3DS cartridges could store up to 8GB

JonthanD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ChrisRX said:
JonthanD said:
If its hardware that would kind of suck a few years from now, if its software at least it can be fixed in the future with some sort of firmware update. It kind of confuses me a bit that in this day and age of high capacity memory that there would be some sort of artificial limit on the amount of storage.
I think it's actually a hardware limitation as 8GB would require quite a few address lines to access all the memory (unless they make the block size really large). This is because they've designed 3DS carts with the same pin count as DS to keep backwards compatibility but it does mean that now they've got to work with a smaller address bus that was only designed to handle 512MB maximum

Ahhh that makes sense, thank you.

So they are probably already using or going to use bank switching? lol probably showing my age here... unless something has replaced ye old bank switching.

I would have thought the DS used some sort of 32 bit addressing independent of the interface, sort of like USB having 8 pins and still being able to access 2TB drives but now that I think about it that would be more expensive to add a bus system to each cart no matter how simple something is X money times 10 million gets expensive.

Anyway thank you again for your post!

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sop said:
The 2TB SDXC's will sell like mad if a flashcart is made for the 3DS.

something tells me 2tb sdxcs will be incredibly expensive. a 64gb are in the range of 220-349 right now. i would not be suprised if a starting price would be 1000.

we dont have prices now but assuming its near ds game prices, it will be the price of just about 9 games (if the price of a 2tb is at 349), of a card you probably wont even fill up anyways

8 gigabyte = 0.0078125 terabytes, and that gets you roughly 255 games (give or take depending on how much actual size the 2tb is). i highly, highly doubt that most people will ever have that many games on their 3ds flash cart (not to mention there probably wont be that many games for ages, or even at 8gb in general
tongue.gif
).

and this is assuming people have their precious flashcarts on the 3ds anytime soon.

i hope if there is indeed a "install to memory" feature or something like this that it can store more than one game, or allow it on a sd card or something, because i don't want to really want to carry carts around with me.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bladexdsl said:
how the hell is there no limits unlimited dsl isn't in oz yet....?

Just because I consider myself Australian doesnt mean I live there ;p

But Australia might be getting that nationwide fibernet, means that 2GB a game is easy as pie

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Bladexdsl said:
GundamXXX said:
Midna said:
GundamXXX said:
Maybe the 8GB will be used for 3D movies on the 3DS?
They had movies on the GBA so why not on the 3DS
Haha. Do you know how small movies are at 800 x 240?

3D movies in HD quality? No clue, enlighten me because I dont think its been done before ;/
Coraline 3DBD: 82.1GB
That's a 1080p(HD) 3D movie.

Divided by 4.5 for the 3DS's resolution: 18.24GB

I'm no mathematician, so feel free to lol at my mistakes.
Also bear in mind that includes menus etc. which likely would be much more minimal on a handheld.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
on a more positive note; at least the games will look much better, then again there was only really like 10 games i played on the DS; out of the some 300 roms i have downloaded.

Thinking of not pirating on this one guys

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Nollog said:
Bladexdsl said:
GundamXXX said:
Midna said:
GundamXXX said:
Maybe the 8GB will be used for 3D movies on the 3DS?
They had movies on the GBA so why not on the 3DS
Haha. Do you know how small movies are at 800 x 240?

3D movies in HD quality? No clue, enlighten me because I dont think its been done before ;/
Coraline 3DBD: 82.1GB
That's a 1080p(HD) 3D movie.

Divided by 4.5 for the 3DS's resolution: 18.24GB

I'm no mathematician, so feel free to lol at my mistakes.
Also bear in mind that includes menus etc. which likely would be much more minimal on a handheld.
I will lol at your mistakes. Because 1080p or 240p as the 3DS has it, describes vertical resolution. Okay, say you have an HDTV with a resolution of 1920×1080. That's 2 073 600 pixels. Now we have the 3DS, at 800x240. That's 192 000 pixels. That's 10.8 times smaller. Not 4.5. Which, all tolled, is 7.6GB for top quality 3DS Coraline.

Of course, I'm not sure the producers of Coraline felt the need to compress their video too much, given they're working with Blue Ray. Movies can get a hell of a lot smaller than that at the resolution of the 3DS. And keep in mind the 3D really has nothing to do with the video file size. They just need to make the video right and the parallax barrier takes care of the rest.

tylerxian

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is just fantastic, with what I assume to be greatly improved security features against piracy and the fact that ROMs may be up to 8GB, this may be the first portable PS3 and boy, what a job it'll do against pirates.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Bladexdsl said:
GundamXXX said:
SOS-Rens said:
I thought the films were able to download in the 3DS Shop as 3DSWare

Hmmm maybe I missed that, but trying to download films would be a pain in the arse I reckon if you dont have fast internet
and lots of bandwidth
smileipb2.png
Well 3DS films won't be very big. I can't see them going over 500MB. I mean considering how sall the screen is you won't need more.

But even if they were. There is no internet with bandwidth limitation in gerrmany. So even if it would take me a while with my DSL 6k (there is way faster but I don't really have the money for it) I would eventually get the movies.
biggrin.gif

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
A potential maximum capacity of 8GB certainly is a fantastic amount of wriggle room for 3DS developers. If Nintendo's limit is uncapped, we will most certainly see some potentially-fantastic titles for Nintendo's promising new system.

On a different note, this beefed up capacity begs the question of how piracy will be handled when (or if) it is ever made possible on the 3DS. The current method of a flash cart and MicroSD card works well for the current line of DS systems, as the maximum capacity for those games is a comparatively paltry 512 MB (or is it Mb? Well, regardless, it's still tiny compared to even the minimum required capacity for the 3DS). But will the same method be practical if it is ever an option? I imagine many users would be straining for storage space on account of the 3DS's large game files, even on the roomiest of SD cards.

Of course, it remains to be seen if piracy or homebrew will ever be tangible on Nintend's new handheld. All I'm saying is, if it ever does become a reality, perhaps we'll see it in a different form than what we've grown so accustomed to (perhaps to the point of being spoiled) on the DS.

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Slowking said:
Bladexdsl said:
GundamXXX said:
SOS-Rens said:
I thought the films were able to download in the 3DS Shop as 3DSWare

Hmmm maybe I missed that, but trying to download films would be a pain in the arse I reckon if you dont have fast internet
and lots of bandwidth
smileipb2.png
Well 3DS films won't be very big. I can't see them going over 500MB. I mean considering how sall the screen is you won't need more.

But even if they were. There is no internet with bandwidth limitation in gerrmany. So even if it would take me a while with my DSL 6k (there is way faster but I don't really have the money for it) I would eventually get the movies.
biggrin.gif

by then 32 GB minisd's will be affordable, most likely.

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
How about a Flash Cart with a USB-Port? You can buy an external disk from 1TB for 100 euro's (I don't know about the dollars). 1TB : 8GB = 125.
For 100 euro's you can buy 125 games. But you still have to buy the Flash Cart itself, and you can't walk a lot.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
Waflix said:
How about a Flash Cart with a USB-Port? You can buy an external disk from 1TB for 100 euro's (I don't know about the dollars). 1TB : 8GB = 125.
For 100 euro's you can buy 125 games. But you still have to buy the Flash Cart itself, and you can't walk a lot.
Why bump a relatively old topic? There might not be any flash cart necessary.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: they need to have a strong line up on the launch titles too. I think they should move metroid...