1. Marcus Aseth

OP Marcus Aseth Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Italy
    Pretty much what the title says: can the wrong charger lower your battery lifespan?

I have a 3ds LL (japanese version of the XL), on the back cover it says "ニンテンド3DS用ACアダプター[WAP-002(JPN)]を使用してください" which should roughly translate to "Please use an AC adapter [WAP-002(JPN)]"
    I have been using a generic 3ds adapter made in China purchased for cheap, which I suspect messed up with my previous battery.
    The problem with the [WAP-002(JPN)] is that it has those "rectangular" like connectors that won't fit on the power outlets here in Italy.
    Using a nintendo adapter sold in EU stores would be as good as that japanese one?
    Or the battery installed in this 3ds LL has different requirements?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  2. Extrasklep

Extrasklep gbaTemp Fan

Poland
    The batteries and chargers are all the same in different regions except that the chargers have different plugs and AC input voltages
    An european charger will work as well as the japanese one and an european battery is the same thing except it probably has different text on the labels

TurdPooCharger likes this.
  3. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Italy
    Charging control is done by the console (as it has to be for a lithium battery you can't exactly charge blindly), the power brick is just a source of 4,6V (itself a nominal figure, with the system accepting 5 V fine)

By the way the official 2/3/DS/i/Nintendo access point power bricks are multivoltage, at these modest power levels it costs more to design and stock two PCBs than to make a single international design (unlike the Wii one for example)

4. Extrasklep

Extrasklep gbaTemp Fan

Poland
    My EU chargers say 220-240V but maybe that's not true

5. TurdPooCharger

United States
    Here's a thread that talks about wall plug standards for 3DS systems depending on your region or country.
    Basically, whatever AC charger you use in Italy for Italian market sold n3DSXL, you would use that same charger for your Japanese imported n3DSLL.

6. zxr750j

zxr750j GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Just buy an usb-charge cable then u can plug it in anything, 5V is 5V. Nintendo doesn't magically make cleaner volts through their adapters.

7. Ryccardo

Italy
    Well, technically it's true - just that there are more options than they tell you :)

(I had never seen it this way but Nintendo is one of the companies that tried the most hard to not include a power brick and sell it separately, meaning that if you moved into another country you could readily find the local model in stores - smells of attempted revenue enhancing and/or discouraging of imports)

Extrasklep likes this.
  8. Marcus Aseth

OP Marcus Aseth Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Italy
  9. Ryccardo

Italy
    Why do you think it shouldn't work?

(because the cable may be crap, but still...)

10. TurdPooCharger

United States
    You can connect that USB-to-(3)DS(i) charger cable to a standard 5 V USB port from a computer to 3DS system. The same applies for most AC charger plugs for cellphones.

Computer-&-different-charger-n3DSXL.png

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - lifespan, charger, charger