Kinqdra

GBAtemp's Official T-shirt
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Hey, so I performed a region change on my JPN 3DS (to EU). After completing all the steps, all my previously installed cias were gone... The thing is, I had over 200 cias installed.. are there really all gone? Will I have to install them all again? Also, if so, it should definitely be added to the guide as a precaution before people attempt something like it..

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, so I performed a region change on my JPN 3DS (to EU). After completing all the steps, all my previously installed cias were gone... The thing is, I had over 200 cias installed.. are there really all gone? Will I have to install them all again? Also, if so, it should definitely be added to the guide as a precaution before people attempt something like it..
it says that you format your console... and iirc it says to make backups before attempting.

Kinqdra

GBAtemp's Official T-shirt
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Last edited by Kinqdra,

Des_Kaje

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi all,

I'm almost ready to install arm9loaderhax. I'm quite excited about it, but hope I don't make any stupid mistakes and brick my system. Regarding this, I have a question: once I've installed A9LH, can/should I update my Sysnand? Thing is, I would like to play DQVII (which needs at least 10.7), plus I would like to be able to enter the e-shop. I'm also wondering if I can keep updating my sysnand in the future, for example when 12.x is released (if ever), or would this possibly mess up A9LH? Any thoughts?

I've read on Reddit that you cannot update your sysnand after installing A9LH when you've flashed your emuNAND backup to sysNAND... not sure whether this is a reliable source, and whether it's true or not.

As always, thanks a bunch! I appreciate all the help I've received over the last few days and am very excited to install my first CFW! :)

Last edited by Des_Kaje,

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've read on Reddit that you cannot update your sysnand after installing A9LH when you've flashed your emuNAND backup to sysNAND... not sure whether this is a reliable source, and whether it's true or not.
this is completely false; you can update, and you're told to update near the end of it.

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Des_Kaje

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is what I would do.

• Install a9lh using the 16GB card
  • In the optional section for flashing your emuNAND backup to sysNAND, when you are making a backup of the emuNAND and it says you can swap SD cards, swap for the 4GB one with the emuNAND.
  • Copy the backup it makes to the 16GB card.
  • Go back to the 16GB one when it's time to flash the emuNAND to sysNAND.

Sounds like a solid plan, but how would this work exactly? I can't find the part that says you can swap cards (did you mean this is said in Plailects guide, or is this something you see on your 3DS screen when you actually do it?). I was wondering: would this method work, since alle the files that I used following Plailect's guide are on my 16GB SD, not my 4GB SD? And if this somehow does work, how would I recognize my emunand backup on my 4GB SD after this is done - doe it have a particular filename or extension?

Regarding this, I have a last question; Plailect's guide Part 3 Section IV tells me that it's time to 'follow move Rednand'. I couldn't find the 'move Rednand' part in the guide I downloaded, but I found it on https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Move-RedNAND (assuming that's the right one). I understand the steps, but I'm not sure what to do after completing the steps in the link. The link says "Continue from Part 3 - arm9loaderhax - Section V - Injecting FBI", but it does this mean I should simply skip steps 1 to 10 in Part 3 Section IV of Plailects guide? It is actually this part that seems important, since Part 3 Section IV of Plailects specifically tells you to update sysnand, while this would not be the case if you follow the 'Move Rednand' link and then continue with Part 3 Section V (injecting FBI). I hope I'm making myself clear, since it's all very confusing to me, tbh. If restoring my Emunand turns out to be too much of a hassle, I might just skip it, since I've understood that it doesn't really matter anyway... I've backed up my GateWay .sav files and intend to inject them into the .cia files of the same game once I've installed those.

Again, thanks in advance for your help.

this is completely false; you can update, and you're told to update near the end of it.

Thanks for confirming!

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I have a small doubt.

Can you use a CTR transfer to get to 9.2 through decrypt9 from mset(flashcart)?
a friend of mine still has rxtools sysnand 4.5+emunand 10.3 (yeah i know, old. he's scared to do it because his system used to be mine and i was the one to hack it for him)
I manually updated using plailect guide to 9.2 using sysupdater. But that in itself wasn't really so straight forward, and he wants the simplest solution to get himself up to 9.2, switch to luma+menuhax with the least problems...

Can anyone help here? People usually tell others to ask here and not create new threads, but posts get easily buried otherwise, apparently.

I was thinking of something along:
1- boot decrypt9wip either via browserhax or mset payload as decrypt9.nds (if newer ctr transfer versions exist in this format)
2- select ctr transfer option
3- wait for it to ctr transfer to 9.2.0-20u
4- install menuhax+hbloader normally.

The only differences would be not using sysupdater and manually updating.

Last edited by Alex658,

cravas

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Can anyone help here? People usually tell others to ask here and not create new threads, but posts get easily buried here otherwise, apparently.

I was thinking of something along:
1- boot decrypt9wip either via browserhax or mset payload as decrypt9.nds (if newer ctr transfer versions exist in this format)
2- select ctr transfer option
3- wait for it to ctr transfer to 9.2.0-20u
4- install menuhax+hbloader normally.

The only differences would be not using sysupdater and manually updating.

Why not doing the full A9LH install instead? The time to do it is about the same and the benefits are even greater.

You can do the part 1 for Decrypt9, either with MSET or with Browser (if He has one)
Make a backup of both Sysnand and Emunand and copy all SD to a folder on PC (this will let you have the Nintendo 3DS folder that is attached to the Emunand and Sysnand).

After the backup, instead of doing the 9.2 CTR transfer, do the 2.1.(Part 2 of the guide).

Then in part 3, just restore the Emunand to the console and the Nintendo 3DS that goes with it and He'll have the console as it was with A9LH.
Easy as that.

But, yes, you can do the 9.2 and keep the HBL+Menuhax just the same.
Just make sure your booting on Sysnand and launching Decrypt from there before doing the 9.2 transfer.
Also, I saw somewhere that if the transfer errors, don't reboot. Just try the transfer again.

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Why not doing the full A9LH install instead? The time to do it is about the same and the benefits are even greater.

You can do the part 1 for Decrypt9, either with MSET or with Browser (if He has one)
Make a backup of both Sysnand and Emunand and copy all SD to a folder on PC (this will let you have the Nintendo 3DS folder that is attached to the Emunand and Sysnand).

After the backup, instead of doing the 9.2 CTR transfer, do the 2.1.(Part 2 of the guide).

Then in part 3, just restore the Emunand to the console and the Nintendo 3DS that goes with it and He'll have the console as it was with A9LH.
Easy as that.

But, yes, you can do the 9.2 and keep the HBL+Menuhax just the same.
Just make sure your booting on Sysnand and launching Decrypt from there before doing the 9.2 transfer.
Also, I saw somewhere that if the transfer errors, don't reboot. Just try the transfer again.

It requires downgrading/ctr transfering his 4.5 nand to 2.1, further risking it (which he doesn't want and is why he's clinging to RXTools), I took the risk and did update to 9.2 before the new ctr transfer method was unveiled.

I would do his console anyway were it not because i haven't achieved my first a9lh installation and i'm not risking some one else's console solely for that goal.
Once i do one of my 2 o3ds or both of them, i'd go through that for him fully confident on what i'm doing. Catch my drift?

So for now all he wants is to be able to use a 11.1 emunand+menuhax/lesshax just like i do.
Can you answer that much to me as to if it'll work and if there's any other thing i should look out besides the stuff i mentioned?
He has an emunand backup, though. Made with a pc program (Multi emunand creator from dark matter core), I don't think that would matter at all...

Wire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to do the ctr transfer or whatever for 9.2.0 on emunand to have a 9.2.0 emunand with 11.1 sysnand w/ a9lh?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Ranomez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
So I was out of the scene (and anything else) for pretty much the whole summer cause got busy IRL and now wanted to finally attempt to do A9LH but back before I left I saw that if you had modified AGB/TWL firm on the SysNAND you had to fully restore and downgrade the EmuNAND using SysUpdater in order to not get errors, now I see this new method that uses ctrtransfer (yes, I read the whole guide by Plailect before coming here) so as I already have everything setup (homebrew launcher with entrypoint on SysNAND) was wondering if I still need to go back to my initial backup of 9.2 SysNAND that doesn't have modified AGB/TWL firms and then re-setup browserhax to do the whole thing or if I'm good to go like this?
I am sorry that I did not do the reading about how this ctrtransfer thing works but I really only have a few hours free before having to go to sleep and I do not know when I'll have free time on my hands anytime soon.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
did you mean this is said in Plailects guide, or is this something you see on your 3DS screen when you actually do it?
When you're in Decrypt9 or Hourglass9 you can unmount your SD card by pressing Select.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is it possible to do the ctr transfer or whatever for 9.2.0 on emunand to have a 9.2.0 emunand with 11.1 sysnand w/ a9lh?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Yes but why would you want to?

So I was out of the scene (and anything else) for pretty much the whole summer cause got busy IRL and now wanted to finally attempt to do A9LH but back before I left I saw that if you had modified AGB/TWL firm on the SysNAND you had to fully restore and downgrade the EmuNAND using SysUpdater in order to not get errors, now I see this new method that uses ctrtransfer (yes, I read the whole guide by Plailect before coming here) so as I already have everything setup (homebrew launcher with entrypoint on SysNAND) was wondering if I still need to go back to my initial backup of 9.2 SysNAND that doesn't have modified AGB/TWL firms and then re-setup browserhax to do the whole thing or if I'm good to go like this?
I am sorry that I did not do the reading about how this ctrtransfer thing works but I really only have a few hours free before having to go to sleep and I do not know when I'll have free time on my hands anytime soon.
If you have modified AGB/TWL then GBA/DSiWare may not work with Luma. You can just install the non modified cias to fix that.

Ranomez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
If you have modified AGB/TWL then GBA/DSiWare may not work with Luma. You can just install the non modified cias to fix that.
That's not a problem and I know that but what I was asking is if I can do the ctrtransfer to 2.1.0 with this setup on SysNAND without risking a brick or if I need to restore my SysNAND backup (which was made as soon as I downgraded to 9.2.0) first then setup browserhax again?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
It requires downgrading/ctr transfering his 4.5 nand to 2.1, further risking it (which he doesn't want and is why he's clinging to RXTools), I took the risk and did update to 9.2 before the new ctr transfer method was unveiled.

I would do his console anyway were it not because i haven't achieved my first a9lh installation and i'm not risking some one else's console solely for that goal.
Once i do one of my 2 o3ds or both of them, i'd go through that for him fully confident on what i'm doing. Catch my drift?

So for now all he wants is to be able to use a 11.1 emunand+menuhax/lesshax just like i do.
Can you answer that much to me as to if it'll work and if there's any other thing i should look out besides the stuff i mentioned?
He has an emunand backup, though. Made with a pc program (Multi emunand creator from dark matter core), I don't think that would matter at all...
It's no more risky CTR transferring to 9.2 than it is 2.1. And it's actually way easier to set up a9lh than menuhax.

A9LH:
1. CTR transfer to 2.1
2. Visit website to install a9lh

Menuhax:
1. CTR transfer to 9.2
2. Change theme
3. Visit website to open browserhax
4. Install menuhax
5. Set up boot manager and edit boot.cfg etc

That's not a problem and I know that but what I was asking is if I can do the ctrtransfer to 2.1.0 with this setup on SysNAND without risking a brick or if I need to restore my SysNAND backup (which was made as soon as I downgraded to 9.2.0) first then setup browserhax again?
Oh no it should be fine how it is. I don't think the guide even mentions that anymore in the early sections but I'll check.

Edit: yeah it wouldn't be possible to restore it anyway since the guide does not even set up FBI until after a9lh is installed and the console updated.

Last edited by Quantumcat,
Reactions: Alex658

Ranomez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Oh no it should be fine how it is. I don't think the guide even mentions that anymore in the early sections but I'll check.
Well it does not specify if I need or not to get rid of the modified AGB/TWL firms from SysNAND before the ctrtransfer, that's why I was asking cause I remember that being needed in the early days of A9LH.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • JefferyCuddletrousers @ JefferyCuddletrousers:
    bakerman you actually dont because i ate it all!
    you named your cat succubus...??
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    @K3Nv2 I'm still gagging from yesterday and you start talking weird again.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Melons
    @K3Nv2 You told me it was named Satan.
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel:
    @HiradeGirl oh my godddd that shellllll
    You're just triggering people here.
    cant tell whats
    a better name for a cat, satan or succubus
    @HiradeGirl Tried finding shopping links where it's available, but it's only resellers on eBay.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Succubus is always a good name
    I love that pikachu galaxy shell that is so goodddd
    I wish I had a 3DS. But I skipped it altogether because I couldn't afford it. Still played some games using Citra.
    +1
    Its never too late, the OG is I think 70 -80 Used <3!!!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm pretty good at letting things go sadly others arent
    @K3Nv2 It's never a good name.
    oh btw, wondering if you can ask questions here? i made my account to try and comment but the last comment i see on a forum is from 2018 so
    are you talking about an old thread
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can ask but results vary
    yeah its old
    @Sicklyboy is your 3ds red!????? yassssss
    +1
    @JefferyCuddletrousers Ask in the chat, but it's mostly people trolling. Like @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If from 2018 best to make a new thread
    +1
    people usuallyu screech at necro posts but Idk why personally
    pfft alright
    well im superduper new to citrus and im trying to download a hello kitty cooking game (dont judge) but it was a cia file. i did the thing to turn it into cci but citra says you need the game to be a folder to import it. im kinda dumb so maybe im not looking hard enough for answers if anyone can help....
    JefferyCuddletrousers @ JefferyCuddletrousers: well im superduper new to citrus and im trying to download a hello kitty cooking game (dont...