Hacking 3.4E Softmod Guide By Lomax

Lomax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I wrote the guide below for my own reference, but figure someone out there might find it useful. I used it against a Wii with firmware v3.4E, DC2Pro modchip installed. This guide should work for a non-modchipped system. For other firmware versions, your mileage may vary.

File names mentioned (ie. "aad1f_v108.zip") can be found within "SoftmodGuideByLomax.rar", which is available from here. COMMERCIAL IOS WADS HAVE BEEN REMOVED FROM THE PACK AS PER GBATEMP MOD REQUEST. THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW WILL TELL YOU WHEN YOU NEED TO GOOGLE TO FIND A PARTICULAR FILE.

Wii Firmware v3.4E, DC2Pro Modchip Installed
================================

1. Install the Homebrew Channel (HBC)
--------------------------------------------------
1.1 Extract "aad1f_v108.zip" onto an SD card.
1.2 Extract "boot.elf" from "hackmii_installer_v0.6.zip" and place it onto the root of the SD card.
1.3 Insert the SD Card and boot the Wii. Go to Wii->Data Management->Channels->SD. It should prompt with "Load boot.dol/elf?". Choose yes, and the HackMii installer should start.
1.4 Install BootMii, DVX, and HBC from the HackMii installer. Install BootMii as boot2 if possible, otherwise IOS.
1.5 Reboot the Wii into BootMii and perform a backup (when the bootmii screen appears, use the "eject" button to change options, and the "Power" button to select an option).

2. Install WAD Manager (Allows WAD file execution, namely the Trucha Bug Restorer)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.1 Create a folder on the SD card called "apps".
2.2 Create a folder under the "apps" folder and call it "WAD Manager 1.5".
2.3 Extract the contents of "WAD-Manager_v1.5.zip" archive and place them into the "WAD Manager 1.5" folder created in step 2.2.
2.4 In the "WAD Manager 1.5" folder, rename "WAD-Manager_v1.5.dol" to "boot.dol".
2.5 Boot the Wii and run HBC. Ensure that "WAD Manager v1.5" now appears in the app list and is runnable.

3. Restore the Trucha bug (Allows installation of cIOS)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
3.1 Extract the "TBR" folder from "TBR1.11.zip" and place it into the "apps" folder on the SD card.
3.2 Google to find the following wads:

"IOS15-64-v257.wad"
"IOS15-64-v523.wad"
"IOS36-64-v3351.wad"
"IOS37-64-v3869.wad"

download these and place them into the root of the SD card.
3.3 Boot the Wii and run HBC. Execute the "TBR" app.
3.4 On the first screen leave the default value, on the next screen choose to "Downgrade IOS15". Reboot when finished.

4. Install cIOS (Allows backups to run)
--------------------------------------------------
4.1 Use google to find a copy of "IOS38-64-v3867.wad", download and place into the root of the SD card (this is used by the cIOS installer).
4.2 Create a folder under the "apps" folder and call it "cIOS 38 rev 17 Installer". Extract the contents of "cIOS38_rev17-Installer.zip" into this folder.
4.3 In the "cIOS 38 rev 17 Installer" folder rename "cIOS38_rev17-Installer.dol" to "boot.dol".
4.4 Boot the Wii and run HBC. Execute the "cIOS 38 rev 17 Installer" app. On the first screen choose "IOS 15", then follow the subsequent instructions to complete the cIOS installation.

5. Install USB Loader GX (Game launcher GUI)
-----------------------------------------------------------
5.1 Run "USBLoaderGX_1.0_Installer.exe" and follow the on-screen instructions. This copies files onto the SD card into the appropriate folders (ie. under the apps folder).
5.2 Create a folder at the root of the the SD card and call it "wad".
5.3 Copy "USB Loader GX-UNEO_Forwarder.wad" into this folder
5.4 Boot the Wii and run HBC. From HBC run "WAD Manager 1.5". Follow the on-screen instructions to install "USB Loader GX-UNEO_Forwarder.wad".
5.5 Reboot the Wii and ensure the USB Loader channel appears on the channel list and executes OK.

After this, you will need an external USB drive (I use Seagate FreeAgent GO! 320GB external HDDs).

You can use WBFS Manager to format the drive and place items onto the drive. Get WBFS Manager from:

Website
or
x86
or
x64

Plug the USB drive into your PC, and install WBFS Manager onto your PC. Then use WBFS Manager to drag drop your ISOs onto the drive. Plug the USB drive into your Wii, boot, run the USB Loader channel and you're done.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@lomax: The file pack you had put together contained actual IOS files. We cannot have anything linking directly to those commercial files. The installer .dols are fine, but NO commercial files.

*link removed*

Lomax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
KiiWii said:
why 3.4 though??

Because that's the firmware I was dealing with - as I softmod other versions, I'll probably post guides here. It also happens to be the first firmware version where the Trucha bug was patched, adding an extra step to softmodding (restoring the trucha bug).

Posts merged

QUOTE(xzxero @ Jan 29 2010, 06:52 PM) will this work on 3.4U and 3.4J?

Your mileage may vary. I wrote and tested this guide against 3.4E, so thats all I can confirm as working. Having said this, I see no reason why this guide wouldn't also apply to 3.4J and 3.4U.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Imagine putting your butt near it :tpi: