Hacking 3DS Flashcarts - News, Updates, and Support Thread

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get prompted even with the SD card removed so that leads me to believe that it isn't on the SD card. Since I have e-shop titles, my plan is to wait for the Red-NAND feature, copy the NAND and update the redirected NAND, and then format the original to wipe the update while keeping my eshop games VIA Red-NANAD.

I've been wondering about something. There's an option in "Nintendo 3DS Camera" to copy a picture from the SD Card to the device. This leads me to believe there's storage in the 3DS. It would have been hilarious filling this up with pictures, so that no update would save itself there.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I've been wondering about something. There's an option in "Nintendo 3DS Camera" to copy a picture from the SD Card to the device. This leads me to believe there's storage in the 3DS. It would have been hilarious filling this up with pictures, so that no update would save itself there.
Yep, the 3DS has internal memory. I think that there is another storage for updates and later firmwares than for pictures and games.

sixcats

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Initial paragraph on the gateway homepage has been updated since I last checked (not sure when). Now indicates that the new firmware is in beta testing:

Our work is close to completion, but as our users know, we care very much about quality and we won't release our new firmware before it has been tested in depth and approved by our beta-testing team.
Besides better compatibility for the latest roms, we also have in the meanwhile started working on some new features that will surprise and please you all. There are many more good things to come in the future of Gateway 3DS and its users. The Future is Gateway 3DS !

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Initial paragraph on the gateway homepage has been updated since I last checked (not sure when). Now indicates that the new firmware is in beta testing:

Strictly speaking, "we won't release our new firmware before it has been tested in depth and approved by our beta-testing team" does not necessarily indicate that it currently "is in" beta testing. It may not have been sent out for beta testing yet. But it may have.

dezmen

Trophies
XP
Country
Strictly speaking, "we won't release our new firmware before it has been tested in depth and approved by our beta-testing team" does not necessarily indicate that it currently "is in" beta testing. It may not have been sent out for beta testing yet. But it may have.
Didn't some of beta testers said on this forum that he haven't heard about any beta fw?

phanteon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

the first paragraph remains unchanged.

date of the last update:
14 de noviembre de 2013 2:33:33

Didn't some of beta testers said on this forum that he haven't heard about any beta fw?

do u have the link for that?

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the first paragraph remains unchanged.

date of the last update:
14 de noviembre de 2013 2:33:33

do u have the link for that?
I don't know which thread and when it was, but I can confirm that. That was at least a week ago, but if they'd been given new firmwares to test, they would've posted here and elsewhere, so it's safe to assume they haven't received it yet.

dagro

Trophies
XP
Country
Gateway is probably doing testing privately / with only few trusted sources. I was on their "official" forum where the admin of the forum was talking about how beta testers only get the files a day or two before the release. This is to stop competitors from quickly copying before the release date of gateway.

EDIT: does anyone have any link to some SDK comparison for 3ds?

cateater1

Trophies
XP
Country
Gateway is probably doing testing privately / with only few trusted sources. I was on their "official" forum where the admin of the forum was talking about how beta testers only get the files a day or two before the release. This is to stop competitors from quickly copying before the release date of gateway.

EDIT: does anyone have any link to some SDK comparison for 3ds?

hi dagro, Noticed that you've got your gateway now, hows it fairing? i'm still on the fence.

dezmen

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know which thread and when it was, but I can confirm that. That was at least a week ago, but if they'd been given new firmwares to test, they would've posted here and elsewhere, so it's safe to assume they haven't received it yet.
Yeah there was 100% such post. Guy said that if they released fw to their beta testers then they forgot about him. Smth like that... Cant find that post :(

dagro

Trophies
XP
Country
hi dagro, Noticed that you've got your gateway now, hows it fairing? i'm still on the fence.
Great been playing it nonstop for the past 3 days. The supplier didn't post in 24 hours as they promised (did 48hour) but got it in 4 days after placing order. (Placed order at 9 in the night it was shipped on the 2nd day, got it on the 3rd). I downloaded all the 3ds roms that are in english just incase my internet shuts down in that case I can just play 3DS. I haven't tried pokemon x etc as they aren't gonna work anyways but all the working games run fine. My only complain is the sticker on the back of the card it looks like its about to peel off (hasn't yet) but other then that the card is built solid.

cateater1

Trophies
XP
Country
Great been playing it nonstop for the past 3 days. The supplier didn't post in 24 hours as they promised (did 48hour) but got it in 4 days after placing order. (Placed order at 9 in the night it was shipped on the 2nd day, got it on the 3rd).

cool thanks for the info, sounds good.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a quick question (apologies if they have been answered already):

Is there a NUS download tool or something for downloading 3DS updates? Or can they be ripped out of the latest 3DS rom dumps? ( I presume the games that require updates to run also contain the firmware update files)

dagro

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a quick question (apologies if they have been answered already):

Is there a NUS download tool or something for downloading 3DS updates? Or can they be ripped out of the latest 3DS rom dumps? ( I presume the games that require updates to run also contain the firmware update files)
Firstly why would you want to update 3DS if its <4.5? Not sure if anyone actually went through dumping the firmware by version but yea roms with higher requirement already have the required files inbuilt. If you are using Gateway 3DS it will tell the game that your firmware is some big number like 99 so it won't prompt you to update anyways unless the firmware was already downloaded on your system and you already get prompts (if you are using Gateway firmware 1.2)

Reactions: KiiWii

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First: thanks for your quick reply...

Firstly why would you want to update 3DS if its <4.5? Not sure if anyone actually went through dumping the firmware by version but yea roms with higher requirement already have the required files inbuilt. If you are using Gateway 3DS it will tell the game that your firmware is some big number like 99 so it won't prompt you to update anyways unless the firmware was already downloaded on your system and you already get prompts (if you are using Gateway firmware 1.2)

Second:
I have a 4.1.X-X fw 3DS, I dont want to update, but am looking into the possibility of updating to 4.5.x-x for functionality (still reading up on the differences between 4.1 and 4.5 fws...) I just bought my 4.1 hackable 3DS last night.

If you are using Gateway 3DS it will tell the game that your firmware is some big number like 99

I would have thought simple spoofing is not all that is required here, "emuNAND" implies that if games require files from newer SDKs its not just a spoof as you say.

We therefore need the dumped/(maybe)decrypted update files to play with. Do we not?

RickyEarl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So I've got this new 3ds XL with 4.4.0-10U. How do I prevent it from updating? I haven't set up wifi, but there may be a Nintendo Zone or two near me. Can I just switch the wifi off on the right side and be done, or do I need to do something else to make sure it never goes online and downloads an update? Or is it like my old ebook reader, which would go online to get updates even if I had disabled wifi for everything else?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages