• Views 4,459,829
  • Replies 53,774
  • Likes 43

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
heya everyone,
i need help with my 3DS because i'm out of ideas...

I received a Pokémon Ultra Moon Rom from good a friend that he dumped for me, but the problem is that its the 4.2GB 3DS File...

I sadly can't convert it to CIA using my OG3DS, so now my question is:
How do i either split the File or Trim it properly using my PC, if possible so that i can finally convert it on my 3DS?

I have a 32GB SD-Card ready to go, GM9, Luma and B9S installed already on my Blue 3DS (OG, Small)
and i'm using Windows 10 on my PC...

Is there any tool or method to trim/split 3DS Files for Windows or would that be Linux-Only?
One thing that you could do is simply archive it using winrar and extracting it on the sd card, still using windows

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One thing that you could do is simply archive it using winrar and extracting it on the sd card, still using windows
That's not going to work. It is impossible to write a file larger than 4 GB to a FAT32 SD card, no matter what you use.

I forget what the best solution to the problem is, aside from not creating a .3DS dump of a cartridge in the first place.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
That's not going to work. It is impossible to write a file larger than 4 GB to a FAT32 SD card, no matter what you use.

I forget what the best solution to the problem is, aside from not creating a .3DS dump of a cartridge in the first place.
I tried it right now since I wasn't exactly sure it would work and it doesn't. One thing I noticed is that filezilla did let me start transferring the .3ds file on the sd card, I didn't have time to let it run since it was slow but it was copying it to the sd card, it copied 40 mb when I stoped it

Anyway from what I remember some .3ds have some junk data or something like that so it could be trimmed, also there's a tool called 3dsconv which also shrinks the cia files and it's for windows https://github.com/ihaveamac/3dsconv
Just download the exe, drag the .3ds file and it automatically converts it

Solidplasma

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey folks. I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me figure out a cheat code for Pokemon Ultra Moon using a different cheat code as a base? I'm kinda struggling.

I'm using this code on Ultra Moon Version 1.0 via the last released build of Citra Nightly. It guarantees critical hits against all opponents. I'm trying to create one that does the reverse and causes all opponents move to crit, while leaving my own unmodified. I have my reasons, I'm not JUST a masochist.

[Always critical hit v1.0] 58087E30 E59D0000 50667018 00000000 00667018 00000010 D0000000 00000000 D0000000 00000000 60667018 00000000 D9000000 00667018 D4000000 FFFFFFFF D6000000 00667018 D0000000 00000000 D3000000 00000000 50667018 00000001 08105F50 E59D0000 08105F54 E92D401E 08105F58 E59A1008 08105F5C E2813004 08105F60 E281401C 08105F64 E4932004 08105F68 E1500002 08105F6C 03A01001 08105F70 058D1018 08105F74 E1530004 08105F78 1AFFFFF9 08105F7C E8BD801E 08087E30 EB01F846 D0000000 00000000

Any help would be appreciated.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I received a Pokémon Ultra Moon Rom from good a friend that he dumped for me, but the problem is that its the 4.2GB 3DS File...
We need to use accurate names here: GiB = 10243 bytes. As far as I know there is not such thing as a 4.2GiB .3ds file. Again we have to be precise here:
4,294,967,295 bytes (232 -1) is the maximum file size for FAT32.

If the full ROM got dumped with GodMode9 it already was on a FAT32 formatted SD, which means it can't have exceeded that limit. I've never looked at the actual size of a 4GiB 3DS cart (if it has exactly (232 bytes) but I'd assume throwing away the last byte wouldn't harm.[/SUP]
GodMode9 can convert the ROM to .cia format (or just insert the cart and install it right away without dumping).

Somehow I get the feeling there will never be a reply on this.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
We need to use accurate names here: GiB = 10243 bytes. As far as I know there is not such thing as a 4.2GiB .3ds file. Again we have to be precise here:
4,294,967,295 bytes (232 -1) is the maximum file size for FAT32.

If the full ROM got dumped with GodMode9 it already was on a FAT32 formatted SD, which means it can't have exceeded that limit. I've never looked at the actual size of a 4GiB 3DS cart (if it has exactly (232 bytes) but I'd assume throwing away the last byte wouldn't harm.[/SUP]
GodMode9 can convert the ROM to .cia format (or just insert the cart and install it right away without dumping).

Somehow I get the feeling there will never be a reply on this.
I think it might have been dumped using Gateway and be an older rom file. From what I gathered that rom contains some padding and that's why it gets converted from a 4.2 Gb .3ds to a 3.6/3.7 Gb .cia file. That's my main reasoning that it was dumped via gateway. From what I read 3ds carts have fixed sizes, if a game is 2.5gb it will use a 4 gb chip cart and use 0s for the rest of the 1.5gb until it reaches 4gb. The same with a 2gb one, if the game is 1.2gb then the rest of 800 mb gets 0ed until it reaches 2gb, so maybe the 4.2gb game was because of the cart and gateway dumping it adding an additional 200mb of padding, probably a bug or something

Last edited by zekro94,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If the full ROM got dumped with GodMode9 it already was on a FAT32 formatted SD, which means it can't have exceeded that limit.
Oh, right, good point.

I've never looked at the actual size of a 4GiB 3DS cart (if it has exactly (232 bytes) but I'd assume throwing away the last byte wouldn't harm.
I seem to recall people have resorted to that method in the past.

ScowlingZebra29

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I recently saw a video on some things that you can do with your 3ds/2ds and there was a clock/fps overlay that they had. They did have it linked but when I followed the instructions from multiple sources, I tried to get it to work but it wasn't doing its thing. I have ntr on my 2ds, I put the .plg file in the plugin\00040000001D1400 folder (Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story), turn on my 2ds, open ntr, go back to home and check if it's working with X + Y (the menu shows up), but then when I open the game afterward the menu stops working, no plugins load, there's no green flash, it just seemingly goes back to if I didn't even run the app in the first place. Does anyone have a clue as to what's going on?

Edit: Here's the video I was talking about:

spitefulcrow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! there I have an arm11 exception error after deleting a Japanese NNID account on the 3ds through godmode9 and it will not go away any recommendations on what to do? thanks!

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi! there I have an arm11 exception error after deleting a Japanese NNID account on the 3ds through godmode9 and it will not go away any recommendations on what to do? thanks!
Don't post the same question in multiple places; it just makes things confusing.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/arm11-e...anged-new-3ds-xl-through-godmode9-fix.653027/
Post automatically merged:

Edit: Here's the video I was talking about:
Like most Youtubers, I'm not sure he really bothers to get all the facts straight.

I put the .plg file in the plugin\00040000001D1400 folder (Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story)
The video (and likewise https://www.gamebrew.org/wiki/Clock_&_FPS_with_menu_3DS and https://github.com/44670/ntr_overlay_samples) suggest using the plugin\game folder, so it seems that would be a good place to start.

Last edited by Kwyjor,

ScowlingZebra29

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like most Youtubers, I'm not sure he really bothers to get all the facts straight.

The video suggests using the plugin\game folder, so it seems that would be a good place to start.
There was no \game folder in the plugin folder. I made a game folder and put the plg file in it and it didn't work. So I thought that putting the id of the game as the folder name would help and the same happened. I'm not sure as to what to do at this point.

There's no green flash after running the game. Ntr stops working after booting up a game. (I'm using a 2ds)

ScowlingZebra29

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is not meaningful. What version are you running, exactly? Where did you get it from? These details are important.
v2.13.7, from this GitHub page. The Mode3 version.

github<dotcom here because the website is being annoying>/Nanquitas/BootNTR/releases
Post automatically merged:

That is not meaningful. What version are you running, exactly? Where did you get it from? These details are important.
So, I just found out that NTRMode3 is for games that require more resources, so it was the reason why the green flash wasn't happening when I booted up Bowser's Inside Story. The normal NTR version is for any game that doesn't require any extra resources that a 2DS or 3DS can handle. Though now I'm stuck on the Nintendo3DS loading screen or something like that?

Edit: any folder/file except for inside the game folder seems to cause the 3ds loop
Another edit: it's happening even after removing all the files except for the PLG file in the game folder.. I don't know what's going on. This has only happened when I got it working, I stopped the game because I went into the ntr menu while in the game and messed up the sprites somehow. closed the game and tried to reopen it only to be met with the endless Nintendo 3ds loading screen again.

Attachments

• 20240404_161034.jpg
    20240404_161034.jpg
    825.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by ScowlingZebra29,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It is of course entirely possible that this plugin will never work with Bowser's Inside Story, especially since it doesn't seem to have been updated in seven years. You should probably try to get it working with the games demonstrated in the video first.

ScowlingZebra29

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is of course entirely possible that this plugin will never work with Bowser's Inside Story, especially since it doesn't seem to have been updated in seven years. You should probably try to get it working with the games demonstrated in the video first.
It works, just have to boot up the normal version and then the game. make sure no other files are in the plugin folder besides the game folder and whatever's in it

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It works, just have to boot up the normal version and then the game. make sure no other files are in the plugin folder besides the game folder and whatever's in it
normal ntr will only allow for one game open. then you gotta fully reset the console. And the game bowsers inside story. it is noticeable that the sprites will disappear for that title. which is why the codes are layed out differently.

ScowlingZebra29

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
normal ntr will only allow for one game open. then you gotta fully reset the console. And the game bowsers inside story. it is noticeable that the sprites will disappear for that title. which is why the codes are layed out differently.
That makes sense now, didn't know you could play only one game once before you had to reset the console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think