• Views 4,444,189
  • Replies 53,769
  • Likes 43

DeadOneWalking

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully this has a straight forward solution and answer.
I have a "New" 2DS, and would like to get a flash card for ONLY DS titles. I don't want to use a CFW, and I am running 11.8.-41
1. If I do this, am I at risk of having my system or ID banned?
2. Assuming that there is no risk, what would be a good flash cart for this? From what I have seen in terms of cost and functionality, the R4i Gold 3DS Plus looks like it would be perfect for me.

Eruvala

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reposting here from other thread as this place may be more appropriate.

This guide https://3ds.hacks.guide left me confused since it says NOT to manually install ntr boot with my R4I Gold Plus, which makes sense because it has its own toggle function to switch between modes, but it doesn't offer an alternative / a path for installing, well really anything with a card that comes "pre-installed" with thr flash function. I read till the end anyway to see if the pieces would all come together but to be honest I am more lost now then when I started. Here is what I have:
A 2DS XL on 11.5 software, a 16 gb micro sd (empty), a 32 gb micro sd (empty), the standard 4 gb micro sd that comes with the 2ds xl and finally the R4i Gold Plus cartridge.

I understand one is not meant to ask for hand holding but if I read the gude and have been warned not to trust you tube then what more can I do? I just tried simply switching my cartridge to ntr boot mode and held the magnet for sleep mode, booted the device holding the right buttons but it stayed in sleep mode and when I moved magnet its just the regular boot menu.

Please help if you can guys.

Andalitez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can I tell if a CIA game requires a seed in order to work?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This guide https://3ds.hacks.guide left me confused since it says NOT to manually install ntr boot with my R4I Gold Plus, which makes sense because it has its own toggle function to switch between modes, but it doesn't offer an alternative / a path for installing, well really anything with a card that comes "pre-installed" with thr flash function. I read till the end anyway to see if the pieces would all come together but to be honest I am more lost now then when I started. Here is what I have:
A 2DS XL on 11.5 software, a 16 gb micro sd (empty), a 32 gb micro sd (empty), the standard 4 gb micro sd that comes with the 2ds xl and finally the R4i Gold Plus cartridge.

I understand one is not meant to ask for hand holding but if I read the gude and have been warned not to trust you tube then what more can I do? I just tried simply switching my cartridge to ntr boot mode and held the magnet for sleep mode, booted the device holding the right buttons but it stayed in sleep mode and when I moved magnet its just the regular boot menu.

I know you said you have the R4 cart, but instead of going through all that trouble,why not just update to the latest FW and use the seedminer method? It costs a few extra bucks however it's really easy to do

Eruvala

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok heres an easier way to find out if I am screwed. When you take a brand new r4i gold plus out of its packaging and pop it in your device, not in ntrboot but regular mode, is there suppose to be an icon of a random game? Cause I did this and nothing at all. It thinks there is no card inserted. Maybe the card is faulty?

undeon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Guys, sorry for my question, but I'm totally lost here. I haven't played my N3DS for a long time. I'm on firmware 11.2.0-35U and using Luma3DS. I BELIEVE I've used A9LH, but I'm not sure... What I have to do to update everything?

hwarfshano

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This guide left me confused since it says NOT to manually install ntr boot with my R4I Gold Plus, which makes sense because it has its own toggle function to switch between modes, but it doesn't offer an alternative / a path for installing, well really anything with a card that comes "pre-installed" with thr flash function. I read till the end anyway to see if the pieces would all come together but to be honest I am more lost now then when I started. Here is what I have:

I had the same issue at first. Make sure the switch is all the way over. My switch was not completely in boot mode which caused that issue. To be sure make sure that you can not see the cartridge with chinese letters on the home screen.
Keep the sd card with all the files in the 2DS under the cover, not in the flash cart. Make sure the magnet is under the B button in the correct spot. (i used a 3dsXL. I assume it is the same)

Hold all the buttons except power firmly. Then while these are all held down properly and the magnet did not move, hold the power button without letting go of the others. Should work.
If not, then you probably have something wrong with the files on the sd card. Post a screen shot of the sd card contents if it still does not work.

Eruvala

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had the same issue at first. Make sure the switch is all the way over. My switch was not completely in boot mode which caused that issue. To be sure make sure that you can not see the cartridge with chinese letters on the home screen.
Keep the sd card with all the files in the 2DS under the cover, not in the flash cart. Make sure the magnet is under the B button in the correct spot. (i used a 3dsXL. I assume it is the same)

Hold all the buttons except power firmly. Then while these are all held down properly and the magnet did not move, hold the power button without letting go of the others. Should work.
If not, then you probably have something wrong with the files on the sd card. Post a screen shot of the sd card contents if it still does not work.

the issue might be deeper since in regular mode, which I made sure its 100% by pushing it with a toothpick there is no icon with chinese letters. I think the card is sinply not being read :/

Is there something you are meant to do to see it or should it display the chinese icon right out of the package? Cause mine doesn't making it seem like the card is unreadable, it thinks the slot is empty. (tested in my old 3ds and same thing happens)

edit:
To be clear here is what I did on getting my card. I have a vanilla 2ds XL on firmware 11.5 with a microSD in that the system came with. I took the R4i Gold Plus out of the package and inserted into the 2ds xl. I booted up and nothing. No icon or anything as if it was empty. Then I thought maybe You need the kernal on a seperate SD for it to read so I got my 16GB sd and put the latest kernal from the official site in the card, and inserted it into the catridge. Booted up still, nothing. I then said "maybe its a dud but the NTRBOOT will work. So I reset both micro SD cards, restarted so the 2ds xl would re-apply the vanilla files to the systems micro SD and then followed the guide on 3ds guide hack. Still no luck after hours of trouble shooting. I think the card is just faulty at this point but I really don't know. I will try with the tooth pick once more maybe I am being overly delicate.

Last edited by Eruvala,

tchinfsun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah you should format it before running the test.

Hey.
Took me a while but I manage to run the tests with h2testw. No errors, so I kept using the same SD card.

I followed the instructions in the Finalizing Setup link you posted, but still it doesn't work.

I followed through section I, but when I inserted the SD card back into the 3DS I still get the same single flash in the blue LED.
Something I noticed is that my SD card is not the same as the screenshot in the section I of the guide. The screenshot shows folders such as "Nintendo 3DS" and "boot9strap" and the files "boot.3dsx", "boot.firm", "otherapp.bin" and "safehaxpayload.bin".

Is there something prior to following the Finalizing Setup guide that I should've done?

Thanks again.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hey.
Took me a while but I manage to run the tests with h2testw. No errors, so I kept using the same SD card.

I followed the instructions in the Finalizing Setup link you posted, but still it doesn't work.

I followed through section I, but when I inserted the SD card back into the 3DS I still get the same single flash in the blue LED.
Something I noticed is that my SD card is not the same as the screenshot in the section I of the guide. The screenshot shows folders such as "Nintendo 3DS" and "boot9strap" and the files "boot.3dsx", "boot.firm", "otherapp.bin" and "safehaxpayload.bin".

Is there something prior to following the Finalizing Setup guide that I should've done?

Thanks again.
How long ago did you hack it originally? If in the last year you should get boot.firm version 9.1 from https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases and put it on your SD card and also boot.3dsx. If this isn't in finalizing-setup then you should find it here https://github.com/fincs/new-hbmenu/releases/latest
If older, try putting boot.firm from 7.1 and see if it boots, or arm9loaderhax.bin from version 7.0.5. One of those will work. If this is the case let me know and I'll tell you what to do next.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

LordRahl72

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 3DS that is on 11.3.0 and just installed the latest luma. My 3DS is constantly nagging me to update to the latest firmware. Is it safe to apply this update? If so can I just let it update normally from Nintendo? And is there a reason for me not to update?

I know a thing or two about the switch and other console mods but with the 3DS I am officially the personification of NOOB.

fetknol

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'm sorry if this question has been answered before but I couln't find any definitive answer.

I recently found my old "pandora 3ds" flashcard which I bought years ago without really knowing what it was. I never used but now I wan't to try again. From my understanding I need some firmware for the card to function but the problem I face is that the website on the flashcard is no longer up and therefore I cannot find the required files.

I found thread that had a download link from which I downloaded a .rar file which i could not extract using 7.zip (corrupted)

So I was wondering if there is anywhere left where i can find the firmware or if im just handling the .rar file wrong?
If you have a link please send it to me.

Thanks

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
I have a 3DS that is on 11.3.0 and just installed the latest luma. My 3DS is constantly nagging me to update to the latest firmware. Is it safe to apply this update? If so can I just let it update normally from Nintendo? And is there a reason for me not to update?

I know a thing or two about the switch and other console mods but with the 3DS I am officially the personification of NOOB.

If you say you have Luma 9.1, then you can update. No reason to stay on a lower firmware.

bomboy2121

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
does useing fbi to import seed to a cia i donwloaded online will get me banned from online play?
and how can i update that cia?

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Hello, I ordered New Nintendo 2ds XL with R4i Gold 3ds plus chip. Also samsung evo 32 sdhc micro sd card.
I guess my new nintendo 2ds xl will be 11.8 version. I heard the freeshop is down, so I'm planning to download cia files on internet and directly put it in my sd card and install it. I have a few questions. I'd be glad if you could answer my questions.

1. What I know is that 3ds/2ds does not support sdxc micro sd card. If I format it to fat32, will it support?
2. After I got all my stuff using NTRBOOT, what if I change my sd card to other sd card? Will it still maintain the custom firmware version of nintendo?
Only the data like downloaded games change, am I right?
3. After i got all my stuff using NTRBOOT, is it ok to remove the r4i chip? Will it still maintain the custom firmware version of nintendo?
4. Is it able to reuse the r4i chip to NTRBOOT other nintendo machine?
5. There's a NAND backup process. If my nintendo gets any problems, will the backup help? I'm not quite sure about it.
6. What's the difference between SysNand and EmuNand? It's the only thing I don't understand.

Last edited by 40142047,

klim28

Hunter4Life
Trophies
XP
Country
Reposting... Needing help. Following instructions on guide and stuck since Sunday

Heed help. I am in the process of cfw my New 3DS XL Japan version and getting error on the TADpole Online site part. My DSiware for the exploit is the free one from the eShop. But when I use that on the TADpole site, it says GAME NOT COMPATIBLE.

Please tag or quote me. Any fix or work around for this. Thanks

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
Hello, I ordered New Nintendo 2ds XL with R4i Gold 3ds plus chip. Also samsung evo 32 sdhc micro sd card.
I guess my new nintendo 2ds xl will be 11.8 version. I heard the freeshop is down, so I'm planning to download cia files on internet and directly put it in my sd card and install it. I have a few questions. I'd be glad if you could answer my questions.

1. What I know is that 3ds/2ds does not support sdxc micro sd card. If I format it to fat32, will it support?
2. After I got all my stuff using NTRBOOT, what if I change my sd card to other sd card? Will it still maintain the custom firmware version of nintendo?
Only the data like downloaded games change, am I right?
3. After i got all my stuff using NTRBOOT, is it ok to remove the r4i chip? Will it still maintain the custom firmware version of nintendo?
4. Is it able to reuse the r4i chip to NTRBOOT other nintendo machine?
5. There's a NAND backup process. If my nintendo gets any problems, will the backup help? I'm not quite sure about it.
6. What's the difference between SysNand and EmuNand? It's the only thing I don't understand.
1-Yes it will.
2-Yes, the modifications are on the system itself, not on the SD card.
3-You mean remove the card? If so, yes you can remove it.
4-Yes.
5-If it's software damage it could prove useful.
6-SysNAND is run from your console, EmuNAND is run from your SD card. It's not needed to have an EmuNAND anymore, nor is it useful for the end user.

Reactions: 40142047

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
1-Yes it will.
2-Yes, the modifications are on the system itself, not on the SD card.
3-You mean remove the card? If so, yes you can remove it.
4-Yes.
5-If it's software damage it could prove useful.
6-SysNAND is run from your console, EmuNAND is run from your SD card. It's not needed to have an EmuNAND anymore, nor is it useful for the end user.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help.

Reactions: NFates

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)