OP
Trophies
Website
st4rk.net
XP
Country
Brazil
I had this same problem with 1.1.

When I start it, the top screen is, for one eye, very dark. It's not a solid dark area, it moves when I tilt the screen.

If I completely turn off 3D, instead of one eye being dark, the whole screen flickers.

Also, what's the file name length limit on this?

The emulator doesn't support 3D yet.

Well, is "20" char.

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The emulator doesn't support 3D yet.

If it doesn't support 3D, it shouldn't show 3D, but that should just mean that it shows 2D--both eyes see the same thing. It shouldn't mean that one eye sees an image with a large black spot covering most of the screen. And it certainly shouldn't mean that with 3D turned off, the image flickers .

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it doesn't support 3D, it shouldn't show 3D, but that should just mean that with 3D turned on both eyes see the same thing. It shouldn't mean that one eye sees an image with a large black spot covering most of the screen And it certainly shouldn't mean that with 3D turned off, the image flickers .
To prevent the half image thing, both framebuffers still need to be written to which for now results in some slowdowns. It isn't that hard to move the slider to the off position, and I haven't experienced flickering in 1.2 when turning the slider off (in the 3D test version, yeah there is some of that but it is to be expected).

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*removed offtopic part*

So St4rk..... why exactly are the names limited to 20 characters. Is it just the way its coded or is it just a limit you can bypass or what. Obviously i know very little of coding.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had this same problem with 1.1.

When I start it, the top screen is, for one eye, very dark. It's not a solid dark area, it moves when I tilt the screen.

If I completely turn off 3D, instead of one eye being dark, the whole screen flickers.

Also, what's the file name length limit on this?
Turn 3d off while you're at the home screen, before you run the emulator, then it looks fine.

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Coded, i think more is useless

I don't think it's useless.

I just checked a mostly complete No-Intro set. It has 2645 ROMs total. 2354 of them are more than 20 characters ling (that's 92%). 692 are greater than 40 characters long (27%). 2 are even longer than 80 characters. The longest name is "Famicom Doubutsu Seitai Zukan! - Katte ni Shirokuma - Mori o Sukue no Maki! (Japan).zip" at 87.

st4rk

nah
OP
Trophies
Website
st4rk.net
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't think it's useless.

I just checked a mostly complete No-Intro set. It has 2645 ROMs total. 2354 of them are more than 20 characters ling (that's 92%). 692 are greater than 40 characters long (27%). 2 are even longer than 80 characters. The longest name is "Famicom Doubutsu Seitai Zukan! - Katte ni Shirokuma - Mori o Sukue no Maki! (Japan).zip" at 87.

3DS screen-size is not big, then i think is not good use long name size.

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Coded, i think more is useless

While I fully respect your right to code it as you see fit, I foresee the filename limit being a hindrance to some. Just looking through the list of NES roms on my computer, I can see at least a dozen or so games that will need to be renamed in order to work with your emulator. These days, people are more likely to simply download the entire collection and copy it over without looking at the individual files first. The other likely scenario is that they're simply copying their pre-existing collection for use with 3DNES.

Unless the filename limit is something that is necessary for performance reasons, I don't see a need to have one in the first place. Considering that the roms are stored on the 3DS SD card, there are more steps required to fix a rom's name than if the roms were stored on the microSD, especially on 3DSes with an emuNAND setup. From a standpoint of user-friendliness, a fewer amount of times you need to use your PC for setup leads to higher user retention. While this isn't much an issue while the homebrew scene is in its infancy, this won't always be the case. Eventually the scene will mature and there will likely be more than one emulator for a given system. Don't let the current lack of competition foster complacency.

Right now, your emulator is the standard-bearer for NES emulation on the 3DS, whether or not you realize it. Why not use that position to establish a standard of excellence? I appreciate all of the contributions you have made so far to make NES emulation possible. I just wanted to point out some of the overlooked consequences of current limitation. I know that this project is only going to get better with time.

st4rk

nah
OP
Trophies
Website
st4rk.net
XP
Country
Brazil
While I fully respect your right to code it as you see fit, I foresee the filename limit being a hindrance to some. Just looking through the list of NES roms on my computer, I can see at least a dozen or so games that will need to be renamed in order to work with your emulator. These days, people are more likely to simply download the entire collection and copy it over without looking at the individual files first. The other likely scenario is that they're simply copying their pre-existing collection for use with 3DNES.

Unless the filename limit is something that is necessary for performance reasons, I don't see a need to have one in the first place. Considering that the roms are stored on the 3DS SD card, there are more steps required to fix a rom's name than if the roms were stored on the microSD, especially on 3DSes with an emuNAND setup. From a standpoint of user-friendliness, a fewer amount of times you need to use your PC for setup leads to higher user retention. While this isn't much an issue while the homebrew scene is in its infancy, this won't always be the case. Eventually the scene will mature and there will likely be more than one emulator for a given system. Don't let the current lack of competition foster complacency.

Right now, your emulator is the standard-bearer for NES emulation on the 3DS, whether or not you realize it. Why not use that position to establish a standard of excellence? I appreciate all of the contributions you have made so far to make NES emulation possible. I just wanted to point out some of the overlooked consequences of current limitation. I know that this project is only going to get better with time.

I understood it, but my focus right now is *speed*, i will work on a good FileSystem in the next releases, i think i talked about it some time ago here, but anyway, thank you for your post.

Reactions: Margen67

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand the screen size issue, but that shouldn't be a reason to prohibit a rom from being loaded just because its file name is too long to be displayed on-screen. NESDS, for instance, doesn't show the entire filename if its too long, but will still load the rom regardless. You can worry about single-line full name visibility for a much later release, as that's more of a vanity feature.

I think a temporary fix of simply extending the current limit will have immediate benefits for testing purposes, as you could just throw whatever rom you wanted to test at it without any renaming. Since we know that the current longest title is 87 characters, a limit of 90 characters would cover all known roms out of the box. Once you hammer out the speed issues, you could then go back and make a better file system without worrying if the long names will break compatibility, as your old system would have already been proven to work with them.

To make a comparison to cars, focusing on speed with your current file system is adding horsepower to a vanilla Honda Civic. If you add the temp fix noted above, it'd be adding HP to a Civic Si instead. Neither one is a full-fledged sports car, but at least one of them is at least better equipped to use in a race before any optimization.

Reactions: Margen67

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Just rename the rom, arguing to allow longer file names but not show the longer filename is a bit.......ermmm pointless, there are programs you can get that will batch rename everything and shorten the names, this emulator is basic atm, it's a work in progress, getting the emulator running good is more of a priority than a nice file browser, I doubt many people would truly be planning to run through the whole No-Intro set, I think most people would be happy with Mario 2.nes zelda.nes metroid.nes, I appreciate it's something for the future, but as he has said, it's not his focus atm speed and compatibility would be I imagine

fantasypower999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't seem to get the 3dnes to load.
This is what I did:
put 3DNES 1.2.3ds in microsd in red gateway card
create 3DNES folder in SD card
create SAVES and ROMS folder in 3DNES
put mega man 6 in roms folder

I started gateway mode, pressed select, and I only see a white blank image, not the nes controller you have in the youtube video. I presed a but nothing happened. Can anyone help me?

st4rk

nah
OP
Trophies
Website
st4rk.net
XP
Country
Brazil
This is what I did:

I started gateway mode, pressed select, and I only see a white blank image, not the nes controller you have in the youtube video. I presed a but nothing happened. Can anyone help me?

Very strange... i changed the image to a little NES, re-download the file and put in your miniSD.

Tybus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is what I did:

Have you trying reseting your unit?... I've had this problem but with a simple reset it worked... Also, try renaming the 3DNES 1.2.3ds to a simple 3DNES.3ds o a simple name that you like... I will try to download the latest version to see if the file has a problem...

By the way... Back in my days Mediafire used to corrupt the files... that could be the problem... Maybe...

Just downloaded it and it worked... By the way... New Icon is not a Joypad, its an actual NES :)

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you checked your micro with the test thing? Either your micro is fake or the 3dnes file is fragmented. These are the two things i know of that lead to the white file. Reformat your sd card try again

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
nobody maintained DS list.
I will try to make a 3DS list as it's still in its earlier developement and there aren't too many to start a list. (I will do it on wikitemp to start it, until I or we found a good layout and choose which information to provide, then maybe it could be switch to 3dbrew).

Reactions: Cortador

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.