If you have and it still doesn't work then I have no idea.

thedude28

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys- i have a red/blue gateway and everything works great, minus using the blue card. Can you use the blue card normally to play DS roms without having to re-patch NVRAM everytime? Im on a O3DS firmware 4.2.
Also, is it possible to use the blue card in emuNAND? Whenever I try to launch it, or my pokemon fire-red CIA, it never launches. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes you can use your blue card normally, you just stick the DS Exploit.

What makes you think it is BootCTR and not something with rxTools?

Well, if you can run it fine from the browser, then RxTools itself is fine.

But wait, you can't launch RxTools through HBL? What errors do you get?

thedude28

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Identical errors via HBL.

Okay I think it's the payload.

I'm sure you're using RxTools nightlies (aka 3.0beta), so you should have the latest Emunand (on O3DS i'm assuming?)
If RxTools itself is fine (you can boot into emunand one way or another), then it has to do something with HBL, as HBL should be able to boot into RxTools fine.
If you can't boot into any CFW with HBL (or menuhax/BootCTR, they use the same payload), then I think you have an outdated payload.

gameking66

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I think it's the payload.

I'm sure you're using RxTools nightlies (aka 3.0beta), so you should have the latest Emunand (on O3DS i'm assuming?)
If RxTools itself is fine (you can boot into emunand one way or another), then it has to do something with HBL, as HBL should be able to boot into RxTools fine.
If you can't boot into any CFW with HBL (or menuhax/BootCTR, they use the same payload), then I think you have an outdated payload.
How can I go about verifying and updating the payload?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: exactly my point