3DS firmware 11.8 potentially brings the Switch's method of piracy detection

Untitled.png

Looks like this is it. According to a tweet from SciresM, the latest 3DS firmware update 11.8 has ported the Nintendo Switch's piracy detection systems to the console. This strategy enables Nintendo to perfectly distinguish pirated and legit games going online and has been used before to detect and ban pirates on Switch. This is not something that can be avoided with homebrew. According to SciresM, Nintendo hasn't acted on 3DS pirates yet, but can choose to do so any time in the future.

Be careful, guys.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@RHOPKINS13
Alright, so i don’t have any pirated titles, just homebrew, if that makes any difference (probably not). How would I set up emuNAND? I have no idea.
It does make a difference, this is specifically checking if you have pirated eshop games. it doesn't even care about homebrew

It does make a difference, there were reports of people who never pirated, and they still got banned because they had homebrew CIAs installed on their system. Had it not been for that, I doubt Rosalina would have ever been developed. The whole point of it is to be able to launch a .3dsx homebrew and cloak it with a legit title that as far as Nintendo knows you could actually be playing.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Couldn’t we just stay on an older firmware and “cloak” our fw like we kind of did with the Hombrew Launcher?
Nope, in this case Nintendo's servers are expecting the 3DS to send more data. If that data is missing, Nintendo will either deny that request, or even worse they may decide it constitutes a ban.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nope, in this case Nintendo's servers are expecting the 3DS to send more data. If that data is missing, Nintendo will either deny that request, or even worse they may decide it constitutes a ban.
They're only expecting that if you're on the latest firmware though? Older FWs aren(t somehow magically going to start sending it.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I guess the CFW guys need to patch this AP bullshit out, eh? Kind of weird that they haven't... It's almost as if they've never heard of Wireshark before.

noahc3

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They're only expecting that if you're on the latest firmware though? Older FWs aren(t somehow magically going to start sending it.
Older firmwares are usually forced to update around a week after a new update is launched to go online in games.

Xalusc

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
So much misinformation. You can STILL play your pirated games just fine, the only thing that's changed is that games downloaded from CDN without a valid ticket (freeShop, CIAngel etc) will probably cause a ban from now on.
But the games you have already downloaded with said applications are still safe.

TL;DR: Don't use freeShop anymore and you're fine. Play online all you wish.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TL;DR: Don't use freeShop anymore and you're fine. Play online all you wish.

Or, you know. Don't update. People really still care about playing online on their 3DS? There's barely any games even worth playing that support online, and most of those are like 4-7 years old anyway. Time to move on to some new games people, lol.

Milkomeda

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Nintendo must of seen all the comments on this site over the last few years laughing about it's anti piracy being not up to scratch, then decided fk this, hold my beer.

Their patience with piracy is clearly wearing thin after the switch hardware debacle they recently outrighted attempted to sue 2 websites over hosting a crap ton of roms of their titles. I compare Nintendo to Walt Disney they are the Walt Disney of video gaming industry

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My real concern is that it will turn into something more than a seed ban at this stage. I'm already affected by that, but if it turned into an account ban which also affected the Switch, which I idiotically have linked with the same account, I'd be pretty fucked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: ye