Hardware 3ds charger - can the wrong charger lower your battery lifespan

Marcus Aseth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Pretty much what the title says: can the wrong charger lower your battery lifespan?

I have a 3ds LL (japanese version of the XL), on the back cover it says "ニンテンド3DS用ACアダプター[WAP-002(JPN)]を使用してください" which should roughly translate to "Please use an AC adapter [WAP-002(JPN)]"
I have been using a generic 3ds adapter made in China purchased for cheap, which I suspect messed up with my previous battery.
The problem with the [WAP-002(JPN)] is that it has those "rectangular" like connectors that won't fit on the power outlets here in Italy.
Using a nintendo adapter sold in EU stores would be as good as that japanese one?
Or the battery installed in this 3ds LL has different requirements?

Last edited by Marcus Aseth,

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Pretty much what the title says: can the wrong charger lower your battery lifespan?

I have a 3ds LL (japanese version of the XL), on the back cover it says "ニンテンド3DS用ACアダプター[WAP-002(JPN)]を使用してください" which should roughly translate to "Please use an AC adapter [WAP-002(JPN)]"
I have been using a generic 3ds adapter made in China purchased for cheap, which I suspect messed up with my previous battery.
The problem with the [WAP-002(JPN)] is that it has those "rectangular" like connectors that won't fit on the power outlets here in Italy.
Using a nintendo adapter sold in EU stores would be as good as that japanese one?
Or the battery installed in this 3ds LL has different requirements?
The batteries and chargers are all the same in different regions except that the chargers have different plugs and AC input voltages
An european charger will work as well as the japanese one and an european battery is the same thing except it probably has different text on the labels

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Charging control is done by the console (as it has to be for a lithium battery you can't exactly charge blindly), the power brick is just a source of 4,6V (itself a nominal figure, with the system accepting 5 V fine)

By the way the official 2/3/DS/i/Nintendo access point power bricks are multivoltage, at these modest power levels it costs more to design and stock two PCBs than to make a single international design (unlike the Wii one for example)

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Charging control is done by the console (as it has to be for a lithium battery you can't exactly charge blindly), the power brick is just a source of 4,6V (itself a nominal figure, with the system accepting 5 V fine)

By the way the official 2/3/DS/i/Nintendo access point power bricks are multivoltage, at these modest power levels it costs more to design and stock two PCBs than to make a single international design (unlike the Wii one for example)
My EU chargers say 220-240V but maybe that's not true

zxr750j

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just buy an usb-charge cable then u can plug it in anything, 5V is 5V. Nintendo doesn't magically make cleaner volts through their adapters.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
My EU chargers say 220-240V but maybe that's not true
Well, technically it's true - just that there are more options than they tell you :)

(I had never seen it this way but Nintendo is one of the companies that tried the most hard to not include a power brick and sell it separately, meaning that if you moved into another country you could readily find the local model in stores - smells of attempted revenue enhancing and/or discouraging of imports)

Reactions: IC_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually purchased this in 2018 https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B01N07JARI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , but I have to replace the battery since that same years, so didn't tried out yet :S
Can I just plug it to my powered pc with the 3ds turned off and let it recharge?

You can connect that USB-to-(3)DS(i) charger cable to a standard 5 V USB port from a computer to 3DS system. The same applies for most AC charger plugs for cellphones.

Computer-&-different-charger-n3DSXL.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn