Hacking 3DS Flashcarts - News, Updates, and Support Thread

kiefer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Did you put the launcher file on the SD card?

Yes, I've tried with and without the launcher on the SD. The manual doesn't mention putting the launcher on there until step 3.

I just followed the instructions in the manual. I copied the files over from "Blue Card (R4i)" to a FAT32 formatted SD Card. I then stuck the SD card in the blue cart, and loaded the deep labyrinth game. I then get the message "Can't open _dsmenu.dat"

I downloaded the firmware and manuals from here. - http://www.gateway-3ds.com/downloads.html

My 3DS is 4.5.0-8E.

masaemon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you again for your kind response, dagro.
Actually I don't have a GW yet. I'm a newbie and want to learn some about it.
Now I know if I bought a GW, I can play 5.x~ games even I stick on 4.5(I'm already on it).
Retail or Pirate, I'm not sure, but I'm really interested in these hacking things and I also have to buy retails because I don't know how to explain it to my kids...
I barely play games but I really love to know about them, maybe I don't want to be left behind.
Anyway, thanks for your time and patience for me!

ground

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for your replies > dagro & ground

So do you mean:
1) if I want to play a retail card temporally (with update program below 4.5), I need a DS game(or a DS flash card?) to run once then I can use the retail 3DS card safely?
2) if I want to play retail cards permanently(with update programs above 5.x), I CAN just update my 3DS using the update programs which contained in the retail card? won't that brick my 3ds?
3) if I want to play retail cards temporally (with update programs above 5.x), that's not possible for now without emu-NAND.

Forgive my ignorance, I have some other questions:
4) Can the GW files be uninstalled completely just as a totally "CLEAN" official 3DS?
5) I did see some information that say "Once you used GW on your 3DS, updating to official FWs might brick your 3ds", is that true?
e.g. :
buy a 4.1 console -> update to 4.5 by a retail card -> use GW = safe
buy a 4.1 console -> use GW -> update to 4.5 by a retail card = might brick?
buy a 4.1 console -> update to 4.5 by a retail card -> use GW -> update to 6.x = might brick?

Or if I uninstall GW before updating will be absolutely safe?

Sorry for being so wordy, please give me your helps. Thanks!
no no no,

NEVER, IN ANY WAY UPDATE ABOVE 4.5 if you do so, you cant rutn back and lose the gateway compability.

1)you can also just restart your 3ds, it will get you out of gateway mode to,

2)you can update above 4.5 but you arent able to use gateway anymore( not in any way at the moment)

3)yes

4)yes, it wil reset once you started a ds mode software

5) someone stated that it is possible, but it COULD brick your console. it depends what the update is writing ( if it is overwriting the exploit, while using it it will brick)

Chaldron

GBATemp's Official Attorney
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a question about the installer.

Does it still block update nag if you install it on a 6.3 system? I finally got my flashcart working on 6.3 (had to cut the PCB) and I was wondering if there was a way to kill the update nag - I heard it did so for 5.1 but didn't hear any updates on it after that.

Thanks.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a question about the installer.

Does it still block update nag if you install it on a 6.3 system? I finally got my flashcart working on 6.3 (had to cut the PCB) and I was wondering if there was a way to kill the update nag - I heard it did so for 5.1 but didn't hear any updates on it after that.

Thanks.
If you're on 6.3, there's VERY little to no hope for you to be able to use Gateway in the future. 6.1? More hope, but still fairly hopeless.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of what can happen is at this point speculation until that fable that called itself 2.0 is released. ;) Honestly, that's the best suggestion we can offer: just get another console.

masaemon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
5) someone stated that it is possible, but it COULD brick your console. it depends what the update is writing ( if it is overwriting the exploit, while using it it will brick)

Thanks ground, it is very helpful.
So, "while using it" you said, what exactly the circumstances could be? Gateway mode?
If I "uninstall" the GW file before update, it will be absolutely safe?

JohnnyBlaze1986

FUCK GBATEMP!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.gbatempsucks.com
XP
Country
United States
Instead of holding the update hostage until they figure out how to get Pokemon and Animal Crossing to work, they should just make that 2.1 and just release the EmuNAND and 6.3 support for games. They WILL lose all credibility AND sales if the clones release it before they do.

I BEAT Pokemon X and quite frankly, it's an unfinished game. Out of every Pokemon main series game, it was by far the WORST. They finally got the leveling up correct, but what else is there? The story sucks, the Mega Evolutions are pointless, and there's slow down EVERYWHERE(and I was playing WITHOUT 3D on my 2DS). It's like they rushed the game to get it out in time for the holidays. It needed about six months to a year more to fully implement 3D and story. It's a HUGE disappointment. By the time I beat it, I was more wanting to play Sacred Gold or Blaze Black on my DSTwo than this atrocity! Hopefully when Pokemon Z gets released, it will be an actual COMPLETE game and fix all this crap, but I doubt it.

Animal Crossing is no better and I got tired of it after two weeks and STILL haven't gone back to touch it.

Honestly, there are MUCH better games and if people want to bitch about not being able to play JUST TWO GAMES OUT OF THE ENTIRE LIBRARY, then the hell with them. Release the EmuNAND and 6.3 game support and save the NAND saving for another update. If it's as close to completion as they claim, then what's the hold up?

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I BEAT Pokemon X and quite frankly, it's an unfinished game. Out of every Pokemon main series game, it was by far the WORST. They finally got the leveling up correct, but what else is there? The story sucks, the Mega Evolutions are pointless, and there's slow down EVERYWHERE(and I was playing WITHOUT 3D on my 2DS). It's like they rushed the game to get it out in time for the holidays. It needed about six months to a year more to fully implement 3D and story. It's a HUGE disappointment. By the time I beat it, I was more wanting to play Sacred Gold or Blaze Black on my DSTwo than this atrocity! Hopefully when Pokemon Z gets released, it will be an actual COMPLETE game and fix all this crap, but I doubt it.

It's nice to see a Pokemon fan that doesn't blindly praise a new game and can actually criticise it from a non positive point of view.

To be honest, we don't even now why they are delaying it that much. It could be a bug in the EmuNAND feature, it could be MultiROM, who knows? But like everyone else, the abstinence of information is bugging me.

Ennea

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It's simple: They are waiting until they get Pokemon fixed and to me, that pisses me off. They've said that on a few occasions....

It really seems they are. If the R4 update will be released before that, however, they are pretty much forced to release something as well, even if they haven't met some of their goals yet.

pedrobarca

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, seems like Gateway updated their website. They added a dot after their e-mail adress on the reseller page. So they are still alive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D