Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I've got this new 3ds XL with 4.4.0-10U. How do I prevent it from updating? I haven't set up wifi, but there may be a Nintendo Zone or two near me. Can I just switch the wifi off on the right side and be done, or do I need to do something else to make sure it never goes online and downloads an update? Or is it like my old ebook reader, which would go online to get updates even if I had disabled wifi for everything else?

Just dont configure it to connect to your wifi.

Mine is offline ftw.

Reactions: SpaceJump

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So I've got this new 3ds XL with 4.4.0-10U. How do I prevent it from updating? I haven't set up wifi, but there may be a Nintendo Zone or two near me. Can I just switch the wifi off on the right side and be done, or do I need to do something else to make sure it never goes online and downloads an update? Or is it like my old ebook reader, which would go online to get updates even if I had disabled wifi for everything else?
It won't download an update as long as the Wifi slider is down.

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm, so if you connect to wi-fi it will update to 6.3.0 even without asking you?

Some users have confirmed that their 3DS'es have downloaded the update without their knowledge, and it just prompts them every once in a while to install it when this happens. Unless a user actively tries to install the update, it's not possible to "accidentally" update a 3DS. I've not consistently had my wifi switch in the ON position since I got my 3DS back in August and it's not downloaded any kind of firmware update in the background.

For more info on this, see kyogre123's post (with pictures) on how it's not possible to accidentally update a 3DS. http://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-...-update-2013-11-01.357776/page-7#post-4834377

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just hope Nintendo doesn't start handing out bans for playing Pokémon online with a redNAND. Does anyone have an idea how easily detectable a redNAND would be for Nintendo?

Ennea

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I just hope Nintendo doesn't start handing out bans for playing Pokémon online with a redNAND. Does anyone have an idea how easily detectable a redNAND would be for Nintendo?

It wouldn't be detectable through a game. At least not in theory.

benzs129

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got 3ds XL form black friday it came with 4.4 :D~~~ Now Do I have to update to 4.5 to play game that required 5.1 or higher update?

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
No you dont, any firmware between 4.1-4.5 will work with anygame apart from the games Built with SDK 5+ and Pokemon X/Y and ACNL, quite a few 5.1 games aren't built on SDK 5 though

Also about the prompt, Seems to prompt me 1x a day about update, and it happened within minutes of me first setting up wifi so i could check how shitty the in built browser was

benzs129

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh, thank you for responding~! Do you know where I can buy the card in cheapest and fastest shipping? I'm live in California

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey people, I've been wondering about something these days, if we are now able to modify firmwares and stuff, can we create some sort of hybrid cfw with dev functionalities which could still launch games ?

I don't know if its available, but I'm quite sure there's already an SDK leak right ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: imagine not having hands, cringe